URGENT NOTICE FOR WRT320N USERS: PLEASE READ!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
PhoenixDown wrote:
I wish I saw this thread first... I just went right on ahead to the linksys default firmware page and uploaded the dd-wrt.v24-13493_NEWD-2_K2.6_voip.bin

It actually seems to work okay *keeps fingers crossed*

I did however spend about an hour because the Router/DD-WRT firmware didn't like me using Admin as the username. It wouldn't allow me to save changes. I had to reset to defaults and choose a different username.

Well if it worked, then leave it be.

But maybe you won't notice a problem until you flash to a bigger-size build or second build.

Anyways, if it starts to act flaky or misbehave, and you can still access the DD-WRT Web Firmware Upgrade Administration page, then you may (or may not) still be able to flash the initial header "...320n" build before trying another build.

Firmware is tricky stuff. I would follow the instructions if they were provided by the developers themselves. They know what they're doing behind the scenes.

We're getting the fruits of their work without knowing all the details. For the majority, it's best to stick to their instructions about flashing the firmware; otherwise, it might turn into a serious problem in the future. And it will be harder for anyone to help you because you went a different upgrade path.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Borat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skarru wrote:

Sorry but I don't understand one thing in the bbb-forever's detailed guide: I still need to "erase" nvram by grounding the gpio6 or is no more necessary?

Thanks!

I followed bbb_forever's instructions - no erasing nvram or pin grounding.

I simply logged into the Linksys firmware's web interface, reset to defaults, rebooted, then re-flashed w/ DD-WRT (very brief summary of bbb_forever's detailed post).

Good luck! It looks like you already did a lot of reading, but be sure to read carefully & don't skip anything that is recommended.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borat wrote:
Skarru wrote:

Sorry but I don't understand one thing in the bbb-forever's detailed guide: I still need to "erase" nvram by grounding the gpio6 or is no more necessary?

Thanks!

I followed bbb_forever's instructions - no erasing nvram or pin grounding.

I simply logged into the Linksys firmware's web interface, reset to defaults, rebooted, then re-flashed w/ DD-WRT (very brief summary of bbb_forever's detailed post).

Good luck! It looks like you already did a lot of reading, but be sure to read carefully & don't skip anything that is recommended.

Skarru didn't state what he (she) was trying to do.

If Skarru is trying to unbrick a router (with erasing nvram or pin grounding), then my flashing instructions will NOT be able to help him (or her).

If Skarru is trying to flash the firmware on a router, then my flashing instruction may or may not help.

If Skarrus cannot understand the firmware flashing instructions at all, then I would suggest that he (she) try to set-up the router and configure the Linksys firmware to make sure the router and everything works first (i.e. connecting to the Internet and other home computers) before attempting to do anything with DD-WRT at all.

My instructions were written for intermediate-level computer users who understand general Windows networking terms and concepts pretty well and who know how to deal with different networking issues that may arise.
Skarru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Borat: Ok, I will follow bbb_forever's guide point by point, many thanks!!! :)

@bbb_forever: Yeah, you are right, I have forgotten to tell you what I want to do..
I am using my (new) WRT320N with the Original Linksys firmware, manually configured to work with my Linksys AM200, just everything works ok.

I was reading the guide for flashing with DD-WRT, and I noticed the warning posted by Eko, so I was happily surprised when reading your's detailed guide.. I am an Italian guy, so it is possible that i can make some mistake or confusion while reading a guide in English.. and so I asked you this point to avoid to brick my router.. Now, with Borat's help and yours confirmation, I feel pretty sure for flash my router by following your detailed guide!

I want to flash it with DD-WRT principally to use the SES button for toggle the wifi on or off.
Before the wrt320n I had an Asus WL-500gP (flashed with Oleg's mod firmware) and I used the EZ-button with a specific script for do that, but I have seen that DD-WRT maybe can do that from the web-based graphic interface (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/SES_Button), so I want to try if it works with my 320n.. Otherwise, I will try to write the ".sesbutton" script by myself..

Many thanks to You, bbb_forever, and Borat, for help! Thanks and cheers also for Eko and the DD-WRT community! Smile
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Skarru:
Yes, for your confirmation, DD-WRT will allow you to turn the WiFi OFF and ON in the web graphic user interface.

I've tested that feature, and it works as expected.
Skarru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
Skarru:
Yes, for your confirmation, DD-WRT will allow you to turn the WiFi OFF and ON in the web graphic user interface.

I've tested that feature, and it works as expected.

Great! I will flash my wrt320n with DD-WRT by following your guide as soon as I can! Thanks again!
Skarru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed following the bbb_forever's guide and:
1) dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin
2) dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

All done, works perfectly! Also the wifi toggle function works! DD-WRT is awesome! Thanks to all again! :)

feniks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:17    Post subject: just flashed to dd-wrt v24-sp2 13575 eko k26 BIG Reply with quote
Hi people, so far so good.

flashed first latest mini (from linksys 1.0.3 GUI) after Reset to Defaults:
dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n

and then:
dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_big

all works good. noticed just one odd thing, router operates with the amber light up above the power button. that normal with this build ? i think mini didn't have it.
Borat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Re: just flashed to dd-wrt v24-sp2 13575 eko k26 BIG Reply with quote
feniks wrote:
Hi people, so far so good.

flashed first latest mini (from linksys 1.0.3 GUI) after Reset to Defaults:
dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n

and then:
dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_big

all works good. noticed just one odd thing, router operates with the amber light up above the power button. that normal with this build ? i think mini didn't have it.

Running 13575 mini here - amber light is on solid -- I think you're fine -- you probably just didn't have mini in the router long enough to remember Wink
coldib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 20:55    Post subject: PPTP issues Reply with quote
Hi all,

first of all: Thanks for the great work. When everything runs fine I will donate something amount to help your developers.

I did everything as described in the last posts:

1. Restart (Power off)
2. Factory Defaults
3. Restart via Webinterface
4. dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin
5. Restart
6. dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin & Reset to default settings

The upgrade itself went fine and I am able to connect to the router.

But two problems appeared:

1) I cannot configure the Router via Mozilla 3.5.7. When I change some fields which would cause to change the interface by calling apply.cgi (e.q. changing the connection type frome dhcp to anything else) Mozilla doesn't show antything. With original firmware this worked and with IE8 it also works

2) The bigger problem: I am not able to connect via PPTP to my internet (ISP: Telekom Austria). This also worked with the original Firmware and I tried a lot of different settings but it always worked great!

Some notes about this two problems?
Borat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Re: PPTP issues Reply with quote
coldib wrote:
Hi all,

1) I cannot configure the Router via Mozilla 3.5.7. When I change some fields which would cause to change the interface by calling apply.cgi (e.q. changing the connection type frome dhcp to anything else) Mozilla doesn't show antything. With original firmware this worked and with IE8 it also works

2) The bigger problem: I am not able to connect via PPTP to my internet (ISP: Telekom Austria). This also worked with the original Firmware and I tried a lot of different settings but it always worked great!

Some notes about this two problems?

Hi Coldib,

Regarding the first item, I'm a huge Firefox fan, but I've always had problems using FF with DD-WRT (from other forum posts, I think we're not alone) -- so I just always use IE when configuring the router. I don't like it but I just accept it now.

Regarding PPTP, unfortunately I don't have any need for this or experience with it, so I don't have anything to offer - sorry. You probably already googled, but if not, I saw this (old) post - maybe it's helpful?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=39137

Good luck!
Stn157
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello and thank you all, especially bbb_forever, for valuable info! I'm planning to upgrade my old router to wrt320n in nearest days.

However, what is the purpose to flash dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin on top of dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin? Aren't these essentially the same builds/versions, except that the latter has some additional/specific header or sth. (which is necessary when flashing on top of stock Linksys fw)?

Or am I missing sth?

BR,

Sten

Skarru wrote:

All done, works perfectly! Also the wifi toggle function works! DD-WRT is awesome! Thanks to all again! Smile
Borat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sten,

I also didn't load dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin on top of dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin for the same reason - I believe they are identical except for the header information.

bbb_forever may be able to point out if this is wrong.

Anyway, I've had no problems, so I think this is totally fine.

Stn157 wrote:
Hello and thank you all, especially bbb_forever, for valuable info! I'm planning to upgrade my old router to wrt320n in nearest days.

However, what is the purpose to flash dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin on top of dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin? Aren't these essentially the same builds/versions, except that the latter has some additional/specific header or sth. (which is necessary when flashing on top of stock Linksys fw)?

Or am I missing sth?

BR,

Sten

Skarru wrote:

All done, works perfectly! Also the wifi toggle function works! DD-WRT is awesome! Thanks to all again! Smile
coldib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just another question:

I installed dd-wrt mini as described in the previous threads. Is it now possible to switch from mini to big?

Do I need to reset to default and so on?
wjwj
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read through almost every WRT320N related post, but what I don't get is the following:

- Does 30/30/30 reset (whith the reset button) not work at all on this device, or does it works after DD-WRT is flashed on it?
- Does the not properly connected reset button do anything at all?
- Does 30/30/30 now work with the WPS-button?
- Did Linksys fix this wrong reset button issue on lately shipped devices?
- Is this new feature only concerning holding the button during the boot-up of the router to clear NVRAM and nothing else?

What I read is that this new WPS-button feature does not affect toggling WLAN on or off (with this button), is this true?

Would be very nice if anybody could clarify this points.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: