Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router

james123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:31    Post subject: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
Hi

I have a Linksys WAG160N modem/router and a Linksys WRT54GL router with DDWRT.

I want to connect the WRT54GL to use the modem of the WAG160N, but not entirely sure how to do this

The WAG160N is set at 192.168.2.1
The WRT54GL is set at 192.168.1.1

I have disabled DHCP on the WAG160N and connected Port 1 to the internet port of the WRT54GL, and the internet light flashes green on the WRT54GL.

But I cant access the internet when wired or wireless to the DDWRT router.

Any tips? cheers
Sponsor
james123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry for the double post got an error that the first didnt go through
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
james123 wrote:
I have disabled DHCP on the WAG160N and connected Port 1 to the internet port of the WRT54GL, and the internet light flashes green on the WRT54GL.

On the GL, set the WAN port for static IP. Give it the address 192.168.2.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and a Gateway and DNS setting of 192.168.2.1
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 14:22    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
james123 wrote:
Hi
I have disabled DHCP on the WAG160N

Why did you do that?

enable it

then plug the Wrt54gl from is Wan side(Internet) to your modem.

Every thing should work great.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:10    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Why did you do that?

enable it

You prefer DHCP which expires and renews all the time and sometimes gets stuck and confused, when static is solid, reliable and never expires ?

Shame Shame Shame on you Eze Wifi !

'faire honte à; !!!
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:27    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Why did you do that?

enable it

You prefer DHCP which expires and renews all the time and sometimes gets stuck and confused, when static is solid, reliable and never expires ?

Shame Shame Shame on you Eze Wifi !

'faire honte à; !!!

:)

If our friend is a newbie, the easier way to begin with a fine settings is to unchange as much as he can, then, when every thing goes i could try to fixe is Ip and other details.

Out of box with this kind of network it should work great. So I prefer to start from basics and then go further.

If you want to say "Shame on you" in french you must say "honte sur toi" "faire honte à" is non sens here ;)

Note: i always prefer to use dhcp even if set some statics leases, this is the best way for your client to be sure the link is truelly established with main router.

If you fix the wan ip to the seccond router and disconnect the main router (on a wired architecture) you will not have any information about it on the seccond router. Wink

With dhcp server you will have information from both sides. This is helpfull if your client our repeater Router is 2 or 3 kms distant from the main router (sorry i'll often do outdoor networks)

another interesting point is that if for any reason you have to change the ip range on a network you just have to work on one device.

Bart is known as a skateboard Guru...For professionnal network he have to go back to school! Wink
Bart never heard about statics leases ? Wink
Perhaps Bart never manage a 200 Clients network, thus he will prefer DHCP. Wink

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 22:13    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
If our friend is a newbie, the easier way to begin with a fine settings is to unchange as much as he can, then, when every thing goes i could try to fixe is Ip and other details.

Since he already knows how to disable DHCP, he is not a beginner. He already knows that DHCP is for pussies, and he is trying not to be a pussy. I am only trying to help him not be a pussy.
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
If you want to say "Shame on you" in french you must say "honte sur toi" "faire honte à" is non sens here Wink

Sorry, your french is definitely much better than mine. The online translator had 3 choices, and I picked the wrong one. I'll try a different website next time. Shocked
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Note: i always prefer to use dhcp even if set some statics leases, this is the best way for your client to be sure the link is truelly established with main router.

If you fix the wan ip to the seccond router and disconnect the main router (on a wired architecture) you will not have any information about it on the seccond router. Wink

With dhcp server you will have information from both sides. This is helpfull if your client our repeater Router is 2 or 3 kms distant from the main router (sorry i'll often do outdoor networks)

another interesting point is that if for any reason you have to change the ip range on a network you just have to work on one device.

All of that is good if you have a large network that is changing all the time. He only has two little routers connected with a cable. I don't think your reasons apply to him very much. Remember, he is just a beginner....
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Bart is known as a skateboard Guru...For professionnal network he have to go back to school! Wink
Bart never heard about statics leases ? Wink
Perhaps Bart never manage a 200 Clients network, thus he will prefer DHCP. Wink

Oh, I see. That is all very true. Bart did go to school actually, but he was doing naughty things when he was supposed to be in class, and now he has no class. Mad
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey....Calm down we are not on war! ;)

i was just kidding like you do with me !:)

Of course he could use what ever he want dhcp or not, the fact is that we are waiting for his answer to know if its trouble disapear, or not.

note: doesn't bother me if you choice the bad translation i understand what you meant and i think if you look to my english you could have more remarks on it than me when you try to speak french Wink. But this have to be noticed you have try to speak other language than english...that makes me think you are not american ! Wink isn't it? Wink

yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 22:40    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:

All of that is good if you have a large network that is changing all the time. He only has two little routers connected with a cable. I don't think your reasons apply to him very much. Remember, he is just a beginner....

To be honest you are probaly right. But i'm pretty sure to go step by step for a beginner is the best way to be efficient, so as the default settings are to use dhcp request on wan side an dhcp server on lan side, i thought this was easier for him to have a quick and fine network without changing to much of settings (which he could forget five minute later that he modified it).

GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
hey....Calm down we are not on war! ;)

i was just kidding like you do with me !Smile

I know Ezy. I am still playing around too. I just finished my 10th beer and found out that two are missing somewhere, and that is making me pretend to be upset. What really upsets me is that now I have to wait 3 hours to go get some more ! Evil or Very Mad

It is good to have choices. In my original post I almost told him to turn DHCP back on, but I decided to give him a little excersize. Now that we are both helping him, he can either do it the French way or the Red-Neck way. Only he can decide which way is best for his system.
Laughing
RandmTask
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:42    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
LOL, funny thread. Im not a beginner but maybe not that far off! Messing around with multiple routers is new to me :)

A little bit more about my setup:

The IP is set at:
GL is 192.168.1.2
WAG is 192.168.1.1
MacMini is 192.168.1.4
MacBook is 192.168.1.8

DHCP

A couple of things:
GeeTek wrote:
On the GL, set the WAN port for static IP. Give it the address 192.168.2.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and a Gateway and DNS setting of 192.168.2.1

Done!

But this would only work if I have the cable from the WAG plugged in to the Internet (WAN) port on the GL right? Im not getting any internet at all when I do that, so as I state below, Ive had to connect it to port 1.

yzy-oui-fi wrote:

Why did you do that?

enable it

Nope!

If I connect Port 1 of the WAG to the Internet port of the GL using the included blue cable Internet doesnt work (wired or wirelessly connected to the GL - still works when connected to the WAG though)

Is there a setting I have to enable to make this work?

If instead I connect Port 1 of the WAG to Port 1 of the GL I get wireless internet on the MacBook but not wired on the MacMini (Using DHCP gives 169.254.137.168 so tried a couple of different IP addresses manually - currently 192.168.1.4)

GeeTek wrote:

I cant get the internet to work at all unless I have DHCP enabled on the WAG. If I disable it doesnt work.

Im probably missing something stupid :)

cheers!
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:09    Post subject: Re: Need help connecting a modem/router and a DDWRT router Reply with quote
RandmTask wrote:
LOL, funny thread. Im not a beginner but maybe not that far off! Messing around with multiple routers is new to me :)

A little bit more about my setup:

The IP is set at:
GL is 192.168.1.2
WAG is 192.168.1.1
MacMini is 192.168.1.4
MacBook is 192.168.1.8

DHCP

A couple of things:
GeeTek wrote:

Done!

But this would only work if I have the cable from the WAG plugged in to the Internet (WAN) port on the GL right? Im not getting any internet at all when I do that, so as I state below, Ive had to connect it to port 1.

yzy-oui-fi wrote:

Why did you do that?

enable it

Nope!

If I connect Port 1 of the WAG to the Internet port of the GL using the included blue cable Internet doesnt work (wired or wirelessly connected to the GL - still works when connected to the WAG though)

Is there a setting I have to enable to make this work?

If instead I connect Port 1 of the WAG to Port 1 of the GL I get wireless internet on the MacBook but not wired on the MacMini (Using DHCP gives 169.254.137.168 so tried a couple of different IP addresses manually - currently 192.168.1.4)

GeeTek wrote:

I cant get the internet to work at all unless I have DHCP enabled on the WAG. If I disable it doesnt work.

Im probably missing something stupid :)

cheers!

did i really understand what i read???

you connect port 1 to port 1 ...you mean lan to lan?

so Gl should act as "router" routing mode without any dhcp or dnsmasq services running and Wan side should be set to disable. Gateway and DNS Field should fit the WAG IP.

And so this should be all working fine.

Merry Chrismast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: