Motorola WR850G Downgrade Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lapwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 22:41    Post subject: Motorola WR850G Downgrade Problem Reply with quote
Something hiccuped in my WDS setup requiring me to reinitialize everything as it bricked my 2 WR850G I use as WDS APs (my hub router is a WRT54GL running Thibor). I still don't know the cause, but I was able to get most of it back in order. Here's the problem:

I was running V23SP2 on both and was able to get 1 re-inited and back in service. The other bricked WR850G gave me fits, but I was finally able to TFTP the original firmware back on to it and the install the micro and the std versions of V24, but I couldn't get it to play in the WDS.
I chose to flash it back down to V23SP2 to make it identical to the other and while the flash loaded OK, I can access the sys-info page, but not login to it.

I've tried hard resets, but it doesn't revert back to the default settings. I've also tried TFTP, but it won't take any flash. I didn't have the SSH flag set, so I can't use that either.

The L/P should be root/admin, but nothing I try works.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? What was your solution?

Thanks!!
Sponsor
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
use TFTP to flash back to original FW on both devices
- reset to defaults -

then use this one (assuming you have V2/V3) for initail flash

finally use this one for upgrading to a version with more features.

at the end configure WDS as usual..
lapwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybero2912 wrote:
use TFTP to flash back to original FW on both devices

I am unable to get TFTP to load ANY firmware, including the original Motorola firmware. It appears I no longer have a window at boot time to invoke a TFTP transfer.

I've tried many 30/30/30 hard resets as well as the normal power-up to get a successful TFTP transfer, but I have had zero luck.
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm... strange
how about serial or JTAG and do a nvram erase?
lapwolf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybero2912 wrote:
hmm... strange
how about serial or JTAG and do a nvram erase?

Don't know how to do either of those and I'm starting to question if this is worth the effort. Doesn't JTAG require cracking the case and soldering? I suspect if I need to crack the case I'll use a hammer rather a screwdriver. Twisted Evil
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you do not have any soldering skills try again TFTP...

be aware that the time window after powering up the device is only very short (1-4sec) where router accepts TFTP transfers - best to use a switchable power plug. If you miss that point try again and again...
razametal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same issue.
My WR850G was working well with DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std. I've done a reset and now none of the the combination of user/password (root/admin, root/motorola, admin/root, admin/motorola, root/my-previous-password) works.

However, I've tried "root" and "admin" as the username/password, as well as "<blank>" and "admin", "root"/"<old password>", "admin"/"motorola", etc. etc., and I cannot log in. I've done hard 30/30/30 resets several times and it doesn't change anything. I've tried to Telnet and PUTTY in with no luck. I've also tried to tftp back to another firmware version, but I can't get it rewrite the firmware. I've tried to search a bunch of places, and no one seems to have had this problem. :(

Does anyone have any advice? Or is my router bricked? It seems that since I can still see the status screen of DD-WRT at 192.168.1.1, it should be recoverable, but I'm out of ideas.

I'm trying to upload a fresh firmware dd-wrt.v24-14853_VINT_micro_wr850g.bin but the tftp client on my computer is getting connection timed out.

It is possible to reset the password of the unit? how?

best regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: