WRT160N V3 Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
hidden_premise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:05    Post subject: WRT160N V3 Bricked Reply with quote
I believe I have bricked my WRT160N V3. I accidentally did a firmware upgrade with the 1.0 compatible version instead of the 3.0. Is there any hope? Any way to unbrick the device?

It gives no ip address. It doesnt respond. Tftp times out. When I turn it on the power light blinks for about 15 seconds and then goes out.

Need help asap. Thanks much.

-Whit

________
I have searched the forums and web thoroughly before posting this, but if there is something already posted please link me.
Sponsor
dlaporte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same problem with a WRT160N v3. It functions as a switch (and the port link lights work), but nothing else seems to. I've ping scanned 192.168.0.0/16 and nada - no ARP entries or ping responses.

Any help is really appreciated!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
you guys do not have the same issue but the repair proceedure is the same.

You must use the serial console to stop the boot, enable the transfer protocol and send good firmware to the unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

You must use the serial console to stop the boot, enable the transfer protocol and send good firmware to the unit.

Great, thanks! I've seen how to do it for a v1 WRT160N, but not for a v3. There's a block of 12 contacts ("J2") - is it the same pinout?

thanks,
Dave
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
no... j2 is jtag and is not supported atm.. a v3 has 5 pads on top of the pcb between the processor and switch chip off center to the right. a v1 has a 5 pad edge connector if memory serves.

There are pics in the forum somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just fixed the problem for my v3 router.

There is a cisco utility built in that we should use.

The correct version of my procedure is

1. Plug the power. The power light will blink and go off afterward.
2. Press the reset button long enough, say 30 seconds. During this 30 seconds, the power light will not be on. Afterward, hold the reset and unplug the power and plug it back, You will see the power light on after blinking.
3. Release the reset button and visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.

http://192.168.1.1/f2.htm

Come back to life and enjoy it!

dlaporte wrote:
barryware wrote:

Great, thanks! I've seen how to do it for a v1 WRT160N, but not for a v3. There's a block of 12 contacts ("J2") - is it the same pinout?

thanks,
Dave

Last edited by lijianch on Wed Jan 06, 2010 21:06; edited 1 time in total
weyemar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
lijianch wrote:

Procedure is

2. Press the reset button till the power light back on. Do not unplug the power. Otherwise, step 1 will repeat.
3. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.
4. Upload the right firmware and reboot.

]

Are you serious?? I just got back from Walmart cause I swapped out my bricked WRT160Nv3 with a new one >.>
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
weyemar wrote:
lijianch wrote:

Procedure is

2. Press the reset button till the power light back on. Do not unplug the power. Otherwise, step 1 will repeat.
3. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.

]

Are you serious?? I just got back from Walmart cause I swapped out my bricked WRT160Nv3 with a new one >.>

brick it again to be sure. There are a few "secrets" in getting the router in recovery mode.. The above is a new one.. It has always gone by "timing".. Interesting.. I have fixed a few V3's and that is the 1st thing I do before opening them up.. I never saw the power light, light up when holding the reset button no matter how long..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

brick it again to be sure. There are a few "secrets" in getting the router in recovery mode.. The above is a new one.. It has always gone by "timing".. Interesting.. I have fixed a few V3's and that is the 1st thing I do before opening them up.. I never saw the power light, light up when holding the reset button no matter how long..

That procedure didn't work for me - I never saw the power light either. Can you share your "secrets"? Smile
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
dlaporte wrote:
barryware wrote:

That procedure didn't work for me - I never saw the power light either. Can you share your "secrets"? Smile

I don't have any secrets.. I meant that there is a lot of undocumented "tricks" by the oem that they do not share.

In regards to the reset button and the power light re-lighting... It may depend on the level of "brickage". Eko always figures out and posts these little tricks..

Next V3 someone sends me to fix, I'll test it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
lijianch wrote:

Procedure is

I had a bricked V3 show up today to repair.. This proceedure did not work.. The power led never came back on. So I had to open the case and use serial to get it running..

You either got lucky, or the level of "brickage" was light.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I do not make myself very clear.

2. Press the reset button long enough, say 30 seconds. During this 30 seconds, the power light will not be on. Afterward, hold the reset and unplug the power and plug it back, You will see the power light on after blinking.
3. Release the reset button and visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.

barryware wrote:
lijianch wrote:

Procedure is

I had a bricked V3 show up today to repair.. This proceedure did not work.. The power led never came back on. So I had to open the case and use serial to get it running..

You either got lucky, or the level of "brickage" was light.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
lijianch wrote:
Sorry, I do not make myself very clear.

That's a little different than you 1st explained. Next one that arrives to fix, I'll check it again.

Thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:11    Post subject: I also tried the procedure. Reply with quote
Hi guys, I am new here. I bricked my WRT160v3 trying to install DD-WRT. I tried the restart procedure, but have had no luck. Where is the serial port located? I have yet to find it.
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 18:38    Post subject: Re: I also tried the procedure. Reply with quote
I guess you upload the V24-SP2 rather than Eko build. You can try my procedure posted above to test it.

routingisfun wrote:
Hi guys, I am new here. I bricked my WRT160v3 trying to install DD-WRT. I tried the restart procedure, but have had no luck. Where is the serial port located? I have yet to find it.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: