Bricked my ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
xzb667
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15    Post subject: ping and tftp OK, no http or telnet Reply with quote
I had a problem/error upgrading to a newer firmware build in the ddwrt gui on my second Asus N16. Afterwards I was able to ping at 192.168.1.1 after pressing wps button while plugging in power. I was then able to tftp sucessfully a dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16 trx file.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT ddwrt.trx

However now I am stomped how to proceed. There is still no http or telnet, the connection times out.

UPDATE : Solved reboot took in excess of 5 minutes but it did return the default login http page

xzb667
Sponsor
bbmak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46    Post subject: Re: ping and tftp OK, no http or telnet Reply with quote
xzb667 wrote:
I had a problem/error upgrading to a newer firmware build in the ddwrt gui on my second Asus N16. Afterwards I was able to ping at 192.168.1.1 after pressing wps button while plugging in power. I was then able to tftp sucessfully a dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16 trx file.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT ddwrt.trx

However now I am stomped how to proceed. There is still no http or telnet, the connection times out.

UPDATE : Solved reboot took in excess of 5 minutes but it did return the default login http page

xzb667

I bricked mine before by flashing the wrong DDWRT firmware, but I was able to recover it by using the Asus Recover utility. The utility came with the CD.
Taylor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51    Post subject: Also Bricked Reply with quote
Hi there. I've had my router since bonxing week, and I finally thought I would tweak it a bit. This is my fourth Asus at home, so normally I seem to know what I'm doing.

Something weird happened today though.

After flashing with the mini trx file, then the mega, everything appeared to be ok.

Next I configured wifi, saved and applied. After I decided to tweak a few settings, some very minor ones like the channel, and then the output power. I set it from 17 to 71 and it just turned off. Now when I plug it back it, it appears to boot up, but the milisecond after the wlan light comes on, the router immediately powers off.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue. I have tried resetting it to defaults too (hold WPS on startup) but after it appears to of have reset, the WLAN light comes on and it powers off. I am currently using a 1.25 amp 12volt adapter, could a more powerful one help or something?
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29    Post subject: Re: Also Bricked Reply with quote
Taylor wrote:
Hi there. I've had my router since bonxing week, and I finally thought I would tweak it a bit. This is my fourth Asus at home, so normally I seem to know what I'm doing.

Something weird happened today though.

After flashing with the mini trx file, then the mega, everything appeared to be ok.

Next I configured wifi, saved and applied. After I decided to tweak a few settings, some very minor ones like the channel, and then the output power. I set it from 17 to 71 and it just turned off. Now when I plug it back it, it appears to boot up, but the milisecond after the wlan light comes on, the router immediately powers off.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue. I have tried resetting it to defaults too (hold WPS on startup) but after it appears to of have reset, the WLAN light comes on and it powers off. I am currently using a 1.25 amp 12volt adapter, could a more powerful one help or something?

which DD-WRT version are you using and how did you flash your router? Could be a bad flash...

deltatux
Taylor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first flash was with build 14896 of the NWED 2 K26 Asus trx thing.

The second flash was brainslayers broadcom generic 16214 k26 mega.

All flashed via the web interface. I did not reset the factory defaults after the flashes, however I lost my setting anyways.
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check your power supply. Wrong one?
Taylor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately not; I'ce been using the supplied 1.25amp Asus one all along. Jusr double checked
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set that unit to 17mW max only....it is not really mW...its dBm....17dBm is about 50mW.

http://www.aubraux.com/design/dbm-to-milli-watts-table.php

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Set that unit to 17mW max only....it is not really mW...its dBm....17dBm is about 50mW.

http://www.aubraux.com/design/dbm-to-milli-watts-table.php

redhawk

WOW what a difference between 17 and 25. Im about to lower NOW lol.
gregers05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
just got this N16 router. Used the stock firmware for about 10 mins. I kept getting dropped from the internet on my hardwired desktop. went to flash to tomato firmware but want able to get that to work.

so i tried to flash to DD-WRT. downloaded the files(i did use firefox to download), not sure what it matters though.

downloaded dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx
and it said it succesfully uploaded it.

so i tried to flash to dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin, but when i do the restore on the router the power light blinks slowly until i start to upload the file. then the power light either goes off completely or just stays on w/o blinking. either way the LAN light is still lit. then the upload gets to 99% and says that it cant communicate with the router and to check to make sure it is still in restore mode.

I cant even get in the asus GUI now. i go to the WPS wizzard and says it is unable to complete the WPS config.

so there is literally nothing i can do right now. any ideas?

would downloading the files in IE change anything?

need help ASAP!!! thanks in advance!
gregers05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
come on guys? nobody can help?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
gregers05 wrote:
come on guys? nobody can help?

This won't help except to point out your mistakes...

Alway run stock on a new router for a few days.. you said you were having problems for a few minutes running stock..

That points to a hardware problem.. Many on the forum have RMA'd the n16's and the new router had no more problems.

Then you flash tomato.. Your post is hard to understand prolly cuz of a typo but it seems that you had problems with that also..

Then you install dd-wrt.. If you installed on top of tomato, that is a problem. When going between vendors, you must always flash back to stock, then to the next firmware.

All firmware is built to either flash from stock, or flash on top of the specific provider..

stock => tomato = good
stock => dd-wrt = good
dd-wrt => tomato = bad
tomato => dd=wrt = bad

should be:

stock => tomato => back to stock => dd-wrt

or..

stock => dd-wrt => back to stock => tomato

So.. I suggest, flash you router back to stock, and RMA it. As said.. if you had problems with stock with a simple config.. nothing special.. just using it as a wireless router, the RT has hardware problems. An RMA usually fixes it.

If you can't flash back to stock via the recovery tool, the you must void you warranty and open the box and use serial.. I would just rma it.
gregers05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the tips.

to clarify, i attempted to flash to tomato but the flash failed because the file i got wasnt a .trx or .bin file so it would not even attempt to upload the file.

as it sits when i run the WPS wizzard, it fails saying:

Unable to complete the WPS settings.

1. If your computer has more than one network adapters, disconnect other connections temporarily then try again.

or

2. Restore the wireless router to its default settings and try again.

i tried the 30/30/30 and got nothing. unplugged the router over night and tried again today, still nothing.

so since the WPS wizard fails, i cant even get into the asus browser GUI.

I tried calling the asus help desk but conveniently never got an answer.

if the router would stay in restore mode while uploading firmware i think it would work. but since it exits restore mode as soon as the firmware starts to upload im SOL.
curtiplas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay all i did the same exact thing as deboyz and having the same problems as him. However, i cant get tftp to work because i can't even get a ping response from the router 192.168.1.1. PLEASE HELP
curtiplas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
deboyz1014 wrote:
Seem I bricked my Asus RT-N16 too

1. reset 30-30-30
2. u/l file 13309_newd-2_k2.6_mini_rt-n16.trx

the u/l went just fine and I was able to get to the change id/pw page of dd-wrt. Did another 30-30-30 reset, changed the id/pw, went to admin page and do a firmware upload there

1. u/l file13491_newd-2.big and got confirmation that everything uploaded just fine, however router didn't go into the id/pw change page automatically so I thought nothing of it. I went ahead and did another 30-30-30 reset and noticed that the router light didn't went dark like its supposed to be but i continued anyhow. After the final 30 reset, the wireless light doesn't come on again and and now I'm unable to access the router via 192.168.1.1. I tried firefox, ie, do another 30-30-30 reset, telnet and can't seem to connect to the dang thing now. Any thoughts on this?

How did you fix this? I can't communicate with the router on 192.168.1.1, no Web GUI, no Telnet, no TFTP, and no Ping...

Also the last power cycle caused my LAN light to go dark, so now all I get is the Power light, and WAN light if I plug in my WAN cable... Please help :/
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: