install DD-WRT (v24sp2 v13525 20091228) On WZR-HP-G300NH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
sonicsteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kinjo wrote:
bighedstev - They pulled it, sometime around the 7th or 8th.

I'm going to take this as a subtle message to not try anything yet. I'm not in a big hurry to put my router into use, and pulling the 13832 firmware is at least action. I'd say negative action which seems to say "stay away for now". What I'm reading here is encouraging though. I would love to hear how developement is going one way or the other.
Sponsor
kinjo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
As Gingernut posted in several threads, you can back out dd-wrt with stock firmware using the same procedures. So the WZR-HP-G300NH proves to be very flexible and a great investment.

m
sonicsteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kinjo wrote:
As Gingernut posted in several threads, you can back out dd-wrt with stock firmware using the same procedures. So the WZR-HP-G300NH proves to be very flexible and a great investment.

m

That is really quite good to know, still though my plan is to set this up in my schools new gym. I really have no reason to rush things, if push comes to shove I'll give it go with whatever version of DD-WRT seems best. I hope to have a month or two before the pressure starts.
wuzzduzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, is there some mirror for that file, or can some1 host it? would be very nice!
chalkos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
wuzzduzz wrote:
Hi, is there some mirror for that file, or can some1 host it? would be very nice!

I think you should wait some time and download some new release for wzr-hp-g300nh when it comes out. stock firmware is not great, but it's a little bit better than this (not very stable) version of dd-wrt.
SomeGuyInOz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
chalkos wrote:
I think you should wait some time and download some new release for wzr-hp-g300nh when it comes out. stock firmware is not great, but it's a little bit better than this (not very stable) version of dd-wrt.

That's probably good advice - I guess it would not have been removed for no reason.

That said, I've been running this firmware now for about a week and have had no real problems. Initially, I had some slow access to the web gui, but it is fine now. I have about 10 devices connected to the router, both wired and wireless. I'm using PPPoE, DHCP server with a bunch of static IP addresses, WPA, PPTP server, DDNS, Milkfish SIP router (with 2 ATAs), and a few other settings. I've tried the USB port with an 8GB USB stick and it definitely works, but I haven't really tested it beyond reading and writing a couple of files using FTP. We use VoIP for all of our phone calls and so far we've had not problems with disconnects, etc.

How is everyone else going with it?

If this router ever becomes as stable and as rock solid as my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 then I will be very happy indeed!
Slax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, dd-wrt doesn't handle interference too well. I have well over 20 APs in my neighbourhood. Buffalo always connects at 300Mbps but dd-wrt jumps between 54 mbps and 300Mbps. Of course, this slows down the connection. It's funny because if i release WAN, i connect at 300Mbps but without internet, obviously

Network share write is extremely slow (2MB/sec). I usually save all my downloads on another networked drive. I had to increase Utorrent cache 200Mb and sometimes even that is not enough and disk gets overloaded. Stock firmware doesn't have this issue, writes at over 8MB/sec.

Another minor issue is that everytime i made a change in wireless section (change channel, bonding etc), the router loses WAN connection and needs to be restarted. Renewing doesn't work.

One amazing thing about dd-wrt is that it handles outgoing as well as incoming connections very well. Buffalo does not and i think there is a 400 connection limit on the stock firmware. DD-wrt also loads pages extremely fast,when it's working properly (first 5-10 mins of initial connection).

We have come a long way, hope these issues can be fixed. I love dd-wrt on my other buffalo, cant live without it. It's like living without beer. Thank you to BrainSlayer for all his hard work.
SomeGuyInOz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well despite my previous post, I have just switched back to my Linksys WRT310N Router (with dd-wrt). My wireless connection was dropping occasionally, usually only for about 20-40 seconds, but it was enough to kill some downloads I was doing. I had no problems with my wired devices.

I'll keep playing with this router, but for now I am sticking with my *now* super reliable WRT310N.

If I only had the Buffalo, I'd still prefer to continue using dd-wrt rather than the standard Buffalo firmware, mainly because I need some of the extra features which the standard firmware doesn't have.
sonicsteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
chalkos wrote:
wuzzduzz wrote:

I just powered up this router and I have to say that I'm not impressed with Buffalo's firmware at all. It didn't even have an obvious way to turn off the DHCP server. It is very disappointing. I really hope that DD-wrt comes before I'm forced to put this thing in place. I've learned that I will never again buy a buffalo router unless I know for certain it will works with this software. I suppose I'm spoiled by DD-WRT. I will most definitely be giving a donation to this ultra worthy project.
jc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just an FYI, BrainSlayer has posted a more recent build that can be flashed via the stock Buffalo web interface in this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66494

Look for the attachment named "wzrg300nh-firmware_MULTI.bin"

Here's what my WZR-HP-G300NH says for firmware version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/20/10) std - build 13956

sonicsteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
jc wrote:
Just an FYI, BrainSlayer has posted a more recent build that can be flashed via the stock Buffalo web interface in this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66494

Look for the attachment named "wzrg300nh-firmware_MULTI.bin"

Here's what my WZR-HP-G300NH says for firmware version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/20/10) std - build 13956

Which post was this attached or linked? I see much talk of "try this here" or "try this instead" but I don't see any actual attachments.

EDIT

I don't know why I didn't see it before but it's on the 3rd page. Strange I'm not sure why didn't see it the first few times I looked. Temporary blindness.
waylo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 18:53    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote
So according to the referred thread, Brainslayer has managed to convert dd-wrt firmware into a form accepted by the Buffalo's native webgui! That makes it a lot easier for anyone not wanting to try the linux tftp method.

Here's the actual message with the attachment:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=410297#410297

You need to be logged in to see it.

Here's his explanation of what he's done.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=410347#410347

Pretty darn amazing.

Now to see if the new version doesn't have the same problems the older one did.
ahronzombi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kinjo wrote:
bighedstev - They pulled it, sometime around the 7th or 8th.
wait what do you mean pulled it? i just got this router for dd-wrt where can i dl it?
SomeGuyInOz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02    Post subject: Official Release now available Reply with quote
Quote:
wait what do you mean pulled it? i just got this router for dd-wrt where can i dl it?

Don't stress! Brainslayer has just released build 13977 of dd-wrt for the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Smile The best part is, you can now flash directly from the original Buffalo firmware - no more need to TFTP with Linux, etc.

Just look for the router in the firmware database:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

For more info, see Brainslayer's post here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=412019#412019

Finally Smile Thanks again Brainslayer for your fantastic work.
mailman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
first thing first: i'm a newbie.

today i found that i can install ddwrt... it's amazing.

please let me understand 2 thing:

1 installing ddwrt:
i find these 2 files:
a) Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Special File for initial flashing buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin 2010-02-24 12,45 MB
b) Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Webflash image wzrg300nh-dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin 2010-02-24 12,46 MB

am i right that i need just to use the buffalo webgui update and use the a/first file firmware?
That's terrific! [

2 i need the bittorent client, did anyone installed yet? will it download to the external hdd?

3 the ext hdd should be ext3?

thanx Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: