RESOLVED:Help with upgrading from 13064 to 14583 WNDR3300(B)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 22:54    Post subject: RESOLVED:Help with upgrading from 13064 to 14583 WNDR3300(B) Reply with quote


This is the model of my router: WNDR3300(B)

I have this flashed to 13064, it's been more than 6 months now I believe.

I'm looking to upgrade this to the 14583 build, and so I looked around the forums and what I understand is:

    *K2.6 after 13575 will brick this router
    *Brainslayer builds are too big to flash
    *NEWD-2 will disable wl1, which I dont use anyway
    *NEWD works perfectly


What I need:

    *802.11g mode
    *Advice for 802.11n mode, which I will need later this fall because I will be buying the HTC Evo which supports 802.11n
    *[Optional] Ability to have people "sign-in" to the network, with their name or something, for security purposes in case my ass of a roommate goes around giving out the wireless password. I did some reading, and I believe this is the NoCat feature, please confirm if this is correct Smile
    *Working QoS to prioritize ports as well as MAC addresses. Mainly to 'exempt' me, since my roommate does a LOT of heavy downloading, rendering me unable to VOIP and play MMOs.
    *I utorrent (yes I used it as a verb :p) quite a bit, and I need the router to not slow down and such due to the number of connections. As of now, my ping to Google (this is my standard way of testing for connections issues) is about 48ms. When utorrent is running, it goes up to a minimum of 120ms and a mximum of, well, lost packets lol. I'd like for this to not happen Smile


So suggest/link me to a build, and I will flash it on Smile


Last edited by txtsd on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
txtsd wrote:


This is the model of my router: WNDR3300(B)

I have this flashed to 13064, it's been more than 6 months now I believe.

I'm looking to upgrade this to the 14583 build, and so I looked around the forums and what I understand is:

    *K2.6 after 13575 will brick this router
    *Brainslayer builds are too big to flash
    *NEWD-2 will disable wl1, which I dont use anyway
    *NEWD works perfectly


What I need:

    *802.11g mode
    *Advice for 802.11n mode, which I will need later this fall because I will be buying the HTC Evo which supports 802.11n
    *[Optional] Ability to have people "sign-in" to the network, with their name or something, for security purposes in case my ass of a roommate goes around giving out the wireless password. I did some reading, and I believe this is the NoCat feature, please confirm if this is correct Smile
    *Working QoS to prioritize ports as well as MAC addresses. Mainly to 'exempt' me, since my roommate does a LOT of heavy downloading, rendering me unable to VOIP and play MMOs.
    *I utorrent (yes I used it as a verb :p) quite a bit, and I need the router to not slow down and such due to the number of connections. As of now, my ping to Google (this is my standard way of testing for connections issues) is about 48ms. When utorrent is running, it goes up to a minimum of 120ms and a mximum of, well, lost packets lol. I'd like for this to not happen Smile


So suggest/link me to a build, and I will flash it on Smile


ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/

You can use nokaid or mini only, do not try to flash to the others, also the info above is not correct. Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300. I use newd on my 3300's, seems to work fine.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 10143

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300.

It's easy to screw up though and I wouldn't recommend trying k2.6 on this model unless you have a serial cable ready to recover it.

_________________
Read the forum announcements thoroughly! Be cautious if you're inexperienced.
Available for paid consulting. (Don't PM about complicated setups otherwise)
Looking for bricks and spare routers to expand my collection. (not interested in G spec models)
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/

You can use nokaid or mini only, do not try to flash to the others, also the info above is not correct. Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300. I use newd on my 3300's, seems to work fine.

There are device specific builds in the link you provided. Since my device isn't listed, do I use a generic build? Please link me specifically to the correct nokaid and mini builds, so I can be sure, and not mess up.

phuzi0n wrote:
buddee wrote:
Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300.

It's easy to screw up though and I wouldn't recommend trying k2.6 on this model unless you have a serial cable ready to recover it.


Since 2 Gurus are contradicting on this matter, and since I don't have a serial cable, I will stick with the 2.4 builds :)

Also, I have a question:

I wanted to get my builds from here
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14583/

But buddee suggested Brainslayer
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/

Is my link the wrong place to look for builds, for my router?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would probably do best to read the announcements at the top of the forum.

I linked the latest build for your router, and as i said you can use nokaid, mini those work best, you can also use the vpn build as well, and you do not have to find one with the unit name in it, since you already have dd-wrt on there, you can simply use the .bin files to upgrade.

Also with what phuzi0n said and i said its contradicting yes, but read it carefully what i posted, i said "Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300." I did not say everyone uses or even you have to be one of them, thus i added that "I use newd on my 3300's, seems to work fine" Mainly phuzi0n was simply stating that k26 newd-2 is not as safe (IE could risk brick) as would be the newd build :)

If you want to get it from the link you posted, is fine. That Eko build worked great on all 5 of my 3300's

Edit: this is the link for info on K2.6
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74290&sid=9b043ba0dfcc783bc8eec2dbf7833a95

And no, not encouragement, just informative, i still advise using Newd builds on that unit.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Would probably do best to read the announcements at the top of the forum.

I linked the latest build for your router, and as i said you can use nokaid, mini those work best, you can also use the vpn build as well, and you do not have to find one with the unit name in it, since you already have dd-wrt on there, you can simply use the .bin files to upgrade.

Also with what phuzi0n said and i said its contradicting yes, but read it carefully what i posted, i said "Many people are using k2.6 newd-2 with no problems on the 3300." I did not say everyone uses or even you have to be one of them, thus i added that "I use newd on my 3300's, seems to work fine" Mainly phuzi0n was simply stating that k26 newd-2 is not as safe (IE could risk brick) as would be the newd build :)

If you want to get it from the link you posted, is fine. That Eko build worked great on all 5 of my 3300's

Edit: this is the link for info on K2.6
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74290&sid=9b043ba0dfcc783bc8eec2dbf7833a95

And no, not encouragement, just informative, i still advise using Newd builds on that unit.


Wow that K2.6 article is complicated. Not gonna try that till it's easier to flash on.

And almost all those files in the link you provided are .bin files, even the ones with device names.

It seems these 3 are the only builds I can use since their file-size is under 3735552 bytes
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/06-12-10-r14594/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_usb_generic.bin

Also, if I use builds from
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14583/
I can use either NEWD or NEWD-2 builds, right? no 2.6-like bricking issues with those, am I right?

EDIT: Maybe it isn't apparent, but what I'm asking right now is - when you say NEWD, do you mean both 2.4 NEWD and 2.4 NEWD-2, or do you only mean 2.4 NEWD? and are the 2.4 NEWD-2 builds as unstable as the 2.6 NEWD-2 builds?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
txtsd wrote:

And almost all those files in the link you provided are .bin files, even the ones with device names.


I said this in reference to your earlier post. Yes just use the generic bin's

txtsd wrote:

There are device specific builds in the link you provided. Since my device isn't listed, do I use a generic build? Please link me specifically to the correct nokaid and mini builds, so I can be sure, and not mess up.


Also with this....

txtsd wrote:

Also, if I use builds from
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14583/
I can use either NEWD or NEWD-2 builds, right? no 2.6-like bricking issues with those, am I right?

EDIT: Maybe it isn't apparent, but what I'm asking right now is - when you say NEWD, do you mean both 2.4 NEWD and 2.4 NEWD-2, or do you only mean 2.4 NEWD? and are the 2.4 NEWD-2 builds as unstable as the 2.6 NEWD-2 builds?


Stick with 2.4 NEWD. Not 2.4 Newd-2, it proves most stable for the wndr3300

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Stick with 2.4 NEWD. Not 2.4 Newd-2, it proves most stable for the wndr3300

This is what I needed.

Thanks :D

Will update after flashing now Smile
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 10143

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
clarification + warning != contradiction

It's true that many people are running recent k2.6 builds but it's also true that it's still easy to screw it up and brick your router.

_________________
Read the forum announcements thoroughly! Be cautious if you're inexperienced.
Available for paid consulting. (Don't PM about complicated setups otherwise)
Looking for bricks and spare routers to expand my collection. (not interested in G spec models)
txtsd
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
clarification + warning != contradiction

It's true that many people are running recent k2.6 builds but it's also true that it's still easy to screw it up and brick your router.


Well my bad lol. I'm a very pessimistic person, keeps me safe :)

Either way, I flashed this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn14583/dd-wrt.v24-14583_NEWD_std-nokaid.bin

onto my router, and it works perfect as of now. It's been running for just above an hour :D

Thanks for the help guys!
socal87
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 943
Location: Here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
clarification + warning != contradiction

It's true that many people are running recent k2.6 builds but it's also true that it's still easy to screw it up and brick your router.


And before you think you're talking to two experts simply because their profile says "guru"...consider the number of posts they have. Phuzi0n has been around for a long ass time, and he definitely knows his shit. I have been around since long before buddee ever showed up, though I admit I'm not that great with the nitty gritty of linux and such. Keep in consideration that this is indeed a forum, and there's going to be those people that spend a lot more time here than some of those who have been around longer but simply don't spend as much time trolling...

EDIT: So, you'd be better off considering the join date of the member in question. Chances are, if they've been around for nearly 4 years, they probably know what they're doing. I have nothing against the young and ambitious, but given that it's my investments in hardware at stake here, I'll trust the advice of the veterans...

_________________
Click here for Eko beta
Click here for Brainslayer beta

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

Personal assistance is available but only if you give me money. And beer. Lots and lots of beer.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 7386
Location: Little Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:
clarification + warning != contradiction

It's true that many people are running recent k2.6 builds but it's also true that it's still easy to screw it up and brick your router.


And before you think you're talking to two experts simply because their profile says "guru"...consider the number of posts they have. Phuzi0n has been around for a long ass time, and he definitely knows his shit. I have been around since long before buddee ever showed up, though I admit I'm not that great with the nitty gritty of linux and such. Keep in consideration that this is indeed a forum, and there's going to be those people that spend a lot more time here than some of those who have been around longer but simply don't spend as much time trolling...

EDIT: So, you'd be better off considering the join date of the member in question. Chances are, if they've been around for nearly 4 years, they probably know what they're doing. I have nothing against the young and ambitious, but given that it's my investments in hardware at stake here, I'll trust the advice of the veterans...


Hrm considering i been around since July 1974, i think i been around way longer than you. in terms of being on the dd-wrt forum, only this year, i have however used dd-wrt since 2007.

But yea phuzi0n knows his shit, that i am not gonna argue :)

Edit: if you only look to when a person joined and how many posts they have, and not the info within, you have limited yourself entirely. not very wise.

_________________
Wireless N Config | Linking Routers | DD-WRT Wiki | DD-WRT Builds | Peacock - Broadcom FAQ

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum