using bridge mode in a public wifi

Goto page 1, 2  Next
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:53    Post subject: using bridge mode in a public wifi Reply with quote
Hi All,

does the dd-wrt firmware have an option to do bridge mode from a public access point?

here is my scenario:

I own a small business, I have a credit card machine that uses internet (Ethernet 10MB port) I have signed up to have a booth at a industry show where I hope to sell alot of my products.
The show only offers wireless internet access. I want to use a WHR-HP-G54, load dd-wrt, connect this to their wireless network then connect my credit card machine to one of the lan ports on the WHR-HP-G54. My credit card machine can do either static ip or can pickup a dhcp address.

Please advise!

Thanks
Sponsor
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
My best guess is you want "client mode" on your router. It treats the show's internet-connected "host router" as a wireless ISP and creates a private wired LAN you can plug into. It has a good chance of working and a good chance of protecting your credit card machine from others on the wireless side of the network.

Check out this stuff.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Unfortunately, there's a lot of "blah blah" and possibly outdated info in some places of those pages. Use a recent (version 12548 or greater) build of DD-WRT, and client mode does exactly what I say it does. "Client bridge" will also get you connected, but it puts your credit card machine on the same network as every other machine on the wireless network, and do you trust everybody at the trade show, including people off the street who come in with with their laptops?

Read through all steps of any wiki instructions before you attempt them, as many begin with the steps of flashing the firmware itself, which is of course unnecessary if you already did that.

I have used client mode in situations similar to yours (I'm using it now). I started with the router completely reset to defaults, which should be the case after flashing the firmware anyway (30/30/30 reset, right?). Setup is very similar to configuring the ever-popular "internet sharing gateway" for a home office connected to cable or DSL modem, except with the radio taking the place of the WAN wire. The WAN type is typically DHCP in this case. Then after this first setup, if I go to a different venue, I only have to change the wireless SSID and/or wireless security to match the new wireless network I'm connecting to.

Unlike the wiki instructions, I do NOT change anything on the "security" page, i.e. I keep the SPI firewall enabled, etc. because I want to keep the nasty people out. I also don't use any static DNS, as the host network typically handles that just fine. Port forwarding is not necessary for HTTP browser or passive FTP internet access; as far as I know, if your main office router didn't need it for your card machine, you likely won't need it on your client router when on the road.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep, modervador is right.

Client Mode work perfect on Wisp hotspot system with a good security level for your local network.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version of dd-wrt do I need, the mini version or standard or what?

Thanks for your help!
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Micro release is enough for the client modes services.

But pending of what you plan to do after, and if you can, generic is a good choice.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay, I have loaded the dd-wrt on and setup following the instructions but it won't route out side of the primary router's subnet.

For testing my primary subnet and wireless network is 192.168.4.x

My secondary with dd-wrt loaded is set to 192.168.50.x

The secondary will connect to the primary and I can ping anything on the 192.168.4.x subnet but I cannot ping anything out side of that. (I can't goto Yahoo.com or whatever)

Any ideas?

I can post screenshots of my setup if needed.

Thanks for any help!
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more item to note, I have loaded build 13064.

What version are you using that is working? Should I downgrade to 12533?

Thanks
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
For testing my primary subnet and wireless network is 192.168.4.x

My secondary with dd-wrt loaded is set to 192.168.50.x

The secondary will connect to the primary and I can ping anything on the 192.168.4.x subnet but I cannot ping anything out side of that. (I can't goto Yahoo.com or whatever)

I think "the instructions" on page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode are not complete. I never used them myself, so without very careful reading, I can't say what all they're missing or what all they include that's not necessary.

Assuming your client router LAN IP is 192.168.50.1, then try setting its gateway and Local DNS to 192.168.50.1 as well. When it connects to the primary router, the client WAN status page should show a WAN IP of 192.168.4.x with DNS and gateway of 192.168.4.1, assuming your primary router LAN IP is 192.168.4.1.

After you get the client router configured, you need to reset your PC lan interface to DHCP so that it pulls its DNS and gateway info from the client router, which it needs to get on the 'net.

Last edited by modervador on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:52; edited 4 times in total
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
bhoth wrote:
One more item to note, I have loaded build 13064.

What version are you using that is working? Should I downgrade to 12533?

I've most recently used client mode on 13575 and client-bridge on 13575 and 13577 with success. I've also used client-bridge on 13064 successfully, but never tried plain client with that build. But I doubt it's a build issue.
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
where can I get the build 13575 that you have tested on. Or what about dropping back to v23 sp2?

I really don't care about getting that last new feature or functionality. I just want client mode to work.

thanks
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
bhoth wrote:
where can I get the build 13575 that you have tested on. Or what about dropping back to v23 sp2?

I really don't care about getting that last new feature or functionality. I just want client mode to work.

*cough* milw0rm *cough*

I would not recommend you dial back to v23. Perhaps client mode is that last new feature or functionality you need to get.

I think it's time to view announcements at the Broadcom forum, beginning with the STOP! READ THIS FIRST. There you will find what you seek.

I still don't think your problem is the build. If you're willing to wait a few more hours, I'm going to be changing out one of my routers, after which I'll post the minimal steps it takes me to get client mode running.
bhoth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got this working. I ended up loading the mini version of 13064, then configured again, this time I got it to work. The wiki page is wrong when it says use the gateway of the primary router.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you have any trouble setting an ap + client, you could use this online tool:

http://yzy-oui-fi.com/home/yzy-dd-wrt-setting_beta/index.php?menu=apcl&lang=en

modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
bhoth wrote:
I got this working. I ended up loading the mini version of 13064, then configured again, this time I got it to work. The wiki page is wrong when it says use the gateway of the primary router.

Well done. Now I guess you know why I wrote:
Quote:
Assuming your client router LAN IP is 192.168.50.1, then try setting its gateway and Local DNS to 192.168.50.1 as well.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
bhoth wrote:

Will you please not that :

when Gateway field is mentionned on Client mode section of the Wiki, this the wan side Gateway.
Gateway and DNs field of the lan section should be set to 0.0.0.0

when Gateway field is mentionned on Client bridge mode section of the Wiki, this the lan side Gateway.
Wan side in this case is set to disable and do not appear anymore on the Gui of broadcom board

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: