Asus RT-N10

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
localhorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
RBZ wrote:
I'm sorry for talking about other custom firmware on DD-WRT forum, [...]

My first thought was that this was an inappropriate post, but after considering it, this could be very helpful. Also, the forum rules don't forbid linking to other projects/software as long as it pertains to the discussion at hand. So, no apology necessary for me, though I can't speak for everyone else. :)

I would much rather get DD-WRT working on my device, as it would appear to be more customizable than Tomato USB. However, if the device is indeed fully supported, and Tomato USB is released under the terms of the GPL, then perhaps the code would help the DD-WRT devs get it working.

My question to you, RBZ, is this: can you confirm that you've personally got it running with Tomato USB, and that none of the signal strength issues mentioned in this thread are present? Is 802.11n mode supported? Are there issues when changing the configuration?

I hope this isn't just a situation where the documentation claims the device is supported (like in the case of DD-WRT RT-N10 support) when in fact there are numerous issues that may render it unusable to some people. I hope it's not the case, but I tend to suspect that it it is... if the problem the DD-WRT devs are having has to do with Broadcom drivers/specs not being available, then frankly I don't see how the Tomato USB devs are privy to special information that the DD-WRT devs don't have. But I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance, RBZ. I'll continue to dig around in the Tomato USB documentation, and perhaps even try both firmwares and compare results when I have some time this weekend. If no one objects, I'll post back here with my results. If anyone else intends to try this as well, please get back to us when you've done so.

Let me reiterate: my intention is not to ultimately use Tomato USB, but perhaps this information can help us get DD-WRT working on the RT-N10.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said you were about to try build 54 next... according to the Tomato USB build types page, the RT-N10 is only supported on build 52 and earlier.

Last edited by localhorse on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:29; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
RBZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I confirm that everything works perfectly!

No signal loss, Wireless N working and no problems in configure the router. In fact, default configurations work perfectly.

I personally installed the firmware without any problem.

I tried like everyone else to make DD-WRT Firmware work on this router without any success and I hope that this will help DD-WRT creating a version that will work 100%.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I tried flashing TomatoUSB to fix the wireless issues. The only problem is I can't log in with admin/admin . What gives?
zme-ul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
try reseting your router to default settings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow that worked!

Wireless is much better, the speeds don't drop off and people can connect without having to reset the router too many times.
RBZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use TomatoUSB since 5 December and still haven't found any wireless/stability problems.

The Asus RT-N10 and some new Asus routers have a new processor, K26 and maybe DD-WRT doesn't work because of the processor driver.. The problem wasn't only the Wireless-N, the Firmware doesn't detect the Antenas, etc.
RBZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only rebooted the router 1 time and it was after installing it.

Daily, 4 Computers and 1 Android phone are connected via wireless to my router and everything is fine.
localhorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, RBZ. Unfortunately, after looking around a bit, it would seem that the Tomato firmware includes proprietary binary-only drivers from Broadcom. This is why the wireless is able to work flawlessly on Tomato USB. Unfortunately, I don't think that using these drivers is an option for the DD-WRT project.

So it would seem we are back to square one with DD-WRT on the Asus RT-N10.
localhorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
And as a warning to anyone else who might be considering Tomato USB on their RT-N10, it's not going to be a good permanent solution.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-287762/build-53-bricked-asus-rt-n10#post-936881

teddy b wrote:

Broadcom took out all the code for BCM5356 chipset from this version of SDK - like it doesn't exist. I've never seen this before - in all previous SDK updates Broadcom only added new chipsets, never removed any… Don't know why they did it.

Anyway, I tried to put all that code back in, but apparently it didn't work. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to pursue this further, or just drop the RT-N10 support as Broadcom did. If the binary part of the driver doesn't support BCM5356 anymore - we can't do anything.

This is unfortunately the problem when dealing with a company that doesn't provide open-source drivers. They can just yank this stuff out on a whim. It may also be a cautionary tale against using a distribution that relies on closed drivers.

If this is how Broadcom does things, then I guess we can either hope the DD-WRT devs keep up the good work they're doing on the RT-N10 support, or simply purchase already supported hardware.
xeren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
couldn't we just use build 52 then, if it's stable?

i might give this a try

are you guys using tomato-K26USB-1.28.9052MIPSR2-b….rar ?
localhorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
xeren wrote:
couldn't we just use build 52 then, if it's stable?

You could try, but it would probably be best if you went to the Tomato USB forums to discuss getting it working. This thread may not be an appropriate place to do so.
crazybusy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 15:37    Post subject: I bricked my Asus RT - N10! Can't Connect To Internet Reply with quote
OK, I thought it was easy.

I followed this: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2436788

It basically said. First, Download the Asus Firmware Restore, or when you buy the router it comes with a CD.

2nd, download Tomato Firmware, also stated in that website.

Note: I have the Broadcom version, not the RaLink, because you can't Tomato flash the RaLink.

3. Setup a Static on your PC. Turn off firewall and antivirus that may interfere.

Address: 192.168.1.7
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

4. Plug the router in and connect the router to the PC using any LAN port on the router, but don't to the WAN port.

5. Open Firefox or IE, type 192.168.1.1

The router will try to put you through a wizard, but ignore it and hit the back to main screen button.

6. Goto the adminstration page/menu and firmware upgrade.

Browse to the location where you stored the DD-WRT .trx file and do the flash.

You will get a completed screen.

7. you should be able to access DD-WRT by typing 192.168.1.1. Change the username and password when prompted.

Give it a few minutes and then flash the Tomato file into the router using the Administration menu of the DD-WRT.

Make sure to unzip the file tomato-K26-1.28.9052MIPSR2-beta23-Std.rar (as it is a RAR) and change the extension from the zipped file of Tomato from .trx to .bin

Let it complete.

8. Type in 192.168.1.1 to access tomato.

After Tomato is flashed, you set your adapter back to obtain IP address automatically.

Hook everything up as you will normally use it.

You may need to kill the power to your router and modem, give it a couple of minutes, and restart to get an IP address assignment.

Now, I followed exactly all those steps and I BRICKED the ROUTER!

What the Hell is wrong?

Router can't Get WAN IP.

Yes, router can't get Auto DHCP, WAN IP, Gateway and DNS from my ISP.

Again, I Bricked my router using this method.

I tried reverting back by following this:http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Asus_RT-N10

Yes, I'm successful reverting and I can see original Asus firmware, but it STILL WON'T Connect to Internet Anymore!

What happened? Help, I bricked the router!
zme-ul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you are able to access your original asus fw but can't connect to internet, you just have to reset the default settings on the router with the reset button from it's back
crazybusy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it didn't BRICK my router. I'm just stupid enough NOT to wait PATIENTLY because the Router is Still getting IP from the ISP, via auto DHCP.

Thanks. Tomato works fine on this router, but Internet connection still drops from time to time.

Sorry for the confusion.
crazybusy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using this router for at least a MONTH now. I'm using the Tomato firmware.

Tomato Firmware v1.28.9052 MIPSR2-beta23 K26 Std

I can say the Wifi also has problems. Wifi drops also, and you can't detect it even if you put in a bigger antenna and practically stand next to it with your laptop or mobile phone.

I don't know if my wifi devices have the problem, but it seems the router is, because it's INCONSISTENT.

Sometimes wifi is 50% sometimes 100%, and so on...

But Internet on wired connections don't drop so often I experience.

Do you have the same findings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: