DD-WRT Linksys WRT54G v5 Repeater Setup Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Gootz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00    Post subject: DD-WRT Linksys WRT54G v5 Repeater Setup Issue Reply with quote
This is my first router I've attempted to setup, so please take it easy on me. I successfully installed DD-WRT and was well on my way through the setup process to making the router a repeater to help boost the signal throughout my house. Long story short I was having issues getting my "normal" router and my DD-WRT'd router to communicate.

Per the wiki (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) it states that "The first thing to do when running into problems is to remove all encryption and see if the routers can connect." So I went ahead and did that, removed all security encryption, and now I can't seem to reach the DD-repeater anymore. I'm using the same IP I was using for it before (yes, a different IP than the router) and have tried a WAN, straight wireless and even toggled on and off the wifi on my computer to see if that might help. Nothing seems to work and I don't understand what possibly could have happened to nix the connection.

Has anyone ever run into this before? Any ideas on how to fix my issue?

TIA!
Sponsor
Gootz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought of some details that might be helpful to add here. I know it isn't bricked because it shows up in my "available wifi networks". However, the odd thing is I chanced the SSID to a new name which had been showing up prior to the security changes, but now it has reverted back to the dd-wrt SSID.

I'm so confused and frustrated after spending so much time researching and getting a handle on what to do before I even started working on it. To get this far only to hit this road block makes me want to tear out what little hair I have left. Sad
Gootz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just spent the last 2+ hours trying everything. Figured out that the dd-wrt repeater had reverted back to 192.168.1.1 and went back to the drawing board. I turned off my primary router and followed these instructions to a T: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

The good news is I was able to start communicating with the repeater. The bad news is the repeater still will not connect to the primary.

I am not willing to turn back the security encryption back off because I don't want to deal with the fiasco that got me into this thread in the first place.

Could it be that my primary router just isn't compatible for some reason with this repeater? I can't think of any other rational reason for it not working.

I could really use some thoughts here if anyone has any ideas or angles I'm not seeing.

TIA!
Nickster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the MAC address of the "secondary" router in the WDS list of the primary? and have you set the encryption to WPA (AES)?
Gootz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for chiming in. I was able to successfully configure the setup after many trial and error attempts. Some of the steps were out of order or needed slight tweaking as opposed to what several of the "walk throughs" suggested. In the end, I got it working and it seems that all is well that ends well. The throughput isn't great, so I'm going to see if there are any adjustments I can make to the location of the repeater as well as the actual power output (kW #), but overall it is doing exactly what I was hoping...extending the signal to the entire house and providing a moderate speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: