[Split] Is updating necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
2disbetter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Well, you can follow my guide to do it all on the dd-wrt. If you want the other device handling DHCP/DNS then you need to split one of the LAN ports to a new vlan and add the new vlan to the br1 bridge and then connect that port to the other device as well. If you want a single Ethernet cable with VLAN trunking then the other device must support it and you'll have to figure out how to make the trunk work on your own.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

Not to thread hijack, but...

I've been reading multiple threads that say to stop using old firmware. When I go to the announcement the main thing that is being said is the there are issues with the DHCP server and lease assignment. If you don't use the DHCP function, and everyone on that router has a static IP (to include any wireless clients), is the suggestion to STILL update?

2d
Sponsor
brianroy86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would be very careful about what you update. I have bricked a Belkin updating before, and yesterday my buddy half-bricked his router trying to update it.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well for one there is a nasty vulnerability prior to 12533 but it can be blocked with an iptables rule.

If you are not experiencing any problems then you have no reason to change anything. However, if you have the slightest bit of a problem, the first thing to do is to get a recent build and find out of it's already been fixed. And of course, it's important to follow the upgrade instructions so that you don't cause more trouble for yourself.

2disbetter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I wanted the https protocol for remote management, so I went ahead and updated. No problems. I would like to further point out that if you follow the instruction on updating, things go the way they are supposed too. Took me a grand total of 15 minutes to update and get everything back to the way it was.

2d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: