WRT600N in continuous reboot ($20 paypal reward)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
davidstoll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:15    Post subject: WRT600N in continuous reboot ($20 paypal reward) Reply with quote
I have tried everything here...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot

Any further suggestions?

I can't log into the thing. Even if I set a static IP, I don't have it long enought to even make an attempt at loggin into the web interface.

I have all the settings backed up (with the dd-wrt firmware that was loaded), so if I can get control of this thing I can put all the settings back.

I would appreciate any help you can give. I'll reward anyone $20 via paypal if they give me the tip that will fix this thing.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Blazian
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I understand that you read the Resetting and Rebooting in the Wiki. I have one suggestion. Check your Reset button and make sure you can actually press it in and when you unpress it. Make sure it actually pops back up. The reset button tends to get stuck on this model if your not careful.
WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the peacock announcement for more recovery instructions. You need to set a static IP on your PC and then do a continuous ping to the router and reboot the router to see if and how it responds.
davidstoll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did notice it gets stuck sometimes. Every once in a while I just do quick clicks to get the popping. I have my wife doing the hard reset (3) from that page because it says you have to do it 20-30 times or more...which I have done, but I guess it can't make things worse. I did not mention this, so I will let her know. Thank you.

Blazian wrote:
Ok I understand that you read the Resetting and Rebooting in the Wiki. I have one suggestion. Check your Reset button and make sure you can actually press it in and when you unpress it. Make sure it actually pops back up. The reset button tends to get stuck on this model if your not careful.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
davidstoll wrote:
I can't log into the thing. Even if I set a static IP, I don't have it long enought to even make an attempt at loggin into the web interface.

You probably cannot log in because the flash somehow went bad. The web gui is not going to "stay up" long enough for you to fix it.
davidstoll wrote:
I have all the settings backed up (with the dd-wrt firmware that was loaded), so if I can get control of this thing I can put all the settings back.

This is probably going to be a bad idea. Although it is a pain to do, if you get it out of its "reboot" state, then you need to start from scratch. Typically reloading the nvrambak.bin file *can* cause problems if there was corruption in nvram *before* you backed up the file.

davidstoll wrote:
I would appreciate any help you can give. I'll reward anyone $20 via paypal if they give me the tip that will fix this thing.

Thanks!

Your best bet right now is to determine what state your router is in. If it is caused by the reset button being semi-permanently depressed, well ... that will have to be fixed. If is caused by a bad flash, you will have to follow the instructions in the "Peacock" thread to determine if that is so.

Partial Summary of instructions:
1. Set your computer to static IP in your router's range (e.g. 192.168.1.10)
2. Set up a continuous ping to your router (e.g. "ping -t 192.168.1.1")
3. Determine if occasional ping response is waiting for firmware (should be a TTL=100)
4. If TTL=100 once every 10 to 15 seconds, prepare your tftp program to send the new *appropriate* flash
5. Send the flash when you get a ping response. (This takes timing and possibly more than one retry.)
6. Wait at least 5 minutes for router to finish its stuff

After that, your router should be good to go and ready to set up from scratch. Be sure to check the "Peacock" thread for full details, as I only outlined the general process.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
davidstoll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It definately responds (most of the time). So, "there is hope".

p.s. save coco!

davidstoll wrote:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did notice it gets stuck sometimes. Every once in a while I just do quick clicks to get the popping. I have my wife doing the hard reset (3) from that page because it says you have to do it 20-30 times or more...which I have done, but I guess it can't make things worse. I did not mention this, so I will let her know. Thank you.

Blazian wrote:
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
use the stock linksys firmware for your recovery flash..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttl=64 WOOOOHOOOO! I've never been so happy to see Linksys firmware on one of my routers.

Very basicly...
1) use tftp
2) use stock firmware with tftp

$10 = tftp (crashfly)
$10 = stock firmware (barryware)
$10 = dd-wrt community donation

Everybody happy? I know I am!

Unless there are any objections, crashfly and barryware can pm me their paypal e-mail.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
davidstoll wrote:
ttl=64 WOOOOHOOOO! I've never been so happy to see Linksys firmware on one of my routers.

Very basicly...
1) use tftp
2) use stock firmware with tftp

$10 = tftp (crashfly)
$10 = stock firmware (barryware)
$10 = dd-wrt community donation

Everybody happy? I know I am!

Unless there are any objections, crashfly and barryware can pm me their paypal e-mail.

I don't need your money.. Keep it or donate to the project. I am always happy to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use the newd firmware because it doesn't flash correctly on this router. I spent 4 hours last night trying to flash various versions of newd before I tried newd2 which worked the very first time. I had no problem flashing wrt600n specific images found in the router database, but could not get anything more recent to flash correctly by TFTP or web gui. The symptoms were as you describe - constant router reboots.

Rob
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rob_G wrote:
Don't use the newd firmware because it doesn't flash correctly on this router. I spent 4 hours last night trying to flash various versions of newd before I tried newd2 which worked the very first time. I had no problem flashing wrt600n specific images found in the router database, but could not get anything more recent to flash correctly by TFTP or web gui. The symptoms were as you describe - constant router reboots.

Rob

Rob.. That is bull$hit.. The 600 runs well on newd. It will also run newd-2 but there is no official support for newd-2 on the 600. At your own risk sort of speaking.

My 600 has over 90 days of uptime running 12874 which is a newd build, not a newd-2 build.

Just for fun..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Rob_G wrote:

Rob

Rob.. That is bull$hit.. The 600 runs well on newd. It will also run newd-2 but there is no official support for newd-2 on the 600. At your own risk sort of speaking.

My 600 has over 90 days of uptime running 12874 which is a newd build, not a newd-2 build.

Just for fun..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Barryware is very correct on this matter. I would say NEWD is alot easier to get working on the 600N compared to NEWD2 any day. You have to power cycle usually an untold amount of time to get the radio working correctly with NEWD2 builds. I very experienced in flashing my 600N v1.1

WRT54G v5 BS micro 14684(RB)
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WRT600n *does* work with both NEWD *and* NEWD2. Although I currently use NEWD2, I was originally using the original NEWD on this router.

@barryware - You may be referring to the K26 builds. *Those* do not work with the WRT600n where as NEWD2 on the K24 builds can.

@davidstoll - While I would appreciate the money, I also do not require you to send me any. If any, give the it all to DD-WRT as a donation. barryware like myself are supporting this project by helping out on the forum where we can. If you can support DD-WRT by donations, this community will be better for it.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Rob_G
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Rob_G wrote:

Rob

Just for fun..

Like I said, I spent 4 hours last night trying to flash newd with ZERO success. Yes I did the 30-30-30 many, many times. I flashed by TFTP and web gui about 20 times at least. I flashed mini, std and mega builds and none worked. When I flashed the image from the router DB, that worked every time when I had to recover by tftp. It isn't BS when I tell you the newd does not flash properly on (my) 600n. Maybe there's a hardware variation, but the symptoms the original poster described are what I had too.

I had been running v24 sp1 for over a year already, but needed to upgrade to fix a dhcp issue with spi

Rob
davidstoll
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donation made. Thanks again guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: