How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 92, 93, 94  Next
samcraig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok lets try this again. I am using windows 7 laptop. For the last few months I was using autoap via the Dynamic Download command prompt. It worked great for a little over a month. 2 weeks ago it just stopped. when I go to the link to check http://routerip/user/autoap.htm It shows absolutely nothing. Just a plain white page. after countless 303030 resets and configures it still showed the same blank page. so I decided to download a built in version dd-wrt.V24_AAP-0130-wrt54g.bin. It shows the same blank page. Finally I thought it may be just a bad router so I bought a brand new wrt54gs and installed the latest ddwrt and did the dynamic download setup of autoap... Still just a blank page.
Now Ive gotten into the router via telnet but I have no idea how to check if autoap is there or not. As Im typing this I am trying to figure out openssh so I can try to put the script in myself.
I hope this answers all your questions and I am lost at this point trying to figure it all out. thank you btw for your help thus far
Sponsor
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well ... ill start with I know off of the top ....

Autoap dosent work with the latest wrt54g builds ... you need to use older version....

I thought that the dynamic Dl version and the prebuilt used different gui page .... might be wrong, its been long time since I used it ....

I usually use an old build ... enable jffs and use VI to place the autoap script there ....
Id sujest to use the prebuilt version for easiest use

Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get it working?
tinka940
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have got it working on a TP-Link WDR3600.

It scans, it connects to an open ap. There is however (at least) one thing not working. If i connect to an open ap where the ping fails the script doesn't notice this correctly. It keeps connected instead if going to the next open ap.

The problem is located in

ap_good="$(ping -c5 "$x" | grep [/,] | sed 'N;s/.*,//; s/\n/. Ping /')"

where ap_good should be "" if the ping did not succeed otherwise the stats should show acoording to the comments

What i get is (ok case)

# ping -c5 8.8.8.8 | grep [/,] | sed 'N;s/.*,//; s/\n/. Ping /'

results in

# 0% packet loss. Ping round-trip min/avg/max = 9.724/10.842/11.795 ms

sofar so good but (fail case)

# ping -c5 1.1.1.1 | grep [/,] | sed 'N;s/.*,//; s/\n/. Ping /'

results in

# 5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

which should be "".

Originally it should work (i assume) so what is different compared to working versions ?
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
tinka940 wrote:

It scans, it connects to an open ap. There is however (at least) one thing not working. If i connect to an open ap where the ping fails the script doesn't notice this correctly. It keeps connected instead if going to the next open ap.

where ap_good should be "" if the ping did not succeed otherwise the stats should show acoording to the comments

What i get is (ok case)

results in

results in

which should be "".

Originally it should work (i assume) so what is different compared to working versions ?

Glad you it worked on your atheros based wdr3600.

I have a atheros tplink too, and broadcom based linksys, while
I can set the aap_prefssid for 3 different rougers:

SSID MAC Enycription Length Key IP addr
PT-LINK_111111 00:00:00:11:11:11 wep 64 1234567890 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.1
PT-LINK_222222 00:00:00:22:22:22 wpa tkip 12345678 dhcp
PT-LINK_333333 00:00:00:33:33:33 open 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.1

It can connect as I prefer in all the situations for the broadcom based linksys.

But for atheros,it sure doen't work.Search all the digital globe, no good scripts for that.Hope some one good at scripts can update the atheros one, because wireles signal is better than broadcom in DD-wrt.
PumpkinEater
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,
I have setup the AutoAP script, and it seems to work on really open hotspots so far. Problem is to repeat those public hotspots which are wifi-open but protected by a login page. In this case the script scans again and again. I guess the reason is:

- In function "aap_checkjoin()" the 'while' loop waits until ip address and gateway is assigned, but after that there is no routing to the internet yet because I didn't had a chance to login on the login page. Therefore the following call to "ap_good=$(aap_ping)" still fails, leading to a rescan.

My idea is to add another 'while' loop which waits for a successful ping instead. While waiting I could enter the username/password on the login page.

Am I right with these assumptions? Is it in general possible to repeat such a public hotspot? Is there any other version of the script available which covers this issue?

Thank you very much.
BR
Peter
DougVL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
samcraig wrote:
ok lets try this again. I am using windows 7 laptop. For the last few months I was using autoap via the Dynamic Download command prompt. It worked great for a little over a month. 2 weeks ago it just stopped. when I go to the link to check http://routerip/user/autoap.htm It shows absolutely nothing. Just a plain white page. after countless 303030 resets and configures it still showed the same blank page. so I decided to download a built in version dd-wrt.V24_AAP-0130-wrt54g.bin. It shows the same blank page. Finally I thought it may be just a bad router so I bought a brand new wrt54gs and installed the latest ddwrt and did the dynamic download setup of autoap... Still just a blank page.
Now Ive gotten into the router via telnet but I have no idea how to check if autoap is there or not. As Im typing this I am trying to figure out openssh so I can try to put the script in myself.
I hope this answers all your questions and I am lost at this point trying to figure it all out. thank you btw for your help thus far

A likely reason for a working Universal Repeater using the download version of AutoAP to just stop working is that the open access point is no longer available, so the script doesn't get downloaded.

I've set up, or at least tried, autoAP on 6 or 7 assorted WRT54G's of varying versions, from 1.1 to 8.2. There's often troubles like this. The most common reason for the downloading the script version to fail is that it doesn't get downloaded. If the router can't get internet access through an open repeater to start with, it can't download the script. So obviously then it can't run the script. But somehow there's already a sort of 'template' web page in the router. I have no idea how it gets there, or if it's somehow already in the firmware, but I had the same result MANY times - just a blank page. Over and over.

The real key, though, is that there are multiple versions of AutoAP, and there are multiple versions of DD-WRT. There are compatibility troubles between the AutoAP's and firmwares, especially in the use of a couple of commands, like "wl" and "wlget". The "wl" doesn't exist in some firmwares, so the AutoAP that uses it can't work. Some versions of the script use the "Site Survey" function instead of wl for better compatibility.

There are at least two versions of downloadable AutoAP script at SourceForge, plus a couple at other places. One method I tried when looking for a downloadable at boot script that would work with my router was to put a copy of the script on my own web site and change it until it did work, and then download it from there when needed.

Sometimes though that's not good enough, because the trouble is in the firmware not having a command or function that the script needs. This happens between older and newer versions of firmware, and also with different size variations (micro, mini, full, mega) of the same release. To make a micro version, for example, some functions and features get left out.

There are also versions of AutoAP at code.google.com, by someone in Japan I think, but apparently I didn't save anything to identify one specifically. It contains "#### autoap.sh modification by Xia Zuoling, 2009-5-27 0:08:35", and near the top of the comments also says "zerox: 2009-6-29".

I found a version of the script with this comment at the top:
##
## This script is inspired by the autoap script that stoped working after the command ##
## set of the "wl" was reduced in the DD-WRT V2.4 Beta firmware on the 18th of June 2007 ##
##
This version is labeled version="2007-08-26 in the comments at the top, and it also says "AutoAP Next Gen by kuthulu/Iron, supported by wo-fo, infusion, drats, cid12, mathilda" in case that helps anyone else find it. Also in the comments at the top is
#"Completely rewritten
# 2007-07-18 (kuthulu/Iron)
# - modified to use site_survey in stead of wl"
but I didn't keep a URL for where I found it.

There's also a problem with one of the script parsing commands like SED or AWK or GREP. I don't remember which actual one, and it's been a couple of years so memory's not accurate, but I've pored over the AutoAP scripts many, many times trying to figure out how they work and what could cause troubles. And I've spent a lot of time reading BASH script command documentation, as well as the DD-WRT docs covering some of the commands like wl. It's far from easy for a non-linux/unix user!

One of the old builds with the AutoAP script built in should work on most routers, it would seem, because the firmware would be sure to provide the functions the script needs. As I recall, though, the location or URL of the AutoAP report page is not the same when using the built-in script as it is with the downloaded script.

I've also seen a version of the script that can be loaded into the "Startup Script" command storage area that DD-WRT runs when it starts. That one, if I recall correctly, leaves out all the comments in the script in order to save memory space. It was "Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:13 am Post subject: AutoAP for micro build" posted by kthulu.

To summarize, it took a LOT of experimenting with different versions of firmware AND different AutoAP scripts to get some of my repeaters to work.

I'm sorry that this posting might not be much help to samcraig, but I did want to contribute what I could for any users that might need some encouragement. And I hope this posting useful, but I did a lot of copying and pasting to get parts in, and the window to work in is pretty small. I might not have gotten everything inserted in the proper order. Please use it for what you can get out of it anyway.

DougVL
duxbox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the following script on Motorola WR850GV2 and DD-WRT and I am not able to connect to any of my prefered APs.

Code:
nvram set autoap_logger="html"
nvram set autoap_logsize="1000"
nvram set wl_ssid=""
nvram set autoap_findopen="1"
nvram set autoap_aplimit="10"
nvram set autoap_dhcpw="15"
nvram set autoap_scanfreq="60"
nvram set autoap_inet="1"
nvram set autoap_ineturl="www.google.com"
nvram set nvram set autoap_prefssid="Network1*key*2404536318
Network2*key*6C67A54C66 Network3*key*45678EF7B80738AA80F38D4D1 Network4*key*1234567890"
nvram set autoap_rescandelay="120"
nvram commit
`cd /tmp; until [ 2 = 1 ];do /bin/sleep 30;
/usr/bin/wget -Oautoap.sh http://downloads.sourceforge.net/autoap/autoap_090711.sh;
chmod 777 ./autoap.sh;./autoap.sh;done` &

Any suggestions?
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
holy moly! 442,399 Downloads (This Week) for autoap @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/autoap/?source=directory

I guess there are quite a few routers out there running the download script version of autoap LOL!

this is still the coolest firmware mod Ive done to anything by far. I prefer the older version with the web interface (self contained) on my WRT54G though but I have to also say that I rarely actually use it. only used when on road trips in the RV but it performs wonderfully in this scenario.
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone still keeping up with this thread?

I am still playing around with AAP on WRT54Gs, just finished setting up 12476mega on a WRT54G-TM w/SDcard & heatsink mods overclocked to 225mhz and so far its the best AAP set up Ive done.

I have AAP working in later builds but can not get autoap.cgi page to show up, its always blank in any build later than 12476 that I try.

I have read this thread too many times now and I still can not determine if anyone has autoap.cgi page working in later builds. I have the autoap.htm (logging page) showing up fine, just not the cgi page for settings GUI.

there has been a mention that someone got the cgi page working within MyPage on a later build but it is not 100% functional. I am trying to figure out how to do that now but only have a mention to go by so if anyone reading knows anything about it then please chime in.

thanks

-WRT54GS V3 w/64MB RAM & SDCard Mods v24-sp2 Build:15962 + OTRW2
gepetto565
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had good success using v24 with Autoap on my WRT54GS and recently installed it on my new TP-Link WDR3600 which is Atheros ath9k based.

I am interested in putting Autoap on it and know about the issues concerning it being Broadcom vs. Atheros.

My thoughts...
I am going to look at kuthulu's iwScanner for Linux, but wonder if it is going to give me the scan of open AND WPA2 AES access points.

I want to take my WDR3600 on the road, and still use it on my WPA at home without configuring too much.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Linksys WRT54GS v2.0 v24 13064 mega with Autoap
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.5 03-13-2014 23720 (installed 04-13-2014)
Netgear WNDR4500 v2 KongAC build 25051M-SP1
gepetto565
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:10    Post subject: Did you ever get anywhere with your WDR3600? Reply with quote
eeff11 wrote:
tinka940 wrote:

What i get is (ok case)

results in

results in

which should be "".

Glad you it worked on your atheros based wdr3600.

I have a atheros tplink too, and broadcom based linksys, while
I can set the aap_prefssid for 3 different rougers:

SSID MAC Enycription Length Key IP addr
PT-LINK_111111 00:00:00:11:11:11 wep 64 1234567890 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.1
PT-LINK_222222 00:00:00:22:22:22 wpa tkip 12345678 dhcp
PT-LINK_333333 00:00:00:33:33:33 open 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.1

It can connect as I prefer in all the situations for the broadcom based linksys.

But for atheros,it sure doen't work.Search all the digital globe, no good scripts for that.Hope some one good at scripts can update the atheros one, because wireles signal is better than broadcom in DD-wrt.

I've been reading alot, and still wondering if I can connect to WPA AES access points when at home and also scan for open access points while on the road without having to configure settings again.

Linksys WRT54GS v2.0 v24 13064 mega with Autoap
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.5 03-13-2014 23720 (installed 04-13-2014)
Netgear WNDR4500 v2 KongAC build 25051M-SP1
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been a minute since I've been in this thread, but IIRC there used to be a few variables that would store known keys (i think specific to wep at the time) which would automatically be applied to any wep networks found in the scan.

doing something similar for WPA would not be exceedingly difficult, but I think you'd want to limit trying to negotiate a WPA connection to known SSIDs so you aren't wasting a ton of cycles trying in vain to crack a bunch of networks that aren't yours.

again, it's been a second so I have no idea if that feature was eliminated by other devs. i did find the source used to create the old binaries the other day, and will be happy to make that available if anyone wants it.
sprokkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
it would be nice to have a list with wpa encrypted accespoints in the router.

Sometimes i am at a location where wpa encryption is used, i want to use the open ap script for automatic conecting to that network and repeat it to my mobile devices.

alse when there is a free wifi you need a password.
that password is given for free, but now i cannot connect.
m79b01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would also be very interested to see this working with wpa. I can help with some testing if someone is willing to work on it. Just started this thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263074 because I haven't seen much activiy on this one lately. It seems like there is plenty of interest. I think it would be worth while.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 93 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: