How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? SOLVED!!! - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turning off the ping with nvram set autoap_watchinet=0 will let it connect to a weak signal, just as you say, but it will always connect to the one with the best SNR, anyway. By setting rescandelay, you can set how often it drops everything and looks for a new signal, so it won't go all day repeating noise the way you said it did. Disadvantage: when rescandelay expires it does indeed drop everything, and you'll be offline for several tens of seconds even if it reconnects to the same strong AP it was on before.

I don't know of a way to make it log on to anything, but you could set your AP to some strange out-of-the-way IP, say 10.20.30.40, and tell it to ping that instead of Google. Then it would log onto your AP and nothing else.

Netgear WNR834Bv2 DD-WRT build 14896 mini with AutoAP -- also cool.
Linksys WTR54GSv1 DD-WRT build 14311 std (Client bridge for Ooma voip phone)
Linksys WAP54Gv2 DD-WRT build 14896 micro -- haven't figured out a use for it.
Sponsor
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said, I don't know how to make it log on to FON, whatever that is, but the AutoAP script is available in several places including this thread, and if you understand that stuff (I don't) you could add new code to make it do what you want. Me, if it ain't one of ten or twenty kinds of assembler, I don't understand it.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. To be honest it would be more learning that I have time for to be able to edit the scripts myself.

BTFON as in BT/fonera's free wifi that is broadcast from residential and commercial locations throughout the UK ... just requires login to the captive portal for unlimited free access for FON members.

I've been watching the AutoAP logs over the last few hours and once logged in the ping test does work and I've seen it switch to a better AP ... I can only presume the login session expires after a certain length of time as it seems persistent between AP's and there should of been constant enough activity to keep the session alive when it died on me.

I will see how it runs as-is for a day or two, perhaps if AutoAP manages to keep me connected then I can deal with the auto login using some .net screen scrapping from my PC itself.
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Super. If it's not inconvenient, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to know how it functions for you, and to read your observations.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
nn5i wrote:
Super. If it's not inconvenient, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to know how it functions for you, and to read your observations.

ok well disabling the ping test just seems to send it in an endless loop of switching even though it was connecting fine.

I also found that with the ping test on and when the captive portal session times out (ie. no more pings), it again goes into the endless loop of switching and the only way out of these loops is by clearing the startup script; rebooting the router; getting a new active session going and then I can re-enable AutoAP.

I've also had a look at the code and figure since the captive portal is always returned that it just needs a alternative test to check a w_get response ... BUT that script is a well beyond my Microsoft based skill set ... don't know if anyone would be willing to hack the script for me? or failing that if offer up some working code examples and I will have a go at patching something together, but I don't really have any environment to learn/test in to be able to work it out from scratch.

very handy script though, since using it i can quite happily say I've seen double the performance out of my rather slow connection Smile
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting. Routers being cheap on eBay, I keep two AutoAP systems in my motor home: one with ping on, for times when I am in reach of a system, say at a motel, which does not require logging on; and one with ping off, for times when I am in reach of a system that does require logging on. Each works well, and I don't experience anything I would call an "endless loop of switching", although I'm not quite certain what you mean by that. Perhaps you have rescandelay set too short?
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
set to 120.

ill capture the logs next time it happens ... I guess it could be autoap_dhcpw might need to be higher (currently default at 15).
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
by endless loop of switching I meant .... it would join an channel .. i could see it get the SSID and IP in the web interface, plus trying to browse I was hitting the splash page ... but regardless AutoAP just kept trying another channel.
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you have misspelled watchinet=0? I did that once and was confused for a time.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope got the t-shirt, it just ignores the setting I believe!

Startup script (essentially just default):

nvram set wl_ssid=""
nvram set autoap_watchinet=1
nvram set autoap_scanfreq="60"
nvram set autoap_rescandelay="120"
`cd /tmp; until [ 2 = 1 ];do /bin/sleep 30;
/usr/bin/wget -Oautoap.sh http://downloads.sourceforge.net/autoap/autoap_090711.sh;
chmod 777 ./autoap.sh;./autoap.sh;done` &

The cycling problem also just happened to me, for example the MAC ending in E4 in '2.htm' I know was working ... I waited and waited but it didn't pick it up so I had to go through the process of clearing the startup, rebooting etc.

AutoAP example logs:
http://www.jamie-lewis.co.uk/autoap/1.htm
http://www.jamie-lewis.co.uk/autoap/2.htm
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see any nvram commit in there.

Also you don't need to do the nvram commands every startup -- they persist.

nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your AutoAP.sh is newer than the one I've been using! I didn't know there was a newer one. I've downloaded the newer one and will try it out.

One of your commands sets autoap_scanfreq. I see no reference to that in either version of the script. Did you really mean autoap_checkfreq?

tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are right on the scanfreq should of been check, I have changed that and added the commit.

Still hasn't made much difference though. I can fairly confidently say the main problem is with aap_checkjoin() method as with the ping check disabled it never managed to identify a gateway as usable .... even despite the fact it would had to of been online to download the script in the first place! Which then also accounts for why it works with pings enabled, but only once I have managed to log into a captive portal first, then it will go round all the SSID's until it gets back to the one I managed to log into ... very frustrating!

I also tried moving not setting variables on the startup, but it seems to me their not persistent due to the fact the script is downloaded fresh each time?

also I tried changing the download URL to a local machine with IIS so that I could serve up my own file primarily to edit it, but also so I didn't need to get the gateway online to get the script in the first place ... but it just never runs that way Sad

I'm probably missing something fundamental or maybe the older script version works better. Either way it's driven me nuts and I can't get my head around the syntax on top of that ... possibly time to give up I think!
nn5i
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giving up is no fun. I run mine in JFFS (see my instructions on about Page 91 of this thread)instead of downloading it each time, and haven't encountered any problems.
tagbak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I get told jffs is a read only file system and looking through the control panel I cant find any real mention of jffs apart from under a DHCP setting where it says not mounted.

presumably I have the wrong firmware ... Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 97 of 101
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: