How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Pod31
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
So do I need to have two routers for this to work? What kind of users is this feature useful to?
Sponsor
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh what a pseudo blacklight color scheme plus a web ui? Yes. Very soon.

Adding on to the web interface is kind of tricky, so this may take a few minutes to work out. (But its nearly there)

JP-newAap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.69 KB
 Viewed:  16499 Time(s)

JP-newAap.jpg

Shawn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johhny, Chuck,

I've been following this thread with interest. I must say "good job". This system does address an unmet need.

Jonnhy, do you plan releasing this as a stand alone set of programs? I would like to run it off of an SD card. Let me explain. I have a number of gs v2's (cgn3) that I keep stock firmware in and repurpose depending which SD card I have installed. The only change in the base unit is a script in nvram rc_startup that checks for the existance of a startup script on the SD card and executes it if it exists. To give an example one of my cards is for a couple of my small, low traffic sites. It does the following:

1) runs Bind as a secondary DNS
2) runs Lighttpd in virtual host mode for web service
3) runs Xmail for smtp & pop3
4) runs ntpd for time service
5) adds to cron for things like logrotate, etc

This is done from the init script on the SD card. It unmounts /jffs and remounts /mmc to it, mounts a directory to /opt for the optware packages and a directory to /etc so I have a writable /etc directory. It also unloads unneeded drivers such as the wireless and jffs2. It then runs the master sys V init script (rcS) to start the services.

I'm sure that you see the power of this system in that I need only keep 1 set of base firmware and can easily replace or repurpose a router as the need arises just by putting in the appropriate SD card.

Again, good job
-Shawn
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shawn:

You can download this as a standalone tool at:

http://www.partners.biz/autoap/autoap.zip

It will run from anywhere. If you want to view the log output via html, you'll need to:
~# mkdir /tmp/www
~# ln -s /tmp/www/autoap.html /tmp/autoap.log

It will then be available at http://routerip/user/autoap.html

-JP
Shawn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnny,

Thanks, I'll check it out

Chuck,

I don't see why not if you have enough ram to run the apps. Swap from an SD card may not be the most optimum solution Wink
xerovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:43    Post subject: Great work Johnny and everyone else involved! Reply with quote
I am going to test this setup this week and once I have it worked out I will donate the $100 AUD to whomever created the web part of the script or BS, its the developer choice.

I am an active donater so I wont be donating to both BS and the developer for this script (one person only). I just wanted to help out ChuckD so I threw up the $100 AUD having no idea what the outcome would be. I wont be using this development in the near future so I hope all that do enjoy it.

Great work getting this done ChuckD, I am sure if more people donated DDWRT would be so much better!

Bye for now!

Xerovis

www.reddog.com.au
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
the fix for dhcp renewal timeout is up at http://www.partners.biz/autoap/aap-dhcpfix/dd-wrt_v32sp2_autoap-generic.bin

The check does not modify checkpref, the sleep in checkpref deals with checking for ssid association itself, not dhcp. The timeout is implemented in joinpref(), just under killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc.

I'll have more updates shortly, I started a new job yesterday...the hours are killin me Smile
boody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is fantastic. I was wondering, would it be possible to have the script check for an internet connection? Possibly by pinging a website or somthing. The script works perfectly, connecting my router to the strongest open connection available. The only problem I am having is that a few times it connected to a source that does not seem to have internet access.

Also would it be possible to add this to a micro version. this seems like a realy cool use for my pos v5.

Thank you so much for this great script!
boody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
How to use this command:

- Click on ADMINISTRATION / COMMANDS...

- Enter the following command in the text box:

nvram set aap_ssidfilter="dd-wrt mshome linksys someNetwork"
nvram commit

- Click on RUN COMMANDS....

- Reboot the router... these settings will stay in flash ram permanantly..

Just a note. I followed these directions exactly, however the router continued to connect to the ssid "dd-wrt" wich was my downlink i set up to rebroadcast the connection. After playing around for a while I discovered that if instead of clicking "run commands" I clicked "save firewall" I then got the following message from autoap.html:

Quote:
Ignoring remote SSID 'dd-wrt' per user request.

This is awsome. I'm not sure if it is supposed to work this way and you made a typo in your guide, or if this is not how it should work and some kind of funky bug.

All I know is that it is working, And it is the most fantasic thing I have seen since I discovered dd-wrt.

SUPERWISH: a v24 micro with the ability to autoconnect and repeat a connection and still fit onto a v5 router. I think there would be a market for preflashed/configured routers like this, and this could be a good use for v5's. I'd like to put mine in my car.

ULTRASUPERWISH: The ability to store security keys for specific ssid's so if I did place a router in my car it would autoconnect to my secure network @ home when I pulled into my driveway, and my secure network @ work when I pulled into the parkinglot. Also the ability to perhaps give specific ssid's preferance so that even if they are not the strongest signal they would still connect first. Ok now I'm rambling...

Last edited by boody on Tue Nov 14, 2006 16:07; edited 1 time in total
Bird333
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Congrats on getting this far!!!! Do you guys think there is a way to have this connected to multiple wifi's? Like the virtual wifi mentioned here http://research.microsoft.com/netres/projects/virtualwifi/.

Keep up the good work!!
pobletewireless
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 16:54    Post subject: THIS WAS INVENTED YET!!! nothing new Reply with quote
There are a similat tool developed for OpenWrt months ago. Please, visit this link for more details.

http://pobletewireless.blogspot.com/2006/06/wrt54g-como-buscador-automtico-de.html
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
While it's true that BlueBox does accomplish some of the same things, it does not fill the basic requirements set forth in the first post of this thread.

A script that will stay resident through reboots, on a standard router. Not everyone has jffs to spare.

We need to set out SSIDs and BSSIDs to which we do not want to connect, and have these stay resident as well.

We want to integrate this into DD-WRT, not OpenWRT, and the goal is only this feature. BlueBox also installs WiViz and Kismet. Thereby raising a need for libpcap as well.

BlueBox is a cool tool, and I encourage any interested parties to go check it out, but it is not the same things as AutoAP, nor does it solve the same problems.

Re: Wep keys: Yes. Ultimately this will take care of all AP connection priority needs. You'll be able to prioritize open and protected APs, and you'll also be able to simply scan for and connect to any open access point.

-Lee
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome... We're good to go.. Just had to take care of a few things and anon-o-mize myself due to recent publicity... Make sense?.......

I'm here and we will resume now....

This will give you a hint who I am:

"Take care,"

Now I'm wo-fo...........

and I am not all over google........ Wink
TommyE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello all.

As I'm pretty new to dd-wrt, I'm wondering, can I use the AutoAP version on my WRT54G v5 (The low memory cheapo version)?

I have successfully flashed it with v23sp2 today.

Thanks

TommyE
Seth7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not part of the normal dd-wrt ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: