How to scan for ANY OPEN WIFI? [SOLVED] - AutoAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
TommyE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seth7 wrote:
Its not part of the normal dd-wrt ...

I understand that, but is there a micro version for the WRT54G v5?

Best regards
Tommy
Sponsor
JohnnyPrimus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tommy,

I'll be creating v23sp2 std and micro builds, along with some kind of v24 release. I've also got a web interface and better logging solution on the way.

Unfortunately after I bricked my router last time and cut my roommates off from the internet for a couple days, I am unable to risk testing builds on my router. Once I can get another one to develop on, I'll resume releasing updates and builds.
joblo6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnny...

I bet you'll get some dev routers in no time Wink
TommyE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnnyPrimus wrote:
Tommy,

I'll be creating v23sp2 std and micro builds, along with some kind of v24 release. I've also got a web interface and better logging solution on the way.

Unfortunately after I bricked my router last time and cut my roommates off from the internet for a couple days, I am unable to risk testing builds on my router. Once I can get another one to develop on, I'll resume releasing updates and builds.

Cool Very Happy

My cheapo router is not that bad after all.

/Tommy
joblo6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
you should try and stay away from the version 5 WRT45G routers.
They are expensive ($50) and there are much better routers out there for the same price range.

The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is only $60 bucks on newegg and is a MUCH better piece of hardware. It is better all around than the linksys gear... even the lower end $40 buffalo router is better, so your spending to much money for a cheapo router Razz
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnny.. I will send out some routers to you as I mentioned before.. I will try and get that done tomorrow and I wil throw in a few brand new GL's, no problem... I didn't know you were dead in the water without them.. Holy @#$%!!! We have to keep you in the routers, and I don't want you sitting there sweating bricking them... No problem.. Brick away.. They are all donations to science... I will take care of this right away so we can continue some more with this.. I just got sidetracked for a few days, but I am getting back into the groove...

Sorry I had to disappear like that.. I've been in a whirlwind of activity over the last few days, but hopefully this weekend will settle down..

I have been rolling around the post where the guy said that he flashed his router and it began searching on its own, without entering the command and saving it to start-up...

I just figured out why, and that is because when you load that autoap_nvrambak.bin file, it puts the command in the start-up during the restore process...

All you have to do is flash it, load the config file, reboot it, refresh your LAN connection, and BOOM, you are searching for wifi and probably already connected...

That is awesome...

I also found something else rather interesting.. I just flashed it into a Buffalo WHR-54-GS.. It works fine except the html page will not load.. It does not say "file not found" either.. It just sits there on a blank white page, and if you hit it again, it just reloads the blank page again... I don't care about this issue, it is just more engeneering data for JP...

I will go check my other msg.s and see if I have the address....

Take care,
wo-fo
(That's kind of like wi-fi, but it's wo-fo... wink!)
boody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running this for a few days now, and for the most part it works great. There have been a few strange things going on though when autoap looses its connection.

I'm setup like this:

OpenAP(whatever ip) ~~DHCP~~ WRT54G AutoAp(192.168.10.1) port 1 ---DHCP--> wan port WRT54G DD-WRT(192.168.2.1) ~~~DHCP~~~ my laptop

I have noticed three problems with this setup when the connection between the openAP and my AutoAP is flaky

1. On more than one occasion I lost internet however connecting directly to the open ap with my laptop I can reach the internet.

2. I have had instances when the internet dropped, but autoap.html was accesable, however it read "attempting to ping gateway [0.0.0.0]" repeatedly

3.I have had instances in which I could not reach the web interface or autoap.html at all.

9 out of 10 times power cycling the routers repairs the connection

It would seem that occasionaly when the connection drops between the open ap and my autoap the router gets stuck pinging 0.0.0.0 and does not look for another connection

It also seems that once the router(client) associates with an ap and is given an ip, then looses that signal the web interface and autoap are not reachable.

Can anyone tell me if I should change my setup in someway so I can access the web interface once the connection drops?

Also can anyone answer the question in my last post about the "run commands" vs "save firewall"

My routers are old and i have put them through alot so it is possable that they are not working properly, but I want to help you debug this feature as I see it being very usefull.
joblo6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
wo-fo is having simaler problems when it comes to not being able to refreash the html page... i think this is a bug and JP is probly working on a solution on it...

JP is also working on a web interface under the wireless tab in dd-wrt control panel, he will probly fix a few bugs when this comes out...

Just hold out for a few more days and he'll probly be back with a very inpressive update!
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
boody.. we will have to ask JohnnyPrimus what the difference is between SAVE COMMANDS and SAVE FIREWALL..

I read what you said about that and in my case, SAVE COMMANDS did work and the filter does filter.. I haven't tried clicking the SAVE FIREWALL button and seeing what happens..

My guess is that they both serve a similar function of storing data in nvram, and therefore, it probably works either way, as you have demonstrated...

The loose ends you are talking about are being worked on, but JP got a new job he is getting settled into, and I had a whirlwind of media activity shut me down for a few days amd make me change my name here for google sake, but I am the same guy that started this at the top and I will be sending JP some routers to work with today so we can continue..

So if evryone could play around with what you have now and continue to gather data to help in the refinement process, that would be great... This weekend we will work with it some more and by next week we will have JP setup with all of the resources he needs to do his thing...

You all have a good day and I will check back later on....

Take care,
wo-fo
boody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
wo-fo wrote:
I read what you said about that and in my case, SAVE COMMANDS did work and the filter does filter.. I haven't tried clicking the SAVE FIREWALL button and seeing what happens..

OK, now I am more confused, I do not have a "SAVE COMMANDS" option. I have "RUN COMMANDS", "SAVE STARTUP", and "SAVE FIREWALL". I tried all three options rebooting the router after each time, specifacally I tried "RUN COMMANDS" three or four times as that is what the how-to states. This did NOT work for me, however when I choose "SAVE FIREWALL" l I then got the "Ignoreing ... per user .." message. This is on a v2 box. I just wonder if I may have a problem with my box, because if I do I don't want to draw attention to problems I am having as they may not be bugs at all, but simply problems with my specific box.

Thanks for replying guys, I don't want to rush anyone, I am very patient. I just want to help you out by running this and reporting issues I see, as I have no skills to fix the problems myself.
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
My bad... I meant RUN COMMANDS... sorry...

It sounds like you didn't do "nvram commit" followed by a reboot....
Shadyman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question, what's with all the "Sad" posts? Seriously.
My WRT Stuff: http://erroraccessdenied.com/wrt54
joblo6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google bombing can be a bad thing... Wink
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
boody... I have found that you are correct in your findings that the SAVE FIREWALL activates the filters, while the RUN COMMNDS does not seem to activate it..

It does do it with RUN COMMANDS somehow, because I must have somehow stumbled into the process in the beginning, but now I have found that the way to save the settings and get them to stick every time is to click on SAVE FIREWALL,,, reboot the router,, and then you can remove the commmands from the firewall script and they will still be there indefinitely....

More data.......

JohnnyPrimus... Today I boxed up 5 semi-bricked WRT54GL's, a couple WRT54G V5's and V6's, and two BRAND NEW WRT54GL's also, and I threw in one of each type of Buffalo routers.. The WHR-HP-G54 and the WHR-54-GS....

The Buffalo's are fine and are not bricked.. They are good routers with no problems.. You can use them immediately, along with the new GL's.. I think one or two of the V5's or V6's are good also.. Each router is marked with what I think is wrong with it and how bad I think it is.. They vary in their issues.. I don't think any of them are totally bricked.. I just don't have the time to mess with them.. You can have at them and use them for your development work...

This way you will be decked out with all of the variations of devices everyone is using and you can see what the in's and out's of the different models are, and if you crash one, just toss it and keep going.. Works for meeeeeee!!!!

I didn't get to the UPS store yet though, but tomorrow I will get them on their way to you.. I have printed out the info required and they will be on their way by the fastest means that is economically feasible for the package...

To the rest of you here.. I am going to kick down about a dozen different routers to help the cause, and if the rest of you would be so kind as to make a donation to BrainSlayer for keeping us all going here and for his brilliant work that we all benefit so much from, and I of course will always continue to do so also,, and while you are at it, if you run this autoap application and hit the html log page, it shows JohnnyPrimus' PayPal donation email address there... Make a note of it and go into paypal and simply click on send money, and send it to him... If he had some cash right now he could just go to Best Buy and get a couple of routers and we would all be kicking booty with new toys to play with...

You all have a good evening and I will talk to you tomorrow...

Take care,
wo-fo
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
boody... One more thing...

I have found that to connect this to another router for the downlink side of the repeater, you have to set the wireless mac address restriction in the downlink router with the wireless mac of the autoap device,, along with setting the ssid filter and mac filter in autoap.. This way the autoap client definitely cannot connect to the downlink side and create a data loop, thereby hanging up the system in an infinite loop...

I have found that if you do this is it rounds the whole thing out and it works great.. I have also found that the firmware with the longer delay for the DHCP assignment works better in all of my tests...

The final setting I have put into dd-wrt to make this keep doing its thing was to set the WDS/Connection Watchdog Timer to ping a time server 216.52.237.151 every 6 minutes and reboot completely and start the whole scan process over from scratch if it cannot ping the server on the web.. This way it will not just sit there forever if it encounters one of the conditions you talked about above..

JohnnyPrimus has laid out a great vision for the ultimate design of this and I am sure all of these little issues will be put to rest eventually, but these are ways I have figured out how to put the rubber on the road right now and make it work real nice the way it is currently....

see ya',
wo-fo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 92, 93, 94  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 94
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: