R7000 & QoS - recommended settings for games/media strea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 15:55    Post subject: R7000 & QoS - recommended settings for games/media strea Reply with quote
I am sharing how I have my r7000 configured for QoS running kong code.

I did some research since owning my r7000.
I found that the existing documents are dated & refer to older implementations of QoS. The basics are still the same but I added my own real world experience settings.

You need to know a few things about your service provided internet connection to properly plug in values.
So before you apply QoS (turn QoS off if already on) you need to disconnect all devices except 1 hard wired pc/mac for speed testing.
Wireless devices may introduce wireless impacts that wont give correct WAN speeds.

Run speed tests from sources off site such as speedtest.net, speedtest.charter.com or other resources.

What you are looking for is your true upload/download rates. What you pay for isnt always what your true speeds are.
Also, perform the tests multiple times AND during the time frame you will most use it for gaming or media streaming.

Once you know your true rates you are ready to start QoS.
On the QoS page you can choose to apply QoS to the WAN or WAN & LAN. I suggest only WAN unless you do a LOT of LAN to LAN file transfers or otherwise congestion causing traffic on the LAN. (unlikely in most cases)
From my research it appears HTB with FQ_codel offers good performance & low overhead.
Next "Uplink" that is the lower value of your WAN speed.
In my case with Charter I get 30Mbps/4Mbps.
With testing, I can prove I get almost exactly what I am supposed to get.
For QoS to be effective you have to set the values for anything in the range of 80% - 95% of what you actually are getting. More on that in a minute.

Now you have to convert Mbps to kbps. The math is easy. 1024 Kbps for every 1 Mbps.
Lets use mine as an example.
Remember we are focusing on the "uplink" rate for now.
I want to know what 80% of 4 Mbps is.
#1 4 (Mbps) x 1024 (kbps) = 4096 Kbps is my full Uplink rate.
Remember where I said for QoS to work you have to set it lower than your real speed. I suggest starting with 80-85% of your real speed.
So 80% of 4096 Kbps is determined by multiplying.
.8 x 4096 = 3276.8
Now I know what to put in my "Uplink" field.

Next we do the same thing for the "Downlink". This is the max rate you can download from the internet.

In my case it is 30Mbps. Convert that to kbps.
30x1024= 30720 kbps
For QoS I want 80% of that.
.8 x 30720= 24576
Now I know what to put in my "Downlink" field.

Tic all 4 of the packet priority fields UNLESS you do torrenting.
Torrents involve a lot of "chatty" ACK. So if you do torrents then do not tic that field.

Next you will use mac priority.
Put the mac address of your game console/media streaming device (like Roku) in this field and chose a priority of "Premium".
Be careful not to put everything in premium or you will defeat the purpose of it.
When everything else is slowed down, what do you need to keep rocking? Thats what goes in premium.
You can leave everything else alone or you can also assign lesser queues to the other devices.

Mac based priority takes precedence over all other forms of priority so you can use others with different values but if its in the mac section, THATS what the device will get.

Apply that.
Next go to the management section (bottom of page) & make sure you have "Westwood" selected. You can also tweak the TCP/UDP timeouts.
Apply.

Leave your QoS settings like this for a few days and see how your network reacts.

If its good, write down the values for later.
If you want to get back a little of the bandwidth you carved out earlier then now you can test closer to the edge.
Remember when I said set it 80%?
That is the new MAX bandwidth your router will allow to travel in and out your router WAN.
Setting it low like that to start is best.
Now that you have the baseline but want some of the 20% you took away you can begin testing your QoS by increments.
I suggest 5% at a time.
Replace the 80% values with 85% values. Apply and test for a few days. If it does what you want, next try 90%. Then 95%.
Do NOT go 100% as that will most likely defeat the purpose of QoS. Once you find where the QoS doesnt seem to be working as well as before; back it off & thats your new QoS settings going forward.

Hope that helps.

ddwrt_qos_01.jpg
 Description:
Changed from HFSC to HTB.
Thank you James
 Filesize:  218.99 KB
 Viewed:  3958 Time(s)

ddwrt_qos_01.jpg

ddwrt_qos_02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.98 KB
 Viewed:  3995 Time(s)

ddwrt_qos_02.jpg

R7500 (returned after 3 days of testing. It worked well as a router but without dd-wrt I couldnt stomach the limitations of Genie)

Last edited by slidermike on Tue Jul 15, 2014 16:52; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Vishwa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great post, Mike. I don't need it now but when I do, I know where to come back.
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally I prefer HTB FQ_CODEL vs HFSC FQ_CODEL as I find HTB seems to kick in quicker than HFSC when under load
http://test-ipv6.netiter.dk (20/20)
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
HTB is a good one also. I would see no issue with choosing it over HFCS.
I adjusted the lead in for HTB instead of HFCS.
Both are acceptable but since I am using/suggesting a queuing mechanism that benefits more from HTB thats why I made the change.
Thank you to James.

Supporting document.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

R7500 (returned after 3 days of testing. It worked well as a router but without dd-wrt I couldnt stomach the limitations of Genie)
atag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 21:52    Post subject: mac priority through a lan switch Reply with quote

is MAC address prioritizing only works for devices
connected directly to the router or also devices
connected to the router through a LAN Switch ?
as english is not my native language here is a simple illustration

|R7000|------>|SWITCH|---->MAC Address for a device

please note that iam only prioritizing WAN Traffic.

Thank You slidermike for sharing this helpful article.
KALIROB2K6
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
i see they closed the last topic about the r7000, is there a new one for it, Mike? there are so many r7000 topics i'm just curious in worst case scenario. Confused

- jenn
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:16    Post subject: Re: mac priority through a lan switch Reply with quote
Atag,
Yes it should work for both in your question.
atag wrote:

atag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 0:06    Post subject: Re: mac priority through a lan switch Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Atag,
Yes it should work for both in your question.
atag wrote:

Thank You for answering my question.
RealtorRod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Old thread but a terrific one nonetheless. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: