2.4ghz dropping Asus RT-AC5300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
00diabolic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 15:33    Post subject: 2.4ghz dropping Asus RT-AC5300 Reply with quote
REF: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328345

TheScotsman wrote:
For what it's worth on the AC-5300 - by and large I've been very happy with it, and flashing DD-WRT on it was a piece of cake. I'd previously used an N66U and pretty much just copied over my old configuration, with a few adjustments for the differences in hardware and new capabilities on the later build I was using.

However, the AC-5300 + DD-WRT does have some oddities - I've never gotten the LEDs to work properly (doesn't look like ASUS ever documented the pinouts completely, and messing with GPIO at random is great way to brick a router). The 2.4GHz radio in particular sometimes just loses its mind a bit, requiring a restart ("stopservice nas; sleep 5; startservice nas" does the trick, a whole reboot isn't required). And lastly I've had a vexing issue where it refuses to pickup the DHCP address from my cable modem when everything restarts, but I think that's actually an issue on the modem side, not with the AC-5300+DD-WRT. None of them critical, just a little finicky at times. Smile

I have an AC5300 and can you explain that stopservice nas; sleep 5; startservice nas trick? Do you put that under custom script or how else do you get that to run if the 2.4ghz goes down. I have watchdog setup and it reboot the whole router right now and its every 45mins but that is on the newest DDWRT which is a problem i know. WHat version are you on?

Last edited by 00diabolic on Tue Mar 09, 2021 18:09; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
TheScotsman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
00diabolic wrote:
I have an AC5300 and can you explain that stopservice nas; sleep 5; startservice nas trick? Do you put that under custom script or how else do you get that to run if the 2.4ghz goes down. I have watchdog setup and it reboot the whole router right now and its every 45mins but that is on the newest DDWRT which is a problem i know. WHat version are you on?

Sure thing - I'm currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r43516 std (06/25/20) on it (there are newer builds available but I haven't delved in to pick a new one and rebuild yet). I have a USB stick mounted on /jffs, and use /jffs/usr/bin (which I've added to path) for various utility scripts. "radiorestart" is actually a holdover from my N66U days, but it's a little simpler on the AC5300 and current DD-WRT build as only the NAS service needs a restart (on the N66U wlconf also needed a restart). Full code is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# /jffs/usr/bin/radiorestart
#
# Restart the wireless radios via the NAS service if wifi (esp. VAPs) are misbehaving

stopservice nas
# stopservice wlconf      # Was only needed on N66U
sleep 5
# startservice wlconf     # Was only needed on N66U
startservice NAS

Since the first sign of trouble is usually one of the boys complaining they're having issues I just SSH in and run it when needed. They're on an isolated VAP on the 2.4GHz radio; most of my stuff is either on the real 2.4GHz access point (not a VAP) or on 5GHz, I can't recall not being able to get in when things are acting up but worst case I've also got systems on wired connections I could fall back on. Frequency is probably at best once-per-week - I keep thinking of putting it on a nightly cycle via cron but haven't bothered yet. The AC-5300 itself has been up-and-running 73 days since its last reboot.

Last edited by TheScotsman on Thu Mar 04, 2021 15:57; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
build release thread wrote:
VAPs not working at boot fixed for unbridged VAPs in 40562 - 40566. Effective startup commands discussion thread is here.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 16:47; edited 1 time in total
00diabolic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheScotsman wrote:
00diabolic wrote:

Sure thing - I'm currently running DD-WRT v3.0-r43516 std (06/25/20) on it (there are newer builds available but I haven't delved in to pick a new one and rebuild yet). I have a USB stick mounted on /jffs, and use /jffs/usr/bin (which I've added to path) for various utility scripts. "radiorestart" is actually a holdover from my N66U days, but it's a little simpler on the AC5300 and current DD-WRT build as only the NAS service needs a restart (on the N66U wlconf also needed a restart). Full code is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# /jffs/usr/bin/radiorestart
#
# Restart the wireless radios via the NAS service if wifi (esp. VAPs) are misbehaving

stopservice nas
# stopservice wlconf      # Was only needed on N66U
sleep 5
# startservice wlconf     # Was only needed on N66U
startservice NAS

Since the first sign of trouble is usually one of the boys complaining they're having issues I just SSH in and run it when needed. They're on an isolated VAP on the 2.4GHz radio; most of my stuff is either on the real 2.4GHz access point (not a VAP) or on 5GHz, I can't recall not being able to get in when things are acting up but worst case I've also got systems on wired connections I could fall back on. Frequency is probably at best once-per-week - I keep thinking of putting it on a nightly cycle via cron but haven't bothered yet. The AC-5300 itself has been up-and-running 73 days since its last reboot.

OK so you manually do this when the 2.4ghz goes down? Is that radio issue tied to the nas problems? Or that nas command reboots the radio only? I do have nas running but I only have the issue with 2.4ghz with some builds, not more recent ones. Currently i'm on v3.0-r45493 std (01/19/21) and have yet to have the 2.4ghz go down but it is winter and summer is when I have those issues. I also tried a newer build where all the radios went down every 45mins. I might have to go to your build if issues come up when it gets hotter. 73days is impressive, i reboot mine weekly just because feel like i avoid problems that way.

Last edited by 00diabolic on Thu Mar 04, 2021 17:10; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please re-read the linked thread in the quote from the build thread release posts. The usual solution is to put the workaround in the startup script under Administration->Commands.

----------------------
00diabolic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Please re-read the linked thread in the quote from the build thread release posts. The usual solution is to put the workaround in the startup script under Administration->Commands.

Yeah that is what I do with all my automation needed. However it does not work if you want to respond when the radio goes down out of the blue. A total reboot fixes anything, if you could just reboot the radio that would be great. Is that possible?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this the radio itself or a virtual interface / access point that is going down? The same commands apply, either way. I'm sure there's some magic voodoo script that could be written to check to see if it's up, perhaps.

My question is, are you running the standard image or the experimental driver image?

Today's release:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-04-2021-r45891/asus-rt-ac5300/

----------------------
00diabolic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is this the radio itself or a virtual interface / access point that is going down? The same commands apply, either way. I'm sure there's some magic voodoo script that could be written to check to see if it's up, perhaps.

My question is, are you running the standard image or the experimental driver image?

Today's release:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-04-2021-r45891/asus-rt-ac5300/

Its just the 2.4ghz radio only not virtual. I'm running standard image. Ive more or less gotten the problem fixed by updating to newer versions, I was just curious in case it comes back because in one of the latest updates this problem reappeared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: