Found something interesting...can someone explain it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Found something interesting...can someone explain it. Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've been playing all day trying to figure out NAS/Optware....I finally gave up.

but that's another story....

Here is a finding today...but I can't figure out why.

I have my NAS unit setup as a Repeater Bridge on my network. I can access it with ftp just fine...and http does work...but is very limiting....so I wanted to install optware for the http server....ok... here's the dilemma.....

Any Bridged router...can NOT talk directly to the WAN...meaning ping doesn't work...and neither does ipkg commands.

If...the unit is Repeater...so the WAN is an active part of the router...then ping and ipkg works....so my question is....why?

[EDIT] - you must be logged into the router using telnet or putty to test this.

I just can't figure this one out.

BTW...I tried Client Bridge mode also...same as Repeater Bridge...that is what clued me into it being a WAN issue through the bridge.

Does this have something to do with the MAC issues that we see where the Bridged unit won't pass the MAC to from clients behind it....so the network always sees those clients as the MAC from the Bridge?

And...just so I don't get flamed for not providing the info.

Host AP = Asus RT-N16 w/14929 K26_big
RB = Asus WL520GU w/14929 usb_generic and 4G USB stick for storage

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does your RB have it's gateway IP set to the main router? Does it have its DNS set? If you SSH into the RB can it ping google?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very interesting....I had the GW set to the main router but the Local DNS was left blank (as I have on all my RB units)

Once I set local DNS to the main router's IP...ping now works....so it seems clients can have DNS work when you connect to the router without it set...but the router itself can't communicate without it set.

I guess I'll have to retry ipkg again sometime.

Thanx, phuzi0n.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: