Question about Images and editing files.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
duomenox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 23:29    Post subject: Question about Images and editing files. Reply with quote
Hi everone,

I am a new DD-WRT user. I am pretty impressed with the options, and like the ability to manipluate these routers by using Linux... so many thanks out ot the DD-WRT team.

I want to apologize if these answers were already available on the forums. I search but did not find anything. I am known to miss something on occasion. I also checked the wiki, which is comming along nicely! If I can contribute any help on documentation I will be happy to. As you can see from this post, I don't have a hard time piling up the words :-)

I am new to SquashFS I understand it is read only, and I also understand that I can create new config files on a JFFS partition to override some settings in the SquashFS partition but I would like to do 2 major things:

#1 - I would like to be able to edit some of the config files on the RO partition.

#2 - I would like to be able to take a fully configured router (including any optware I installed, and the settings) and pull down an image. I have 2 reasons for this, I want a backup of all the router I will be installing for my family members (I am the tech support of the family, I'm sure you guys can relate) and I want to be able to quickly replace a bad router of a family member when needed (the less extra configuration the better).

I saw the backup setting options, but it does not seem like it backs up the optware and other "manual" settings... please correct me if I am wrong.

I also understand that I will most likely need to edit the config files in the image, possibly recompile the image back to a .bin file, then upload it to the router... all of which I am perfectly happy to do.. I just don't know how, and what tools to use. Also, free tools fit my budget much better than tool I have to pay for.

I would appreciate any advice/info/guidence with these questions. I apologize again if these answers were posted in the forums and I just happened to miss them.

Oh, and one more thing... I am a native Windows user. I have to use many Windows apps for work and school, I am also a novie Linux user... I can hold my own as long as I have access to the net Razz

duomenox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?

Even a link to some documentation about this would be helpful.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If someone could help that would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: