Linksys WRT400N Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
rody
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just upgraded to the lastest version 1.1.13 version r20453.

I am just setup as an access point, but that works fine.

rody
Sponsor
boarman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rudy64 wrote:
I just picked up a WRT400N this afternoon, which the previous owner had installed build 19519. It seems very stable so far, and I ran it through the stress test of having two streaming media boxes pulling a 720p video file through it. No problems!

Everything so far seems to connect (WD TV Live, Sony SMP-N100, HTC Thunderbolt, etc.), yet in one of life's great ironies, the Acer laptop will not connect...and the Acer's wireless interface is made by Atheros!!

I had my WRT160Nv3 configured as 2.4GHz, N-only, channel width set to 40MHz, and the Acer connected perfectly. In the WRT400N, I've kept it set to N-only, yet have tried 20MHz, 20/40MHz and 40MHz channel widths with no success. I've switched wireless channels up and down. I even disabled the 5.0GHz radio to no effect. SSID is good (I let Windows 7 search for the network), password is correct, etc.

I was planning on using one of these routers as an access point, and have currently set up the old 160N as an AP using my old SSID and the DHCP on the 400N. The Acer can connect that way with no problem, and gets a correct static DHCP entry from the 400N. But, it is frustrating to try everything I know SHOULD work, but doesn't.

I don't know if there is something incompatible between the Acer and the 400N's wireless...all other settings I've looked at mirror exactly what I had in the 160N. Either it's my lack of sleep or I'm missing something blindingly obvious...even skimming this thread didn't help much this time out. Sad

Hmm...it sounds like you have WMM Support disabled...
tc33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also applied r20453 to two 400Ns, both in client bridge mode on 5G with separate APs on the 2.4 channel, all has been working well for a few days now. Can access GUI from both wired and wireless clients.

Solved my limited-data-rate LAN issue as well.

Rudy -- I'm guessing you solved this already, but for someone else, I have to set my AP to N/G mixed (vs N-only) so that my Acer laptop will connect. I haven't tried updating my Acer WLAN drivers in a while, however.
boarman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed 02-11-2013-r20675 on a secondhand WRT400N I acquired because of reports that this particular Atheros chipset had very good performance. So far, I have not observed any issues although I have not done anything to push it that hard. After working through the configuration settings, I have discovered that my previous comment regarding Rudy's problem was invalid...there is no way to muck with WMM settings in the DD-WRT Atheros version as you can in the Broadcom versions...it just isn't there in any of the configuration tabs. My other linksys routers/APs have Broadcom chipsets so I didn't expect that the configuration features in the Atheros version of DD-WRT would be different.
boarman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51    Post subject: WRT400N Wireless LED behavior (r20675) Reply with quote
For Broadcom chipsets on similar linksys routers, the wireless LED indicator is ON when the Radio is enabled and OFF when the radio is disabled. It appears that as of r20675, the wireless LED indicator is tied to a function that is turning it off...perhaps based on LAN/WAN traffic activity? I can't be sure. If I perform a 'gpio disable 6', it will briefly activate the LED before some process automatically turns it off again. You can achieve a flashing effect with this LED by running a script to loop 'gpio disable 6' every 1 second. Does anyone know why wireless LED indicator is behaving this way? I know that there was a problem with the wireless LED indicator based on earlier comments in this thread. Perhaps this was the accepted solution to that problem? I would rather it behave like it does on the broadcom chipsets.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
tc33 wrote:
Also applied r20453 to two 400Ns, both in client bridge mode on 5G with separate APs on the 2.4 channel, all has been working well for a few days now. Can access GUI from both wired and wireless clients.

Solved my limited-data-rate LAN issue as well.

Rudy -- I'm guessing you solved this already, but for someone else, I have to set my AP to N/G mixed (vs N-only) so that my Acer laptop will connect. I haven't tried updating my Acer WLAN drivers in a while, however.

I ended up going with mixed mode and I've fixed that issue. Other than the Nintendo devices (which live on a different less-secure network using WEP), everything else in the house is now N-capable, so I'm not worried about a G device knocking speeds down.

I do have instability in the 400N, though. It is at the point where it runs for three or four days, then the Internet access dies. The only way to restart it is to unplug the unit for several seconds, plug it back in, THEN go into the Administration tab and reboot the router.

If the newer build above might cure that, I'll give it a try. It's a minor annoyance for me, but if I'm not at home, it's a bit of a chore to tell anyone which router to reset, and how to do it. (Or just connect to the less-secure network temporarily.) I am currently using build 19519 ("DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std - build 19519") which was already loaded on the router when I bought it.

The Acer laptop wasn't mine, but I now have my own. Nice thing is, it can use the 5.0GHz signal, and mine is apparently the only 5.0GHz router in the neighborhood. I had a bit of a mishap after I'd swapped over to a new Sandisk Extreme SSD (it's mind-numbingly fast, BTW), where I had wireless and Bluetooth issues in Windows 8. I downloaded the latest from Acer and installed, but wireless was still out. Surprisingly, a BIOS upgrade fixed the wireless and it has been rock solid ever since.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
boarman wrote:
I installed 02-11-2013-r20675 on a secondhand WRT400N I acquired because of reports that this particular Atheros chipset had very good performance. So far, I have not observed any issues although I have not done anything to push it that hard. After working through the configuration settings, I have discovered that my previous comment regarding Rudy's problem was invalid...there is no way to muck with WMM settings in the DD-WRT Atheros version as you can in the Broadcom versions...it just isn't there in any of the configuration tabs. My other linksys routers/APs have Broadcom chipsets so I didn't expect that the configuration features in the Atheros version of DD-WRT would be different.

No problem there--I ended up setting it to mixed mode and it's been working fine ever since. My plan is to move the 160N to the other side of the house (wired), to enhance wireless over there and provide a wired connection to a streaming media box over there (streaming 1080p content to HDTV).

I will try one of these newer builds, though, to help with the stability--the router craps out after a few days. A power cycle alone will not fix it--the network comes back, but has no Internet. I have to reboot from the Administration tab in the firmware to get the Internet to work (which I can tell by the WAN IP address, showing as 0.0.0.0 after a power cycle but loads properly after a reboot from the web interface). The router runs slightly warm, but not alarmingly hot. It is about the same or a hair warmer than the 160N I have.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
So far, so good: I grabbed the 21286 build from 4/15/2013 and it seems stable so far. I even decided to take a chance and keep my NVRAM settings--no problems whatsoever. The pages in the web interface seem to load briskly now as well, but I really haven't looked at them much in the past few months to give it a fair comparison. I notice under the Status / LAN tabs that my Active Clients now update within seconds as I connect/disconnect devices. (It seemed to lag in other versions.)

I'll report back in a couple of weeks to report how stable this build is. If I find I don't lose my connections like I did above (where I had to power cycle, then reboot from the web interface, to bring back the network and WAN connections), this may have solved it.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update almost a month later: for me, build 21286 has been running almost flawlessly. The web interface still seems slightly faster. I have not had to reset the router for any reason, and my connections have not "died" like they did in the previous build I was running. Nice! I was a bit surprised that it said uptime was 28 days but sure enough, that is when I loaded the new firmware.

The only hiccup I've found is that on my laptop, I occasionally lose Internet connectivity. I wonder if it might be something in the 5.0GHz radio vs. 2.4GHz. Usually if I switch my connection to the 2.4GHz radio on the same router, Internet reconnects instantly. I am not going to blame the router, as it could be something that the laptop drops. It happens infrequently, not enough to worry about.

For my part, I can say that this build is a success and will be a "keeper" for me. So now I have both my 160N and 400N running nicely.

My only annoyance is that since I'm using the 160N as only a wireless access point, I have to add the MAC addresses (for wireless security) manually, meaning I have to disconnect and switch around the routers so I can access the 160N. I did assign it a different IP address (10.0.2.1), but since I am using it by connecting via one of the four Ethernet ports, it hasn't mattered--DHCP works as expected. I just don't know if I am missing an easier way to access that second router. (I had tried plugging it in by using its own WAN port, but using either 10.0.2.1 or the address that the main router assigns it, I still cannot access it. I need to read up on routing rules and such. Wink )

And you know...I have these two running nicely, so it is only natural I find yet another router to mess around with. Very Happy (I really want one with 10/100/1000 Ethernet, USB, and both 2.4/5.0GHz radios as my main router.)
boarman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 20:17    Post subject: WRT400 uptime and configuration Reply with quote
Good to hear of your uptime. I am running with 20275 and my uptime is currently at 87 days (since I last made an update to it, which I normally do a reboot afterwards).

I have not experienced any problems with connections dropping on the 5GHz radio but I am normally connected to router on the 2.4Ghz with my laptop (which doesn't support 5GHz) and to the 5Ghz with my blackberry. Please keep this thread updated if you begin to suspect the firmware to be the issue.

I am not sure I understand your issue with the 160N. If you have DDWRT installed on the 160N, it should be pretty simply to configure it as an access point that is accessible directly over your single LAN and set the security for the wireless as you need it. I am thinking you still have it configured as a gateway and not as an actual access point.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 23:38    Post subject: Re: WRT400 uptime and configuration Reply with quote
boarman wrote:
Good to hear of your uptime. I am running with 20275 and my uptime is currently at 87 days (since I last made an update to it, which I normally do a reboot afterwards).

I have not experienced any problems with connections dropping on the 5GHz radio but I am normally connected to router on the 2.4Ghz with my laptop (which doesn't support 5GHz) and to the 5Ghz with my blackberry. Please keep this thread updated if you begin to suspect the firmware to be the issue.

I am not sure I understand your issue with the 160N. If you have DDWRT installed on the 160N, it should be pretty simply to configure it as an access point that is accessible directly over your single LAN and set the security for the wireless as you need it. I am thinking you still have it configured as a gateway and not as an actual access point.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:38    Post subject: Sept. update: build 21286 still good!! Reply with quote
boarman wrote:

I am still on build 21286 after all these months, and I have never had to reboot the router for any reason. It has proven to be really stable for me!

boarman wrote:

My problem right now is that I do not have another 5GHz device to check it with. But for what it's worth, I do occasionally drop the 2.4GHz connection on the laptop also. It's not a serious problem, as I can switch back to 5.0GHz or just reconnect the 2.4GHz and it connects within seconds. I'm more likely to blame the laptop at this point. For normal everyday use, everything else in the house works with no issues.

boarman wrote:

I think my browser took a dump the last time I tried to reply, as I see only your quoted post above.

Anyway, my issue with this is that it seems like I need to do duplicate work. I have the routers connected together through Ethernet port #4 on both, so the 160N is on the same subnet as the 400N. I use the wireless security on both, obviously, but my concern is that to enable a device on the 160N, I need to enter the MAC address there in addition to doing so on the 400N. It's as though the wireless security is tied to the physical radio in each router. Whereas, my other router settings on the 400N (such as the static DHCP addresses, filtering, UPnP settings, dynamic DHCP addresses all assigned from the same pool, etc.) all propagate to the 160N from the 400N. I do use a separate SSID for each router, so I know which one I'm connected to.

Or to make this shorter: do I really need to add the MAC addresses to both routers for wireless security? I'm thinking "yes" just due to wireless security being attached to each physical radio, rather than to the subnet.

I hope that made more sense...

I am also considering using an alternate method where a device will connect automatically to the stronger of two signals depending on where you're located in the house. In this case, you use the same SSID for both routers, and the signal then "hands off" from one to the other. Even here, though, I think I would have to add each device's MAC address to each router for the wireless security.
wbrinsf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 16:53    Post subject: Re: WRT400N Wireless LED behavior (r20675) Reply with quote
boarman wrote:
For Broadcom chipsets on similar linksys routers, the wireless LED indicator is ON when the Radio is enabled and OFF when the radio is disabled. It appears that as of r20675, the wireless LED indicator is tied to a function that is turning it off...perhaps based on LAN/WAN traffic activity? I can't be sure. If I perform a 'gpio disable 6', it will briefly activate the LED before some process automatically turns it off again. You can achieve a flashing effect with this LED by running a script to loop 'gpio disable 6' every 1 second. Does anyone know why wireless LED indicator is behaving this way? I know that there was a problem with the wireless LED indicator based on earlier comments in this thread. Perhaps this was the accepted solution to that problem? I would rather it behave like it does on the broadcom chipsets.

I'm also seeing this behavior on r22118 - but not on my Broadcom routers. I Just flashed a wrt400n (Atheros) and a wrt310n (Broadcom) from r18024 to r22118. The wireless LED on the 310n works as expected, but on the 400n it behaves just as described above. It comes on when booting or applying some settings, but otherwise it's off.
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The light on my 400N also stays off (build 21286). Not a big deal since the router is tucked away, out of sight. The light on my 160N works fine, but that router is now in a remote part of the house.

I guess I'd rather have no wireless light as opposed to an unstable router. Since it is working well, I'd hate to upset things by trying a newer firmware. Wink
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

I'm running a super old version of DD-WRT (14xxx) from years ago and I noticed recently that there is an additional FW available on the wrt400n entry in the router database (build 21061). I thought "great! I'll flash to that when I get a chance".

I then checked "other downloads" and noticed that there's wrt400n builds as recent as last week!

Which of these should I flash to? Do the one's listed in the router database go through additional vetting process? or is it just as unstable as the latest release in the "other downloads" link?

Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 2013 › 12-24-2013-r23204 › linksys_wrt400n

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 29
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: