Linksys WRT400N Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
For my particular 400N, build 21286 is having no problems, so I am not as motivated to update.

If you're having issues with your 400N then by all means you may want to update the firmware. I can vouch for 21286, and I certainly would hope the newer builds are as stable as this one. Apparently nobody has tried any newer builds than mine here. I don't know if changelogs are posted here on the site or elsewhere--it might help decide if it is worth it for me to update.

It is nice to see that it is still being updated!
Sponsor
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rudy64 wrote:
For my particular 400N, build 21286 is having no problems, so I am not as motivated to update.

If you're having issues with your 400N then by all means you may want to update the firmware. I can vouch for 21286, and I certainly would hope the newer builds are as stable as this one. Apparently nobody has tried any newer builds than mine here. I don't know if changelogs are posted here on the site or elsewhere--it might help decide if it is worth it for me to update.

It is nice to see that it is still being updated!

Where did you obtain your version of DD-WRT? was it from the same "other downloads" link? I just want to make sure this other downloads link is safe. It doesn't look like it's publicly accessible normally (if you go up the directories, you can't traverse back down)
Rudy64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm certain that is where I downloaded mine from, and it is safe. Smile Same developer too.
BreakfastShark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05    Post subject: Help with actual update process? Reply with quote
Hi,

I have been searching the internet trying to find a solution to my wifi connection problems, and I'd love to try updating the firmware on my WRT400n. I tried for build 21286 per this thread, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually do it--my computer downloads a binary file and then tells me it doesn't know how to open it. Could someone explain how I do this, please? Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't open it. You go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and upgrade your router with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 0:34    Post subject: Please some help Reply with quote
Looking for some help, my skills on network configuration are really basic but maybe I can find my answer here as it has been more than a month and I haven´t figured out what to do to make my WR400N work again.

I´ll tell you my story:
I was using DD-WRT build 21268 for 2 months on my WRT400N, I upgraded from Linksys original firmware after many years of resetting the router like twice a week; so finally I did my search and discovered that things could be better with this DD-WRT firmware. The best upgrade on my life I must say.

Anyway, everything was working fine; my router was connected to a coaxial modem from my internet provider, a very old one, maybe like 10 years old. But everything was working fine with both devices. Suddenly the coaxial modem began to fail, it didn’t got connected, lights were always blinking searching for connection, and whenever it got connected internet speed was not right. So I call my provider and they said it was the old modem that they must have changed many years ago. So they changed it for a Cisco DPC2320/epc2320 Docsis/eurodocsis 2.0 Wireless residential gateway as it’s called in the user manual.

When the technician changed the broken modem at my house I immediately connected it´s only LAN port (internet) to the internet LAN port of the WRT400N exactly as it was connected to the previous cable modem. It was supposed to work but it didn´t, I couldn’t reach internet connection trough WRT400N wireless or wired connection, but if I connected to the wireless network of the new Cisco device it was working normal. So I told the technician that maybe it was the previous WRT400N configuration that later I would do a reset to the router and he leaved the house.

Later that night when I came back home I did a reset to the WRT router hoping that everything should work as it was working with the old modem, but it didn’t, the same problem was there even though the router was on the ‘factory’ DD-WRT parameters, it just didn’t give access to internet connection. After this point my logic told me that it should be a configuration issue between both devices, because it was practically impossible that the device got broken the same day they replaced the older modem device, an almost impossible coincidence. So I took my old WRT45Gv3 old router with original Linksys firmware to see if maybe the new Cisco device LAN port was broken, I plugged it, and it worked as it should. So the problem was with my WRT400N definitely. I don’t know a lot about network configuration but I started messing around with DD-WRT options, DHCPs settings and that other stuff, but after checking and un-checking almost everything of the options I understood about the router wasn’t able to give me internet access. So I decide to bring the WRT400N to Linksys original firmware and to give it a try and guess what? With the original firmware I got internet access immediately after I connected it, just as it should. The problem was that Linksys original WRT400 firmware sucks and won´t get back to resetting the router 2 times a week (when I was lucky, maybe 3 or 4 most of the times).

So I decided to use my WRT45G (with its original firmware) for some days but I also had to reset it many times in the week. I searched and found a DD-WR firmware for it, did the upgrade but f!C@k!, the same exact problem.

From my little knowledge in these topics I would say that it should be that some of DD-WRT default settings or configurations are making some trouble with the new Cisco DPC2320 my internet provider gave me. Both (WRT54Gv3 and WRT400N) works with original firmware and default settings, but not with DD-WRT default settings. I already tried to match the original Linksys firmware checked boxes (DHCP, etc) to the DD-WRT settings but it just won’t work.

Maybe some of you guys that understand more of network configuration and knows better DD-WRT options (there are many option available on DD-WRT firmware that are not available on original Linksys firmware, maybe one of them is the problem) can help me check the correct boxes so that both routers work as they should.

I would really appreciate any help and I will post any information you think you need to help me correct this , thanks in advance, and sorry if my English is not very good. Embarassed
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure i can help with the long post above... I'd reset dd-wrt to factory defaults and start from there...

Anyways, just an update for you guys: I'm running build 23204 downloaded from the "other downloads" link.

I had to reset once but i think that was due to some DHCP IP conflicts (I expanded my range from 192.168.1.100-150 to 100-255 so my devices are slowly getting new IP's.

Everything seems to be working well. better than the 21xxx version that's listed on the router database page. I couldn't even get SSH working on that build.
BreakfastShark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You don't open it. You go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser and upgrade your router with it.

I'm with you on 192.168.1.1, but when I try to use it to upgrade, it tells me "incorrect file path." Are there steps I'm not taking? Can I get a quick step-by-step explanation of what I need to do?
Thanks!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
BreakfastShark wrote:
Malachi wrote:

I'm with you on 192.168.1.1, but when I try to use it to upgrade, it tells me "incorrect file path." Are there steps I'm not taking? Can I get a quick step-by-step explanation of what I need to do?
Thanks!

Read this. http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT400N

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Read this. http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT400N

Perfect, thanks!
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
Not sure i can help with the long post above... I'd reset dd-wrt to factory defaults and start from there...

Anyways, just an update for you guys: I'm running build 23204 downloaded from the "other downloads" link.

I had to reset once but i think that was due to some DHCP IP conflicts (I expanded my range from 192.168.1.100-150 to 100-255 so my devices are slowly getting new IP's.

Everything seems to be working well. better than the 21xxx version that's listed on the router database page. I couldn't even get SSH working on that build.

Just an update... the 23204 build has it's fair share of bugs... The custom commands/scripts don't run, DNSmasq is broken (have to use uDHCPd),

Thinking of switching back to 14xxx build...
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:

Just an update... the 23204 build has it's fair share of bugs... The custom commands/scripts don't run, DNSmasq is broken (have to use uDHCPd),

I upgraded to 23320. I realized the custom commands were running, I just didn't notice because of the change in behaviour since 14xxx days. DNSmasq seems to be working again with this build. Wifi stability is suspect. I've had to reboot every 12 hours. Not sure if it's because I'm using TKIP+AES. I'm going to try switching to WPA2 personal + AES only and see if that helps.
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
mr_yellow wrote:

I upgraded to 23320. I realized the custom commands were running, I just didn't notice because of the change in behaviour since 14xxx days. DNSmasq seems to be working again with this build. Wifi stability is suspect. I've had to reboot every 12 hours. Not sure if it's because I'm using TKIP+AES. I'm going to try switching to WPA2 personal + AES only and see if that helps.

Still on build 23320 on my wrt400n. I switched over to WPA2+AES and everything's been pretty stable so far. haven't had to reboot in a few days. Looking good! I even have a few custom scripts running to control my IP cameras and they're all working as expected.
Growlor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Any missing features in the WRT400N support? Reply with quote
Does the current firmware miss any major features of the stock firmware? Last time I looked into doing a DD-WRT upgrade, I don't think they had both radios working properly, so was wondering if that was fixed and if so, are there still any big features not working or not stable?
Growlor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:22    Post subject: So far going well. Reply with quote
I got tired of constant issues I have been having with my WRT400n lately and decided to try my first dd-WRT install. So far it is going very well (no issues with either radio.)

I did run into a few quirks that I will list out here in hopes it helps someone else.
1) After installing the initial linksys-to-ddwrt-firmware, I was unable to do any upgrades. My PC is running SUSE Linux and I was using Firefox as my browser. After trying several reboots, etc I resolved this by switching to a different browser (Opera worked well.)
2) The first thing I did after changing the ID/PW and updating the firmware was to disable the radios while I configured (disabled) the external administration features and other hardening things I could think of. When I re-enabled the radios and then configured the security settings on the radios, I found the radios were still disabled after a reboot. I suspect you have to save before moving to a different tab in the config GUI? Not a big deal, but just be aware its a little bit finiky here.
3) It looks like the settings will allow you to configure WPA2 using TKIP and AES-TKIP in addition to AES only. I thought that WPA2 mandates the use of AES only? In any case, you are MUCH better off avoiding TKIP if at all possible (when I last checked a few years back, TKIP security was not COMPLETELY broken, but it had recently been weakend a couple of times and seemed to be a good idea to avoid it.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 28 of 29
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: