rate limiting with WAP only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
meeotch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09    Post subject: rate limiting with WAP only Reply with quote
I've been attempting to rate-limit by MAC address, and having no luck with scripts. I'm wondering if perhaps it's because I've got my wireless router set up as a WAP. (The wireless router is connected via LAN port to a wired router that handles WAN, DHCP, etc. Wireless router WAN port is disconnected & my connection type set to "disabled".)

As a test, I telnet'ed in, and tried this:

Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -m mac --mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -p tcp -j DROP

(MAC address deleted from the above, obviously.) But the computer with that MAC was still able to reach the internet. So I listed the FORWARD chain:

Code:
iptables -L FORWARD -v

and all the packet and byte counts were 0.

I take this to mean that there's no actual routing going on. Is there a way to keep this config (wired router handles WAN, NAT, etc.), but still get iptables control of wireless clients through dd-wrt?

I've tried both in "gateway" and "OSPF router" mode. Doesn't seem to make a difference - both modes allow wireless clients access to the network, but can't block or rate limit.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
WAP's bridge/switch, they do not route. Routing requires going from one subnet to another, but all it's doing is extending the main router's subnet.

Set the QoS interface to LAN&WLAN, only enter the uplink value which will actually affect both directions with this method, and add insmod ebtables to your firewall script.

meeotch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I took a look at the QoS page & help. Am I understanding correctly that this method will only *prioritize* one MAC over another - rather than applying a hard rate limit? The latter is what I'm attempting.

If that's the case, should I be investigating how to set up the WAP as a router on its own subnet instead? (I'm a bit new to serious networking stuff, but eager to learn, I suppose.)

Some googling produced this article: http://blogs.walkerart.org/newmedia/2009/06/22/build-a-bridging-firewall-cheap/ which suggests that it's possible to set up as a bridge, but use

Code:
insmod ebtables
insmod ebtable_filter
insmod ebt_ip.o

to get iptables functionality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: