Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
got_milk
DD-WRT User


Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
Note: this is for Windows 7 64-bit users only, who have Intel WiFi N cards in their laptops. If you experience any of these issues noted below while using a 32-bit system, try the workaround noted. If it helps, post here and let me know.

I have identified an issue with the Intel WiFi Link 5000-series cards (5100 and 5300), and possibly the 4965AGN card under Windows 7 64-bit.

ddggttff3 has noted his Intel WiFi Link 1000 has suffered from the same symptoms, therefore this may apply to the Intel WiFi 1000 and 6000 series (6100 & 6300) as well.

I'm unsure whether this may affect the 5150/5350/6150/6350 WiMAX cards, as they use a different driver (I don't think they're popular cards anyway).

Symptoms
    * During transfers or while idle, you may be disconnected from your access point.
    * During transfers or while idle, you may experience extremely low download speeds.
    * During transfers or while idle, you may experience websites loading very slowly.
    * During transfers or while idle, you may experience high latency and ping timeouts to servers or your DD-WRT gateway. (Not DD-WRT specific)


Description

A problem is present in the driver which causes the symptoms noted above to occur, in Windows 7 64-bit only. Upon contacting Intel with the information gathered, they denied any issues with the drivers and claimed they are unable to talk to me due to the fact that I violated FCC regulations.

Workaround

Open Device Manager (located in the Control Panel). Expand the Network Adapters tree and right click on your Intel WiFi adapter. Disable. Right click again and enable. Reconnect to your access point (if Windows 7 does not automatically reconnect).

Resolution

Intel has released driver 13.1.1.1 for all affected Intel WiFi based cards. I can confirm that this driver has resolved all issues with my WiFi Link 5300.

Here is a direct download link to new drivers. Under "Select a Family", choose Wireless Networking. Then, under, "Select a Line", choose Intel WiFi Products. Then, under "Select a Product", choose the current WiFi card you have. You'll be prompted to choose to either get support or download drivers, click on Download Drivers. When you get there, you'll be asked to select your operating system. Choose Windows 7 (doesn't matter what flavor, the drivers are the same) and either 32 or 64-bit. Then choose "Drivers". If you scroll down you'll be given an option of different drivers to download.

If you want the drivers only, choose: Intel® PRO/​Wireless and WiFi Link Drivers-​Only for Windows 7 64-bit*
If you want the drivers and the extra utilities (which are pretty much worthless) OR you want the Intel My WiFi Technology (make your computer an access point while retaining your wireless internet connection), choose: Intel® PROSet/​Wireless WiFi Connection Utility for Windows 7 64-​Bit*

Don't know what card you have? Open the Device Manager in the Control Panel, and expand the Network Adapters tree. There, you'll see something like "Intel WiFi Link ****", "Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965", or "Intel Centrino...". This will be your adapter model.

If you experience any of these issues with your DD-WRT based router, don't be quick to blame the router/DD-WRT. Try the workaround and driver update, it may resolve your issues entirely. This is a driver issue, switching DD-WRT builds will not solve the problem.

_________________
Peacock Thread | Wireless Drops/Slow? Got an Intel Card? Read this! | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6


Last edited by got_milk on Thu Mar 25, 2010 0:17; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 10143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
got_milk wrote:
Description

A problem is present in the driver which causes the symptoms noted above to occur, in Windows 7 64-bit only. Upon contacting Intel with the information gathered, they denied any issues with the drivers and claimed they are unable to talk to me due to the fact that I violated FCC regulations.

I'm curious, what information did you gather and do you know what you did to violate FCC regulations (even though you're not regulated by them Laughing)?

I know there's been a few cases of people having these problems so it's good that you discovered this.

_________________
Read the forum announcements thoroughly! Be cautious if you're inexperienced.
Available for paid consulting. (Don't PM about complicated setups otherwise)
Looking for bricks and spare routers to expand my collection. (not interested in G spec models)
Phonism
DD-WRT User


Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 448

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads-up on the driver update. I've been running the previous version, but can't really say I've noticed the issues described.

But if someone have, it's good info. Thanks =)

_________________

Asus RT-AC66U DD-WRT v24-sp2 giga - build 25015 [Main]
Linksys E3000 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega - build 15962 [Backup]
Linksys WRT600N v1.1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929 [Retired]
Linksys WRT54GS v4 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini - build 15747 [Retired]
E3000 Info | WRT600N Info | Know-it-all thread
got_milk
DD-WRT User


Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 21:43    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
got_milk wrote:
Description

A problem is present in the driver which causes the symptoms noted above to occur, in Windows 7 64-bit only. Upon contacting Intel with the information gathered, they denied any issues with the drivers and claimed they are unable to talk to me due to the fact that I violated FCC regulations.

I'm curious, what information did you gather and do you know what you did to violate FCC regulations (even though you're not regulated by them Laughing)?

I know there's been a few cases of people having these problems so it's good that you discovered this.


Just some test results I did (when it was most likely to occur, what was happening when it occurred, etc.

They claim that by installing my own wireless card (as approved by the laptop manufacturer) I violated FCC regulations. Funny enough, I don't live in the States (where FCC regulations are enforced) and it's not prohibited in Canada (as far as I know).

I think they knew already as they were very quick to deny any sort of problems with the driver and even went on to say it was perfect.

_________________
Peacock Thread | Wireless Drops/Slow? Got an Intel Card? Read this! | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 10143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 22:05    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
got_milk wrote:
They claim that by installing my own wireless card (as approved by the laptop manufacturer) I violated FCC regulations. Funny enough, I don't live in the States (where FCC regulations are enforced) and it's not prohibited in Canada (as far as I know).

Rolling Eyes Laughing Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.

_________________
Read the forum announcements thoroughly! Be cautious if you're inexperienced.
Available for paid consulting. (Don't PM about complicated setups otherwise)
Looking for bricks and spare routers to expand my collection. (not interested in G spec models)
ddggttff3
DD-WRT User


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 107
Location: MinneSOTA!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a TON for this tip! I have both the wifi 1000, and 5100 in the same laptop, and both lagged out on me aLOT, seems the driver fixed my issues! Very Happy
_________________
My Hardware:
1x WNDR3300 - 14853 NEWD C/AP Mini-HotSpot-Kaid
1x WRT54G2 - 13577 NEWD RB Micro
1x WRT310N - TomatoUSB Dev Test Build 9-22-10
1x RT-N16 - TomatoUSB SVN Build 9-13-10
got_milk
DD-WRT User


Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddggttff3 wrote:
Thanks a TON for this tip! I have both the wifi 1000, and 5100 in the same laptop, and both lagged out on me aLOT, seems the driver fixed my issues! Very Happy


Good to hear. I posted the same thing on the Intel Communities forum and it was quickly removed by a moderator & I got banned.

EDIT: This happens with the 1000 as well? Interesting...this may affect the 6100 and 6300 series as well (1000, 6100 and 6300 are very similar I believe). I've edited the original post to reflect your findings, thanks for this info.

Thanks for the sticky as well, hopefully this will help a lot of people out!

phuzi0n wrote:
Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.


That's what I said to Intel. I asked him for the exact spot where it says it's prohibited (he couldn't provide it), and he refused to supply any qualifications (besides "I am certified to support all Intel Wireless products").

_________________
Peacock Thread | Wireless Drops/Slow? Got an Intel Card? Read this! | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 2025
Location: Sol System > Earth > USA > Arkansas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
got_milk wrote:
ddggttff3 wrote:
Thanks a TON for this tip! I have both the wifi 1000, and 5100 in the same laptop, and both lagged out on me aLOT, seems the driver fixed my issues! Very Happy


Good to hear. I posted the same thing on the Intel Communities forum and it was quickly removed by a moderator & I got banned.

EDIT: This happens with the 1000 as well? Interesting...this may affect the 6100 and 6300 series as well (1000, 6100 and 6300 are very similar I believe). I've edited the original post to reflect your findings, thanks for this info.

Thanks for the sticky as well, hopefully this will help a lot of people out!

phuzi0n wrote:
Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.


That's what I said to Intel. I asked him for the exact spot where it says it's prohibited (he couldn't provide it), and he refused to supply any qualifications (besides "I am certified to support all Intel Wireless products").

While I have nothing *directly* to contribute to the reported problem, I do believe you should report the company to the appropriate authorities. They are clearly lying and it would appear they are trying to cover up their sorry programming. Besides, saying you "violated" some rules with out sufficient justification is just poppycock. They know they cannot prove it, therefore they were trying to deflect the truth.

_________________
E3000 22200M KongVPN K26
WRT600n v1.1 refirb mega 18767 BS K24 NEWD2 [not used]
WRT54G v2 16214 BS K24 [access point]

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
got_milk
DD-WRT User


Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
got_milk wrote:
ddggttff3 wrote:
Thanks a TON for this tip! I have both the wifi 1000, and 5100 in the same laptop, and both lagged out on me aLOT, seems the driver fixed my issues! Very Happy


Good to hear. I posted the same thing on the Intel Communities forum and it was quickly removed by a moderator & I got banned.

EDIT: This happens with the 1000 as well? Interesting...this may affect the 6100 and 6300 series as well (1000, 6100 and 6300 are very similar I believe). I've edited the original post to reflect your findings, thanks for this info.

Thanks for the sticky as well, hopefully this will help a lot of people out!

phuzi0n wrote:
Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.


That's what I said to Intel. I asked him for the exact spot where it says it's prohibited (he couldn't provide it), and he refused to supply any qualifications (besides "I am certified to support all Intel Wireless products").

While I have nothing *directly* to contribute to the reported problem, I do believe you should report the company to the appropriate authorities. They are clearly lying and it would appear they are trying to cover up their sorry programming. Besides, saying you "violated" some rules with out sufficient justification is just poppycock. They know they cannot prove it, therefore they were trying to deflect the truth.


I doubt it would actually go anywhere. Intel is a massive company who have high powered lawyers on the payroll who are paid to deflect complaints such as these. What are the authorities going to do? Give them a slap on the wrist? Fine them? Ooooh, a fine. We'll have to pay using our billions of dollars in the bank. Oh no! We'll be broke after this fine! /sarcasm Unfortunately in today's world the best action you can take against a company is to vote with your wallet - don't buy their products anymore.

_________________
Peacock Thread | Wireless Drops/Slow? Got an Intel Card? Read this! | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 10939
Location: Wherever the wind blows- North America

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not the exact same issue...but I feel your pain...I went through this about 2 years ago with the Intel ProSET wireless problem.

Intel refused to acknowledge a problem...but it is a problem. (still is a problem) I disabled the Intel ProSET services on my laptop and all issues with disconnections went away.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=254798


redhawk

_________________
I currently test dd-wrt on Asus, Buffalo, Linksys, and Netgear. Too many to list.

Looking for more test units (newer models) for the project...got a brick?...PM me to make a hardware donation. (USA) A donation is not a debricking service....it is a way to "Give back" to the dd-wrt project.

I do NOT provide personal assistance through chat or phone....so please don't ask.
babovand
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got Intel Wifi Link 5100 and its the best wificard i have ever seen/owned, the speed i got, around 4MB/s or 32Mbits with Linksys WRT54GL, the range, and the signal is incredible. So i cant really say that I've got any of these problems.

The drivers I'm using is 13.0.0.107, going to update them right after this post to the newest, Thanks for the link.

And of course DD-WRT on the WRT54GL and using Windows 7 64-bit or ubuntu, same results. Mostly use windows.

Have never got disconnected from a network.
RyanVM
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting, I've definitely had this problem with the 1000. I worked around it by manually setting the channel and width on the router. Things have been much better since. Gonna try the new driver and see if I can kill that workaround.

EDIT: Hmm, still having problems connecting over 65Mbps unless I set the channel and channel width manually.
PetervdM
DD-WRT User


Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 282
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 16:48    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.


... as long as you fix the ( supplied ? ) sticker to the outside of the laptop, stating the type and fcc approval number of the now hidden card.

_________________
now running tomato by shibby
E4200v1 cfe 2010.09.20.0
got_milk
DD-WRT User


Joined: 05 Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
PetervdM wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:
Installing a WIFI card definitely isn't prohibited by the FCC.


... as long as you fix the ( supplied ? ) sticker to the outside of the laptop, stating the type and fcc approval number of the now hidden card.


The supplied sticker is actually on the card itself, there's nothing to stick onto the laptop.

_________________
Peacock Thread | Wireless Drops/Slow? Got an Intel Card? Read this! | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Posts: 10143

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 22:28    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read! Reply with quote
PetervdM wrote:
... as long as you fix the ( supplied ? ) sticker to the outside of the laptop, stating the type and fcc approval number of the now hidden card.

Please point us to where the FCC would try to impose an absurd rule upon consumers that will neither know nor care about such a rule. Manufacturers need to include the info, but after it's in consumers hands they'll do with it as they please as long as they don't change the radio output in a way that will violate regulations about interference.

_________________
Read the forum announcements thoroughly! Be cautious if you're inexperienced.
Available for paid consulting. (Don't PM about complicated setups otherwise)
Looking for bricks and spare routers to expand my collection. (not interested in G spec models)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum