Windows 7 x64 and Intel WiFi Cards: Please Read!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was definately showing all the symptoms in the first post with my 4965AGN on Windows 7 64 bit, however, i only experienced this with the DD WRT firmware (any build). Netgear original firmware and other friends routers have never had any problems.

The new driver from intel definately cured the lag and seemed to fix the random disconnects from the router to begin with, however after leaving it overnight with a download going i was disconnected again... well not really disconnected, the laptop says connected with no internet access but accessing my router from my other laptop shows that DD WRT doesnt have the intel laptop as a client so therefore has "forgotten" that it should be assigned an IP adress.

Switching off and on wireless sorts it out for a few minutes but once im idling again its back to the yellow triangle in the corner stating connected but no internet access (or sometimes "no network access").

My broadcom and atheros cards never have this problem. Im just thinking that intel cards and drivers are s*&t and i should get another card.

My DD WRT router is a WNR834Bv1 with EKO 12548 mini build. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if its important to give my input but I have a laptop with 4965AGN as well, but running Vista x64, Intel drivers version 12.4.4.5. I have WRT54G-TM router running DD-WRT BrainSlayer build 12874 and I don't have any disconnections or other problems. I had WRT54GL before running a few builds including 12548 and again, no problems.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
I don't know if its important to give my input but I have a laptop with 4965AGN as well, but running Vista x64, Intel drivers version 12.4.4.5. I have WRT54G-TM router running DD-WRT BrainSlayer build 12874 and I don't have any disconnections or other problems. I had WRT54GL before running a few builds including 12548 and again, no problems.

Input is always welcome! Always good to hear what's not affected as opposed to what is.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
Cabarnacus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I should maybe add an update to my last post, Although i had an initial teething problem what with the new driver making no difference, I would like to retract that and say that the new driver has massively increased stability and speed of my connections.

I also increased my client lease time on the dhcp settings to 99999 minutes, that way my router is less likely to evict me from my local ip address while im mid-download.

Don't know if its the new driver or the least time change but everything is running smoothly now with no random disconnects.
n3verm0re
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello there! I was recently directed to this thread in response to a question about my Linksys WRT160N router and Intel 5300 WiFi card.

I described my experiences over at the Cisco forums, but didn't receive any helpful information.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Quote:
Hello,

A few months ago I upgraded our router to the WRT160N. I do not have regular access to a wired connection, so I was really looking forward to using the full capabilities of my Intel 5300 WiFi card. To that effect, I did the following:

- Updated the router firmware to the latest available (3.0.02 Build 4)
- Changed the Radio Band to Auto instead of 20 Hz
- This changed the Channel to Auto with no other options.
- In case this is relevant, I'm using AES encryption.

What I noticed is that my wireless connection starts out fine (listed as an Excellent signal at 270 Mbps) and then within a very short period, the connection speed decreases until finally the connection drops and automatically begins to reconnect. I tried this running 2 feet from the router, with or without encryption enabled.

After seeing dozens of similar complaints about the Intel 5300 card on a variety of laptops, I decided to call my vendor (Dell) and consult with their customer service. The representative changed the Radio Band back to 20 Hz and used Channel 9, which is all fine and good since my connection now works more reliably... BUT obviously I'm not seeing the full benefits of wireless-N (getting a maximum of 130-144 Mbps).

I was annoyed by this a bit, but overall content with getting a more reliable connection that was still better than my WRT-54G. So I moved on... until today I noticed that there is a new driver out for Intel wireless cards.

The release notes are here: Release Notes

This is the interesting part:

Linksys* Access Point Association Timeout

After the association flow completes, the adapter stays awake (as in CAM mode) for 10 seconds, and then acts according to the PowerIndex (PI) regkey. PI should not be change during this period. The association timeout is 10 seconds. Using the Linksys access point, association occurs every 60 seconds, resulting in deauthentication and disconnection from the Linksys access point.

This sounds like precisely what I was experiencing. Now my question is, who is to blame here? Is this a matter of waiting on Intel to release a driver with a fix or is this a poor implementation on behalf of Linksys?

I've upgraded my Intel 5300 driver to the 13.1.1.1, but haven't changed any settings on my router since I've been happier with a stable connection, albeit slower than what its capable of. I'm wondering whether this thread is referring to the same issue.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know the Linksys* Access Point Association Timeout is only employed in the Linksys firmwares - I was having this issue even with the DD-WRT firmware.

I've also seen this issue occur on a D-Link manufactured router as well, so I doubt it's because of this technology.

(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to see this issue being worked out, its been around quite a while....I guess Intel doesn't know how to google.

*edited out*
I was off topic so I edited out my comment.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed

Last edited by autobot on Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:51; edited 2 times in total
la7dfa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree on your comments autobot. Personally I have given up on getting some hardware working well with Win7x64 and just bought new hardware. Partially due to complete lack of 64 bit drivers.
Still struggling with unstable Attansic L1 LAN on mobo, and have ordered a separate network card to use instead.

Have upgraded bios and tried various drivers, but still erratic.

I love Win7, but not the flaws.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread is not for bashing Windows 7 x64 or promoting any other OS. You people may have a bad experience with Win7, just don't push it onto the rest of us. I have been using it since it came out with no problems whatsoever. Take the Windows 7 bashing to a different thread if you wish to continue.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@crashfly
Fair enough, you do the same about your thoughts.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
SilentTweak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd like to state, that I have this problem still even after updating. Also, another machine that's running Windows XP and a TP-Link N Adapter, also disconnects when idle.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh my GOD, I experienced this same problem since last year. Actually, I've already posted a lot of information here in dd-wrt forums and PM'ing different people about this problem and I thought I had a busted WiFi card since no one confirms that they're experiencing the same problem until now :)

I've always had a strong feeling about the wrong drivers produced by Intel. I'm glad this is all sorted out now.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
Oh my GOD, I experienced this same problem since last year. Actually, I've already posted a lot of information here in dd-wrt forums and PM'ing different people about this problem and I thought I had a busted WiFi card since no one confirms that they're experiencing the same problem until now :)

I've always had a strong feeling about the wrong drivers produced by Intel. I'm glad this is all sorted out now.

Thanks for the support, haha. I found a bunch of forum posts on different forums with people complaining about similar problems and it was always narrowed down to a broken card. Actually, I believed it was a broken card too until I put it in my Windows XP-based netbook and had it work perfectly.

Blades
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know if this has been posted (i don't think it has) or if Intel will allow a direct link download.. But here is the direct link.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18748/eng/ICS_Ds64.zip

Saves you the time of navigating thru the longest chain of "I agree" pages I've seen in a while.
g3ck0l0c0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad
Still doesn't works on my side.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with an Intel 4965AGN. Had the old version so I installed the new one and it did work a couple of hours. Then, it began to crash as usual.
My network is connected but I can't access Internet or the router (wrt610N).
I'm wondering if a specific configuration of the 5Ghz could help it to be more stable ?
I can reproduce the issue as I want, just have to create some heavy traffic on the wlan and it falls apart. A disable/enable of the intel card resolves the issue until a new network peak.

Anyway, thx for the info.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: