help needed copying Linksys Router Firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
staticbot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 19:06    Post subject: help needed copying Linksys Router Firmware Reply with quote
As I mentioned previously I have 3 Linksys Routers,1 is a WRT54G 1.1 2nd WRT54GS 1.1 the 3rd is WRT54GS 5..1.Third one given to me by an American Lady Enuff said. All classics I know but pennies to buy.How do I go about copying the firmware & uploading it to your site thanX[/list][/list]
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
your options are a bit limited because there is no external storage available on the router.

The simplest is to use jtag and backup the kernel.

The other option is to use serial and while at the cfe prompt in the serial terminal, use the cfe's save command to send the data to a pc running a tftp server.

If running dd-wrt, which you indicate you do not want to do until you have the oem firmware saved, there may be a way to use telnet to send the data to /tmp, then use winscp to copy it to a pc.

for now, your best bet is jtag. To purchase a cable is only a few bucks and even less than that to build one. However, you will need a pc with a real printer port.

I would be interested in knowing what the stock gui states as the firmware loaded.

linksys over time, consolidated most firmware (not all), to run on diff routers. For instance, V4 firmware also ran on a V2 & a V3. Until they (linksys) removed the firmware downloads for legacy devices, the same firmware based on name and size, was the download for many of the diff routers.

EDIT: The V5, does not run linux and does not use a broadcom cfe. It uses a propritary vxworks bsp. I do not know what commands are built into the bsp. Jtag would be your solution.

Installing dd-wrt on a V5 s a process in which the bsp gets replaced by a cfe. To revert back to stock, there is a revert process, but if you had wholeflash backed up with jtag, you just flash it back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 20:45    Post subject: THANx for the speedy & detailed reply Reply with quote
Its a lot to take to take in. I looked at various JTAG connectors before .I certainly dont have a printer port.Also Iam using PCLinuxOS as an OS .I know there is not any.open jtag support in the repos.Dont over-estimate my pc skillz just because Iam using PCLinuxOS many thanx barryware DUDE OF THE DAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: