Security Firewall SPI will not "take".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mark_in_Hollywood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 17:00    Post subject: Security Firewall SPI will not "take". Reply with quote
I have a Linksys: wrt-160Nv3 CSE31
I use: Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) mini - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

This device was flashed with dd-wrt firmware about a week ago. I have seen no evidence that the flashing was bad.

I (believe) I am configging for a Client Bridge. I have read Peacock. It makes no mention of 13575M, so, I have no reference point to any of that for the build I have installed.

From the dd-wrt wiki for Client Bridged, I have set, reset and reset and set again (i.e., the 30-30-30). I first tried in Windows but have gone back to my Linux/Ubuntu for seeing the dd-wrt web interface. (we really do need better nomenclature here for what the user sees upon calling: 192.168.1.1).

All below is from Linux/Ubuntu (pardon the / please).

My purpose in this is to be able to wirelessly connect to the host (2Wire 2701HG-B modem, wireless and router). The client (my wrt-160Nv3) should be able to connect via ethernet cable to a magicJack+, but wirelessly to the host. I don't need much bandwidth for the magicJack+ (specs at 128KB/sec.) My AT&T DSL has 5 meg d/l and .5 meg u/l speeds.

I saw a post about using mode: N-only or G-only and NOT mixed. I tried that. In Chrome The SPI firewall cannot be disabled from any of those selections: Mixed, N-only, or G-only. In Firefox, the SPI shows as disabled. Again, the little -dot- that selects SPI -disabled- won't stay when Apply/Save is updated, but shows as disabled in Firefox!

Lastly, I am using the OpenDNS dns router numbers on the host modem, but, and I repeat but, if dd-wrt cannot be used with that, I'm happy to change to Google's dns #s or whatever people user here.

Details:

Local IP address is: 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask is: 255.255.255.0
Gateway is: 192.168.1.254
Currently: Wireless is: Client Bridge
Wireless Network Name: -matches host (2Wire) name-
Security is: WEP (and key matches host)
Advanced Routing Operating Mode is: Router
MAC address: 00:23:69:98:E1:01
DHCP Server Status: Disabled
WAN MAC address: a00:23:69:98:E1:03
WAN Connection Type STP is disabled
CPU Model is: Broadcom BCM4716 chip rev 1
WAN is disabled
Sponsor
Mark_in_Hollywood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I apologize if I have been unclear. The flashing of the DD-WRT went perfectly. I'm unable to understand how to set the dd-wrt soft/firmware to make this linksys wrt-160N router work as a wireless bridge.

The webgui says the router name is: dd-wrt, but I don't see it in the Ubuntu wifi drop down list. All the other ones in the apartment complex are there, including my host router: 2Wire000.

If I do as you ask, a 30-30-30, I will lose the settings that did work, such as WEP and the key, the mode as G-only, etc. I can do this, if you think it will help, but it's not really on point with my question, eh? - Happy 4th Mr. Ohio.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe you want repeater bridge mode. Follow that wiki:

Configure wireless basic, save, configure wireless security, save configure basic settings, save. Check each page and make sure the settings stuck. Then hit save, then apply.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Mark_in_Hollywood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Mr. Murrfk

The dd-wrt wiki Repeater Bridge (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers)

has allowed me to make a wireless? But it doesn't connect to the 'net I guess, because there is no response (in Chrome or Firefox, to the URL: www.yahoo.com). A wireless device dd-wrt does show up in Ubuntu's wireless connection devices list. Strangely, it has no "lock" icon, but the WEP pw was set to match the host (2Wire) modem-router. The computer's wired connection (firmware created name: Cisco) has automatiic DHCP under ip4v. I have rebooted the 160Nv3 Linksys slave or client bridge. All else is as per wiki: wireless mode is repeater bridge, mixed b/g, pw is the same, client name is same as host name: (2WIRE000). All is as per the wiki, with the exception of the Virtual Interfaces Section (under #6.), there is no access to AP Isolation. Also, to get to this point I had to APPLY and SAVE, APPLY alone would not put settings into the device. I need some help, as I'm not able to continue without some help. Sorry to have to ask. Another wiki or how-to somewhere?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem might be in your computer configuration. Auto IP and auto DNS? Gateway set in bridge router? Browser cache issue (as explained in peacock)
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Mark_in_Hollywood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
After trying to follow the Repeater Bridge wiki instructions, I have come across a problem that I have not previously encountered.

All the settings seemed to take except for the one where the Local IP address is changed from the default dd-wrt 192.168.1.1 to another. This is then to be "hit" "Apply". That does not work here. I must use Save/Apply then I can open another browser tab and open the dd-wrt gui as: 192.168.1.6.

What does it mean, that after resetting the local IP address as: 192.168.1.6 that my browser (both Chrome & FF) cannot re-connect back to the dd-wrt gui? The wireless drop down menu shows "dd-wrt" but it is unsecured and cannot get to the host router.

The computer was re-set to using auto DHCP.

The .6 was chosen per the dd-wrt Repeater Bridge wiki. Although it said .2, I am using .6 (easier to type). I also changed the upper case DD-WRT to lower case dd-wrt in the Setup/Basic Setup page. I'm confused why it shows as upper case in the webgui and lower case in the available wireless devices dropdown menu. Is that important?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: