HOWTO: Client Bridged Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've checked out Thibor's latest HyperWRT release.
WET mode rewrites MAC addresses looking downstream over the bridge.
devices---bridge<<--AP---devices

It does not rewrite MAC addresses looking upstream over the bridge.
devices---bridge-->>AP---devices

The top command line shows upstream arp -a from 192.168.1.11
The lower command line shows downstream arp -a from 192.168.1.1
(I blurred out my isp's gateway. You didn't really want to see that.)
192.168.1.10 is the HyperWRT unit in WET mode.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client bridge in WRT is an AP-Client configuration based in the ieee 802.11b standar. Not is a Full transparent bridge.
The problem is the name.
All Ap-Client 802.11b or g configuration standar have this behavior.
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, is this the end of the road or will there be an effort to request a true transparent bridge?

I don't know what it takes to implement such a thing, so I can't say whether it's realistic or not.

It appears that such a bridge would be another first by DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darkblue wrote:
Client bridge in WRT is an AP-Client configuration based in the ieee 802.11b standar. Not is a Full transparent bridge.
The problem is the name.
All Ap-Client 802.11b or g configuration standar have this behavior.

Not Correct

I use Cisco 1300 clients "non-root" bridges where I need a bridge that passes all MAC addresses.

Also - WDS configured radios as clients pass the MAC address. This would be great if we could have something like WDS for a bridge that just does not act like a repeater.

So - that is two ways to pass MACs through a bridge.
The Cisco 1300 is pretty high end stuff ($$$)
The WDS method works but you end up with a repeater and clutter up the air freqs.

What we are looking for is a way to have a customer client bridge mode in DD-WRT that is not acting as a repeater and/or re-writing MAC addresses.

If Cisco does it on all of their 802.11b and 802.11g radios, and DD-WRT WDS mode almost works - then there just has to be a method to disable MAC re-writing and get what is wanted in this discussion - a transparent client bridge that actualy passes MAC addresses.

jpark
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a belkin with the mini v23 build in client bridge mode. I seem to get better results when I set the belkin to a different subnet from the main router (before setting client bridge mode, of course). That is, my main router is on the 192.168.1.x subnet, the belkin is on the 192.168.2.x subnet.

When the belkin was on the same subnet as the main router, I was getting resolution issues.
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, should this conversation be carried on as a feature request for v24?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
So if it acts as a repeater it repeats the signal out of the second antenna or through the same antenna? Or do I have the wrong idea because you can just disconnect the second antenna.
wonoscho
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trevor wrote:
So if it acts as a repeater it repeats the signal out of the second antenna or through the same antenna? Or do I have the wrong idea because you can just disconnect the second antenna.

You can set your dd-wrt Router using one antenna for receiving and the other antenna for receiving, independent from using the router as wlan repeater.

See -> “Wireless” -> “Advanced Settings” in the Web GUI.

But
the routers we are talking about have only one WLAN circuit build in.
So the router can operate only at one WLAN channel at the same time.
and the router can not receive and send at the same time.

This is why the speed of wlan connections is cut in half when a router is used as a wlan bridge.

Wolfgang
mvincm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all.

I have bridge on two WAP 11 v2.6. It is true transparent ehernet bridge. All orginal MAC are visible on second side of bridge.

So WRT in all his power should do this without problem. Remember that WAP 11 ans firmware are from 2003 year.

Best regards,
MvincM
pcsmith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
so is setting the Client Bridged mode the same as doing these commands through telnet?

# wl ap 0 <-- this turns off the AP Mode
# wl wet 1 <-- this turns wireless bridge on (aka WET54 )
# wl join <SSID> <network key>

I have a couple of these running with multiple devices behind them, and although its a simple network, I haven't had issues.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:57    Post subject: MAJOR PROBLEM ION CLIENT BRIDGED MODE HLP!!! Reply with quote
Hey guys here is the problem I am having, there are several free wireless lans in my areas and with my wireless lan card I am getting them on a single pc, but that did not make me happy as I used to have a wired router and wanted to have my wired network to have internet as well.

SO I got the GS v4 model of the linksys and here is what I did after I changed the username and pass of course.

I set it to do a site survey and then it found four networks one was called the name of a poular router and I clicked jpin on that one. it said it joined. Then wanted me to set client or client bridged mode , I have tried both and get the same problem with both.

I can connect to the internet (thats how I'm on here) and after some time I cannot connect, untill I do a repair on my 10/100 ethernet port , here is the weird thing when I can go online I cannot log into the control panel of DD-WRT 23 sp1 full version , but as soon as I am not able to connect to the net I can login to DD-wrt just fine but CANNOT go online. THis happens the same with firewall off/on/uninstalled etc etc.

ANY IDEAS??? please help, I would like to be connected to the web at all times and still be able to login to wrt control panel.

chances are before I can send this message I'll have to press repair on my lan adapter icon. I'm uising windows xp sp1, on a intel mobo with P4, 2.5 ghz

I love satellite television and radio without ads if you do too and want to receive Dishnetwork channels without paying for them or Bell ExpressVu channels then go to http://www.templarworld.com these tiny units go for less than 3 bills US
Krasny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

I have two linksys routers, one a WAG54GS for my adsl connection, and a WRT54GSv.4 with dd-wrt v.23 SP1. this one it´s configured as a "client brigded" but when i transfer files between lan pc´s i can only get speeds up to 1700 Kb/s, this is normal? i tried thibor firmware with the same result.

sorry 4 my poor english.
cschmidt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was originally interested in new firmware in 2003 for my Linksys WRT's because I was looking to replace a Smartbridges Airbridge with a WRT54G. At the time only Satori from sveasoft was released and Client Bridge mode would not work, then came Alchemy, then Talisman, and DD-WRT. I am not aware if TRUE transparent client bridge mode works with Talisman, but I know it doesn't work with Alchemy.

I have 5 or 6 Linksys WRT's running Alchemy at the moment, and using WDS flawlessly.

However I would still like to try to get a WRT to replace a regular WISP type client bridge device, such as, Smartbridges Airbridge, Hygain, DeMarc, etc.... Those are all expensive compared to the WRT.

Why is it that the WRT cannot be setup to act as a simple Transparent Client Bridge to ANY 802.11b Access point? Such as Senao, Cisco, etc...

I want a transparent client bridge that works just like my expensive Client Bridges, without the extra cost.

Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to make the WRT a TRUE Transparent Client Bridge.

Any thoughts?
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
WDS does not do this for you ?
cschmidt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
WDS works fine and passes all macs, but only from one WRT to another.

I don't want to connect 2 WRT's together. I want to connect a WRT to an access point on a tower. I haven't seen ISP's in my area that use Linksys AP's. They mostly use Cisco and Senao on their towers.

I want to use a WRT to REPLACE a typical Transparent Client Bridge device that your average Wireless ISP uses such as Smartbridges Airbridge, Demarc or Hygain client bridge.

They come out to your house, install it, it connects to the tower to an access point like a Cisco, Senao etc... It passes your mac onto their network, it passes ANY macs from your location to their network. It's a transparent bridge.

Why can't the WRT do this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: