HOWTO: Client Bridged Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
The primary router doesn't have to be have dd-wrt on it to bridge with a router that does have dd-wrt on it. Read the wiki on linking routers for further information.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
caycarem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:26    Post subject: Re: WPA2 - PSK AES Reply with quote
my experience is opposite. i have 2 WRT320N, client bridge is dd-wrt,it only works when both set to WPA2 personal mix TKIP+AES.
1. security disabled on both: bridge can't see AP
2.WPA2 TKIP only: works, but only 3.7MB/s transfer
3. WPA2 mix mode: best, with 10MB/s transfer.
both routers in same room. both set to 5ghz, AP is N only, bridge is NA only. if both set to NA only then i get 2MB/s.
what speed do you guys get?

paradigm wrote:
feerlessleadr wrote:
I cannot seem to get my client bridge router (running v23 sp2 micro) to connect to my network using WPA2. I was using WPA and it worked fine, but i recently changed my network to WPA2 PSK but when i tried to update the client bridge router, it won't connect.

I remember when I installed v24 that there was a problem with something (which I can't remember) and client bridge mode, so i put on v23 sp1 micro and everything worked ok.

i noticed in the WIKI that it says:

Quote:
Security Mode: Match your primary router, I used WEP (I have not tried anything but 128bit WEP!)
note: WPA-PSK works as well -guyonphone;
note: WPA-PSK even works if original router is WPA2 mixed -mcoope3;
note: v2.3_sp2 in client bridge mode currently doesn't support WPA2-PSK, but only WPA2-PSK mixed mode, so the AP has to be set to mixed and not WPA2-only mode (it can be either AES or TKIP).-zevnik
note: To put it simple, WPA2 doesn't work in Bridge Mode currently (dd-wrt v23 sp2)-
darthn note: WPA2 Personal does work in v24SP1.

I also noticed that it says that WPA2 DOES work in v24sp1. Is whatever problem with client bridge and v24 solved? or is there anyway that I can get WPA2 to work with v23sp2 micro? or will i have to upgrade to v24?

thanks

I'm running a client bridge right now on two routers using 10991 eko. DHCP is working perfectly. The primary router is configured to use WPA2-Personal Mixed - TKIP+AES. But I had to set the client bridge to use WPA2 Personal + AES. Apparently you cannot set the client bridge to use a mixed mode, although you can still have your primry router use mixed. It mentions this in the wiki but at the very bottom where you don;t see it unless you read the whole thing before starting configuration. It got me too...

I also had to change the wireless MAC on my client bridge so that it would not conflict with my other dd-wrt primary.

I followed the bottom set of instructions here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
GordonTheGekko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 0:28    Post subject: Bridge limits? Reply with quote
Question: is it possible to have several routers in a string? Like a bridge router connected to a bridge router connected to an AP? (Not just two routers, several in a straight row)

Thanks!
djorkaef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
tlj2 wrote:
My opinion is that DD-WRT does not properly support even a single device on behing the DD-WRT "client bridge" mode radio.

Here is my reason for my opinion:

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this! I am struggling the past 12 hours trying to find out why my Digital television decoder set will not go into interactive mode when behind this client bridge. Turns out the Modem on the other side uses MAC adressing to define the customer information, and the ddwrt bridge is translating the MAC! My arp table in my network has similar entries for all devices behind the bridge! The strangest thing is that DHCP reservation for the decoder seems to work, because it is in another segment. Very strange, but my arp has the same entries for all, maybe it does not translate dhcp requests?

But now my question is, how can we solve this? I can only think about 2 things:
- Change the MAC adres of the bridge so that it is the same as the digital tv decoder. Is that even possible?
- Other firmware/no ddwrt? I use Linksys WRT54Gv2.2 dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin 2009-10-10 3,54 MB

I read through all 18 pages and it seems some had luck with some old firmware but most people have no solution.

Any input in this?
tmo1138
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
djorkaef wrote:
tlj2 wrote:
My opinion is that DD-WRT does not properly support even a single device on behing the DD-WRT "client bridge" mode radio.

Here is my reason for my opinion:

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this! I am struggling the past 12 hours trying to find out why my Digital television decoder set will not go into interactive mode when behind this client bridge. Turns out the Modem on the other side uses MAC adressing to define the customer information, and the ddwrt bridge is translating the MAC! My arp table in my network has similar entries for all devices behind the bridge! The strangest thing is that DHCP reservation for the decoder seems to work, because it is in another segment. Very strange, but my arp has the same entries for all, maybe it does not translate dhcp requests?

But now my question is, how can we solve this? I can only think about 2 things:
- Change the MAC adres of the bridge so that it is the same as the digital tv decoder. Is that even possible?
- Other firmware/no ddwrt? I use Linksys WRT54Gv2.2 dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin 2009-10-10 3,54 MB

I read through all 18 pages and it seems some had luck with some old firmware but most people have no solution.

Any input in this?

Keep in mind you're responding to a comment from tlj2 from 10 years ago. A lot has happened since then.

I'm using a WNDR3700v1 in Client Bridge mode right now. I followed the instructions here.. there are a couple of areas in my router where the steps weren't applicable but overall this approach worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE1mr-TXUPo

Useful links:

Builds:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/

dd-wrt supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

So long <kong> and thanks for all the fish!
djorkaef
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK I found the text of tlj2 also on the ddwrt wiki, and there it says you should use WDS if you dont want the MAC issues.
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge (limitations)

I got this to work perfectly.
In my situation, I just wanted to replace a long UTP cable by 2 access points. So I did not want routing or anything, just no UTP cable in the way. This solution worked great and it acts just as if it is 1 cable.

You could use this for example to have a pc, printer and ip phone in an unwired office, or for connecting 2 buildings and keep this in the same network, or as a backup solution for a broken UTP/fiber pipe (I doubt it will support trunk lines). I used it because my TV decoder needs direct access to my modem (unrouted) for retrieving the config by MAC address.

All cables to LAN ports. Multiple clients are possible. No MAC translations.
Total cost: 2x old Linksys WRT54G: 15 Euro

Wireless Distribution System
Client Bridge WDS

DDWRT1 (Side 1 of the bridge)
Linksys WRT54Gv2.2
DD-WRT v24-SP2 (08/07/10) std
IP 172.16.1.201
WAN disabled / DHCP disabled
Wireless MAC 00:12:17:C2:40:**
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: G-Only
SSID: WirelessBridge
Channel: 11 - 2.462Ghz
WPA Personal, AES, Key *
WDS LAN to 00:1C:10:14:0F:*

DDWRT2 (Side 2 of the bridge)
Linksys WRT54GLv1.1
DD-WRT v24-SP2 (08/07/10) std
IP 172.16.1.202
WAN disabled / DHCP disabled
Wireless MAC 00:1C:10:14:0F:*
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: G-Only
SSID: WirelessBridge
Channel: 11 - 2.462Ghz
WPA Personal, AES, Key *
WDS LAN to 00:12:17:C2:40:*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: