HOWTO: Client Bridged Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
aeroknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 20:56    Post subject: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
I installed v 23 SP1 (generic (standard) version) on two brand new, out of the box WRT54GLs yesterday (Jul 12, 2006).

One is setup as a router / access point and the other is on client bridge mode. The client bridge unit IS passing all MAC addresses to the router. The router is working DHCP and reservations are working fine. Also load balancing seems to be working based on MAC address (obviously the devices I am excited about are installed behind the client bridge). Or in other words DD-WRT is working as a transparent bridge.

This is very different from my exact same experience from two weeks ago when I installed V23 SP1 on two WRT54Gs (v 1.0 and 1.1) (WRT54G (standard) version) and the devices were not transparent (thats show I stumbled upon this post in the first place).

I thought you guys (and girls) would like to know.
Sponsor
Spankster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:54    Post subject: Re: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
aeroknight wrote:
The client bridge unit IS passing all MAC addresses to the router.

This is very interesting, can anyone else confirm? I'm running SP1 (04/23/06) mini right now and can confirm that MAC's from behind the client router are all being converted to the router wireless MAC. I'll see if I can try this new version tonight and will report back...

Spankster
Spankster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06    Post subject: Re: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
Spankster wrote:
aeroknight wrote:
The client bridge unit IS passing all MAC addresses to the router.

This is very interesting, can anyone else confirm? I'm running SP1 (04/23/06) mini right now and can confirm that MAC's from behind the client router are all being converted to the router wireless MAC. I'll see if I can try this new version tonight and will report back...

Spankster

Well, I bricked my router trying to get it upgraded so I won't have a status on this for a while.... Any suggestions on de-bricking woudld be greatly appreciated, see post here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1594

Thanks,
Spankster
Spankster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:29    Post subject: Re: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
aeroknight wrote:
I installed v 23 SP1 (generic (standard) version) on two brand new, out of the box WRT54GLs yesterday (Jul 12, 2006).

One is setup as a router / access point and the other is on client bridge mode. The client bridge unit IS passing all MAC addresses to the router. The router is working DHCP and reservations are working fine. Also load balancing seems to be working based on MAC address (obviously the devices I am excited about are installed behind the client bridge). Or in other words DD-WRT is working as a transparent bridge.

This is very different from my exact same experience from two weeks ago when I installed V23 SP1 on two WRT54Gs (v 1.0 and 1.1) (WRT54G (standard) version) and the devices were not transparent (thats show I stumbled upon this post in the first place).

K, well, I finally got my router un-bricked and I have DD-WRT mini installed, version from 12 July. When set up as a client-bridge it still behaves the same as always, it changes all the MAC's of the devices attached to it to its own wireless MAC. This was confirmed with arp -a on a machine not behind the bridge. So, AeroKnight, did you do anything special to get this configuration working? I'm curious to know how you confirmed that it was not changing the MAC's??? Any info you could provide so that I can get it working here would be much appreciated.....

Thanks,
Spankster
Spankster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
One last comment, I just realized that I had used the mini version so I just re-configured using the standard version with the same results. Both router and attached client are seen as having the same MAC.

Spankster
aeroknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two weeks ago I can confirm the router / bridge was not transparent. Now it is. Here are the differences between two weeks ago and now:

1. Two weeks ago I was using WRT54Gs (V 1.0 & 1.1) now I'm using WRT54GLs (both V1.1)
2. Two weeks ago I was using dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin and now I'm using dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin (both std).

I really dont know if its the hardware or the firmware or a combination of the two but I definitely have transparent bridging happening.

If someone else has access to two WRT54GLs, maybe they can try to re-create this setup.

I didnt really do anything special. I totally didnt expect the bridging to be tranparent but it is. I'll be playing around with it some more and will report back.

Just to clarify something - though I set this up on July 12 and mention that in my post, the actual firmware is DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) std.
stegbth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi,

2daedalus01:

if i read your signature correclty you are running your ap with wpa2-radius mode. and your client bridged router is connected to that?

cause i currently dont understand how to setup the eap thing on the client-bridged router?

what radius-server are you using?

greetings
thomas
Spankster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 0:32    Post subject: Re: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
aeroknight wrote:
The router is working DHCP and reservations are working fine.

Well, I've done a bit more experimenting. It looks like static DHCP does indeed work by MAC address for computers behind the client-bridge router. But a check with "arp -a" shows all computers behind the client-bridge as having the same MAC as the router. So I assume that the MAC address is included in the DHCP request, separate from the packet header seen in the normal network traffic, which lets the DHCP server see the actual MAC.

Spankster
pauloalexys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
aeroknight, could you be more specific of what firmware do you use, the date of the firmware and the complete version name would help, to reproduce your configuration. I also have 2 WRT54GL, and i lost my mind trying to make the following configuration to work:

ADSL MODEM <---->WRT54GL (ckient bridge) <---->WRT54GL (AP)<---->Laptop

The laptop cant connect to the internet.
I can ping the modem from the laptop and making a traceroute to an internet site gives me IP where the site is located, but can't get the page to open...
I think the problem is from the arp-proxy because in my laptop, the Modem and WRT54GL MAC's are the same...
If you could add the description of the Administrator and basic setup configuration would help!
Thanks
aeroknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pauloalexys and Spankster, I'm currently travelling for work and wont be able to respond in detail to either until atleast the weekend but in the interim:

Spankster, static DHCP reservations were not working with MAC addresses until I configured my present setup. Two weeks ago (on my previous setup), this wasnt working. When I get back, I'll connect a computer to the AP and confirm the arp -a way if the MACs are truly transparent from behind the client bridge. I havent done this yet beacuse I dont have a computer connected directly to my AP (only other non-computer devices).

Pauloalexys, I am not sure why you chose your present network topography the way you did. The idea is to have only one Router do the routing for the network and for that to work it should be connected to the gateway (ie your modem). In my case, the client bridge is passive (not doing anything but connecting non-wireless enabled computer wirelessly to the Router (my internal gateway)). I am not saying that your setup will not work, with the correct settings it will work. What I am saying is that the topography is peculiar (almost backwards in my mind becuase my Client Bridge is not connected to my Modem like you have it). This is my setup (from memory):

Modem <--> WRT54GL (Router A) <-wireless link-> WRT54GL (Router B) <--> Laptop

Both routers are running firmware dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin (standard version) release date 16 May 06 (Available here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fdd-wrt.v23+SP1%2Fstandard/ )

Router A
Mode: AP
IP: 192.168.0.1 (this can be anything obviously but its important to understand that this is the gateway as propogated by DHCP for the internal network)
DHCP Server on: IP range 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.49, gateway advertised as 192.168.0.1 DNS servers as advertised by modem (DNSMasq is off).

Router B
Mode: Client Bridged
IP: 192.168.0.2
WAN disabled
WAN port assigned to LAN
DHCP Forwarder (DHCP server set as 192.168.0.1)

Now when a computer connected to my Router B requests an IP address it received an IP from the pool on Router A (Router B simply facilitates the lease by forwarding the request and relaying the response and does not do anything itself) but more importantly the computer requesting the lease is told that Router A is the Gateway and not Router B which it is connected to. If I was to hazard a guess as to why your setup isnt working I would say that your DHCP settings are not configured properly or both your routers are running DHCP servers (potentially giving out wrong gateways) when you really only need one DHCP server. The only reason I have DHCP forwarding set on my Router B is that DD-WRT does not have an option for OFF, only ON or Forwarder (Relay). If I had a choice I wouldnt even bother with the Forwarder on Router B.

More later.
aeroknight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 19:16    Post subject: Re: Transparent Bridge Reply with quote
aeroknight wrote:

After trying arp -a from both sides of the wireless bridge I have to withdraw my earlier comment that DD-WRT Client Bridged mode is working as a transparent bridge. It is not.

In my defence I jumped to my earlier conclusion because it is passing mac addresses for Static DHCP and also QoS based on MAC addresess seems to be working too.
TalenT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 0:45    Post subject: 2 wrt54gl´s ..need help Reply with quote
puff...i am writting this for the second time. I have got a error because i was taking too long to write the post!
I am portuguese..so sorry about my mistakes.

I want to connect 2 wrt54gl´s v1.1 and i have tried a lot of things that don´t work. Sometimes i can connect but i am not able to do what i want.

What i really what is:

Desktop with internet connection Wrt54gl A ==== wireless ==== Wrt54gl B desktop (no internet connection).

I want to be able to share the internet connection to the second desktop computer, and also transfer files (ftp..whatever).

I have tried a lot of things. When in client mode...i can share the internet....but cant ping the other computer. In client Bridge...i can ping the other computer...but no internet connection.

Any help is very welcome.

i am using dd-wrt v23 sp1 on both routers
blademan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:14    Post subject: I'm a complete noob Reply with quote
Hi all! I recently purchased a WRT54GL and flashed it with DD-WRT v23 sp1 (after the v23 generic, as stated in the wiki guide) and also a Billion 7300G wireless router/modem.

My intentions have been to setup a home network with the 7300G as the modem and having the WRT54GL in another room (connected to PC, Xbox 360 plus possibly some other gear connected later) with them connected wirelessly.

I've read that I can connect them without needing an access point, due to the awesomeness of the DD-WRT firmware.

The only problem is I'm having trouble getting them to talk to one another.

I've tried reading the wiki, but I still can't seem to get it to work.

Here are the settings I have for both my PCs:

PC1 With 7300G

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : (mystery name)-4yiw4z
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-6A-26-D3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

PC2 With WRT54GL

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D3-B6-B2-E7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, 25 July 2006 8:17:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 26 July 2006 8:17:36 PM

...also here are what I believe to be relevant settings for WRT54GL are as follows:

Under the INTERNET SETUP tab
ROUTER IP
Ip address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Local DNS: 0.0.0.0
Internet connection type: Disabled
DHCP Server: Disabled

Under the WIRELESS tab
Wireless Channel: 11 (same as Billion)
Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: G-only (same as Billion)
Wireless Network Name (SSID): (same as Billion)

I got these through typing ipconfig /all during dos prompt.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm sure it must be obvious.

Thanks!
niffshack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have client bridge mode set up and when I ping my box behind the bridge I recieve duplicate replies. I've checked extensively to make sure that I have no other computers with the same ip address.

Is this typical behavior? If not, how might I go about fixing it?

Thanks.
oolloo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
wygamail wrote:
I'm grateful for this discussion on client bridge mode.
First, it may answer a lot of questions before they're asked.
Second, I've been interested in the difference between DD-WRT client bridge mode and the Thibor 15x WET mode.

My experience is that the client bridge GUI is unaccessible while serving its function, but a WET box GUI can be accessed under use.

Are these different implementations of the same concept, or are they completely different solutions?

In my experience they behave differently, but I'm going to try the arp commands myself and see what happens.

this is the same for me, has it been fxed yet???

I love satellite television and radio without ads if you do too and want to receive Dishnetwork channels without paying for them or Bell ExpressVu channels then go to http://www.templarworld.com these tiny units go for less than 3 bills US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: