TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Bricked ,Can not write flash memory.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Chronojohn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I've also somehow bricked my router.

I bought this adaptor:
http://www.ebay.at/itm/USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-PRGMR-Dupond-cable-/251159448719?pt=Elektromechanische_Bauelemente&hash=item3a7a450c8f

Hooking up the cables, receiving works (had to swap RX and TX, so now I have XR -> RX and TX -> TX), but I cannot get the router to accept the tpl command.

I've tested the adaptor by looping rx and tx which worked fine.

I've tried several Terminal Programs (Putty, TerraTerm,...) and tried typing tpl, spamming it from the clipboard, or using the TerraTerm script found in this thread. Nothing worked.

But one thing is strange, I don't think is should be that way. Using a multimeter I measured the Voltage between TX and GND. Looping RX and TX with a jumper the multimeter reads 3.3 volts.
But as soon as I connect TX to the router it only ready ~1 volts. (removing the RX/TX loop first of course) is that how it should be?

A and I've checked the soldering about a million times, I think i can safely say that its working.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may be missing the connection to the pull up resistor for the tx pin in the router.

Some usb to ttl converters has a pullup built in, others relies on the receiving end to have the pull up.

see

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

far down , serial recovery section

check with multimeter that you have the wire to the resistor.
Chronojohn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply.

I've already checked that. Double checked it now, i have continuity.

Just to test it I've soldered the mentioned connection anyways. Didn't work.

Is it possible for you (or someone else) to measure the voltage between GND and TX (Adapter side, which is RX on the Router side)?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chronojohn wrote:

But one thing is strange, I don't think is should be that way. Using a multimeter I measured the Voltage between TX and GND. Looping RX and TX with a jumper the multimeter reads 3.3 volts.

That doesn't tell much, your adapters rx input is likely to have a pull up resistor and that will show you a 3.3V reading.
Measure the voltage between gnd and rx wire to confirm, then measure between gnd and tx wire, I think you will see that the tx wire is floating, no distinct 0V or 3.3V

Now do the same on the router to see if the rx pin has a pull up resistor (the resistor mentioned in the openwrt wiki might not be a pull up).
If neither the adapters tx pin or the routers rx pin has pull up resistor then add a 4K7 resistor between vcc and the pin.

Chronojohn wrote:

But as soon as I connect TX to the router it only ready ~1 volts. (removing the RX/TX loop first of course) is that how it should be?

I guess floating, no pull up resistor.
ricky56789
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
hvandrie wrote:
Hi chenshaoju,

I bricked my TL-WR1043ND too a few times and recovered it successfully every time.
You can find the way to recover your unit on the OpenWRT site.

Here are the steps:

1. Download modified original firmware that has first 0x20200 cut off, or use firmware attached below.
2. Gain access to the serial port and hook it up to your computer using RS-232 / USB --> TTL adapter.
3. Install Putty, setup Serial connection, set COM port appropiately to your adapter in step 2 and do not click Open yet
4. set networkcard of computer to ip address: 192.168.0.5 , subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and no gateway
5. Install TFTP32 server (google it) on your computer, connect computer with ethernet cable to LAN switch port on router.
6. Make sure the "Current Directory" in TFTP32 is set to folder with modified original firmware renamed to "code.bin"
7. In Putty, click open and plug in Power cord to router... you should see bootloader coming up now...
8. You will see something like this:

No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7114
eth0 up
eth0
Autobooting in 1 seconds## Booting image bf0200000...

Then type following fast: tpl

Now you will get into the command prompt and you're able to execute commands.

9. Erase the firmware before writing it again using following command: erase 0xbf020000 +7c0000
10. Download new modified original firmware from computer to the router: tftpboot 0x81000000 code.bin
11. Write the downloaded firmware to flash using: cp.b 0x81000000 0xbf020000 0x7c0000
12. Boot the original firmware again: bootm 0xbf020000

Your router should be unbricked again!

I just wanted to check, can this debrick procedure be used for a 1043nd v2?
Thanks
aetos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37    Post subject: resistance 362 and 363 Reply with quote
someone Know the resistance value 362 and 363!!!!!!please on TL-WR1043ND
aetos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09    Post subject: Re: resistance 362 and 363 Reply with quote
ok....i fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ckm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:04    Post subject: PULL UP RESISTOR Reply with quote
HEY !!!!!!!!

I can not get the TPL command to work ether this is what im getting.

free image uploading

I put in the TPL command.it puts OK at the end.TPLOK and boot kernel.I tried every way no luck.

So i checked for continuity at RX pin to R362 resistor,checked good.So i started checking voltage first at the adapter RX 3.3V,TX 3.3V.
Router board header RX 0 Volts,TX 3.3V.also 0
volts at R362 resistor.
TTL Adapter unplug 12 volt power supply only.
Hooked everything up.
Checked at board header RX 1.10V,TX 3.3V.also 1.10 volts at R362 resistor.
Its like the RX is getting all its power from the TTl adapter is this were i need to put a PULL UP resistor,VCC to RX pin and solder it in something like whats in this PIC.

image upload no registration

They got this going ,VCC to TX is this a good place
to put a PULL UP resistor.
Something is cousing the TPL command not to work and i want to debrick this router.
ckm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:09    Post subject: I got my TP-LINK-1043ND unbricked Reply with quote
HEEEEEY EVERYONE!!!!!

I found out why my 1043nd was not taking the TPL command whin i had everything hooked up trying to get it to work,with no luck.I srarted checking voltage at the TX and RX.with everything hooked up and powered up
the TX 3.3v and RX 1.10v THATS THE PROBLEM RX needs to be 3.3v too.The board does not have a pull up resister with the 12v power supply only the RX 0.0 zero volts.
THE TTL adapter both TX,RX were 3.3v whin i hooked it up to the board header RX drop to 1.10v if my adapter has a pull up resister its not worth a crap.This is the adapter i was using,

image uploading

So i bought another adapter and it worked the first time i hooked everything up on board header TX and RX are now 3.3volts.I open wordpad typed TPL saved copy right click in putty works everytime.This is the adapter that works.

photo hosting sites

This is a USB to TTL UART Adapter Converter DragonOSD i know this one works and it works good.
I used hvandrie directions and modified file on page one in this forum the router is unbricked and working great,im a happy camper!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Aambro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Re: unbricked and rebricked Reply with quote
mjonsson wrote:

I then used my new FTDI FT232RQ 3.3 V ttl cable connecting VCC (which is 5V from the cable), RX/TX and gnd. When I connected all four of the cables (no external 12 V power) the router started and I saw the boot process. But since I didn't solder the cables to the router, but simply connecting them by pressing against the connector of the router I though that I should also connect the 12 V adapter to not loose power while unbricking it. And soon after I connected the external power adapter it started to smell like fried electronics Sad So I unplugged the external power adapter and continued to unbrick the router by typing 'tpl' to get the boot prompt and then erase, tftp, copy and boot the new firmware successfully. But now the router don't work with the external 12 adapter, only by 5 V internal connection...

I have this exact problem - have you fixed yours? I can run router on 5V through VCC. However, there is a weird buzzing noise coming from somewhere. I was able to un-brick it with 5V input.
mjonsson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Re: unbricked and rebricked Reply with quote
Aambro wrote:

I have this exact problem - have you fixed yours? I can run router on 5V through VCC. However, there is a weird buzzing noise coming from somewhere. I was able to un-brick it with 5V input.

Since I guessed I damaged some of the electronics, I did not test it further after unbricking it. So it is still unused and considered broken...
gtanases
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 23:22    Post subject: unbrick TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 Reply with quote
Finally works

I succeeded to unbrick my TL-WR1043ND V2 .

I follow these steps (thanks to hvandrie):

1. Download modified original firmware TL-WR1043ND-V2-stripped.zip from here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd#downloads.for.tl-wr1043nd.v2.x . Extract it and rename it as “code.bin”.
2. Connect the router serial port to your computer using RS-232 / TTL converter. I use a old laptop that it have a serial port and I made my own RS-232 / TTL circuit (I don’t use an USB RS232/TTL adapter). For supply the circuit I use 2XR6 batteries (below the cheap diagram). I have no soldered any wire on the router card just use a bigger wires , put inside the hole and fix them with adhesive tape . Do not connect the Vcc to the router.
3. Install Putty, setup Serial connection (Bits per second: 115200, Data bits: 8, Parity: None, Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None), set COM port appropiately to your converter in step 2 and do not click Open yet
4. set networkcard of computer to ip address: 192.168.0.5 , subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and no gateway
5. Install TFTP32 server (google it) on your computer and open it, connect computer with ethernet cable to LAN switch port on router.
6. Make sure the "Current Directory" in TFTP32 is set to folder with modified original firmware renamed to "code.bin" (I just copy the code.bin where I extract TFTP32).
7. In Putty, click open and switch on the Power to router... you should see bootloader coming up now...
8. You will see something like this:

No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7114
eth0 up
eth0
Autobooting in 1 seconds## Booting image 0x9f020000...

Then type following fast: tpl ( I was not very fast but it works for the first time).Then everything stops and I was able to execute commands.
9. Configure networking
arxxxx> setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.6
arxxxx> setenv serverip 192.168.0.5
Confirm the settings have been accepted correctly so:
arxxxx> printenv
10. Erase the corrupt firmware:
arxxxx> erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000
11. Download new firmware over TFTP to router memory
arxxxx> tftp 0x80060000 code.bin
12. Flash the new firmware
arxxxx> cp.b 0x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
13. Boot the new firmware (before I plug in the WAN cable)
arxxxx> bootm 0x9f020000
and wait a while (5-8 min)
Disconnect the serial wires and switch off/switch on the power button
Put in your browser 192.168.0.1…. Before brick ,my own user name and password was admin/admin an I used in this step.

The router is back in bussines.

Pay attention : the parameters (italic bold) are for TL-WR1043ND V2 only.
For TL-WR1043ND V1 you shall use specific parameters
duyanh100910
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
penko_bg wrote:
Hello i have bricked router 1043nd, with serial i receive this:
AP83 (ar9100) U-boot 0.0.11
DRAM:
sri
4 MB
and stop.

what is the problem?

DRAM error, only 4MB out of 32MB is functional.

I have :

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jun 18 2013 - 15:51:52)
ap135 - Scorpion 1.0DRAM:
sri
Scorpion 1.0
ath_ddr_initial_config(211): (16bit) ddr1 init
tap = 0x00000002
Tap (low, high) = (0xaa55aa55, 0x0)
Tap values = (0x8, 0x8, 0x8, 0x8)
4 MB

what happen?i can't type 'tpl' or anything
bacclaudiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:39    Post subject: TP-link TL-WDR3600 Reply with quote
Hello!
I have a bricked TP-link TL-WDR3600 and i try to connect to this using USB to TTL CP2101 and I get the following result and after that it's stops
-----------------------
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Sep 9 2013 - 14:28:41)

U-boot DB120

DRAM: 128 MB
id read 0x100000ff
flash size 8MB, sector count = 128
Flash: 8 MB
Using default environment
------------------------
Never display: Autobooting in 1 second.
I don't get this result all the time (another time I get blank)only after some start and stop reps

Can someone HELP me?
Slafko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I also managed to unbrick my 1043ND v1 via USB to TTL, however NOT with the firmware provided here, but "stripped" firmware from this guide:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

Other things are correct here also (TX and RX power 3.3V, terminal program set to 115200 8N1, no security...)

Good luck!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 13
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: