Netgear 3500 v2 died after firmware upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
lojden wrote:
Hmm, i do not have those pins on my 3500L V2..

WNR3500L v2 is not the same router as WNR3500 v2.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
the whole popping of the hood is completely irrelevant, just make sure you start the router without anything connected and use the initial chk file, works every time.

1. set your computer to a static ip of 192.168.1.162

2. start your router without any connections

3. connect your computer to a lan port(orange)

4. in the Shell prompt write tftp -i 192.168.1.1 *****.chk
the stars represent the filename of the chk file for initial flashing wich can be downloaded from
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Netgear/WNR3500L/-/dd-wrt.v24-14311_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk/3467

4. wait a minute... ay caramba it's working again
bcquickstep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 23:52    Post subject: Bricked router? Reply with quote
I have been using DD-WRT for years at home on my older Netgear WGR614v8 with no problems.

I have a WNR3500v2 that I tried to flash about a month ago and I believe I bricked it. I DID read through the installation instructions several times prior to attempting it. I obviously missed something or did something wrong. I am just unsure what.

I have since attempted to use tftp to send it the original Netgear firmware and start from square one. All I am getting is a flashing green power light. I did open it up and attempt to short the two pins shown earlier in this post, but I am getting no further. I am using Linux and have no access to a Windows machine. I can ping the router and do get constant responses when I set a static gateway IP of 192.168.1.1 and also get a confirmation after sending it new firmware using tftp, but nothing changes with the flashing power light.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next. I really need to get this router working, as my old router is the weak link in my home setup.

Thanks in advance!
sketchman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
d34dmeat wrote:
the whole popping of the hood is completely irrelevant, just make sure you start the router without anything connected and use the initial chk file, works every time.

1. set your computer to a static ip of 192.168.1.162

2. start your router without any connections

3. connect your computer to a lan port(orange)

4. in the Shell prompt write tftp -i 192.168.1.1 *****.chk
the stars represent the filename of the chk file for initial flashing wich can be downloaded from
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Netgear/WNR3500L/-/dd-wrt.v24-14311_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk/3467

4. wait a minute... ay caramba it's working again

Doesn't work for me. Always gives me a timeout message and does nothing.

As a side note it really blows my mind how much these mess up while trying to do something they were made to do. Mine has bricked twice. Both times I had to TFTP with the serial interface to get it to work. Also the 30/30/30 thing seems to do absolutely nothing for it.

I'm about ready to eBay this thing and just buy another WRT54GL. Boots WAY faster, and never once messed up while flashing it.
SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the WNR3500v2 is very easy to brick. A lot of the newer firmware also brick it. It has a limited size flash ram so it's can't take the standard 4MB size firmware. Max firmware size is around ~3600000 bytes.

When it's bricked, the easiest recovery method is the pin short. It will clear the flash and put it into recovery mode.

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/20501/Reset-Debrick-NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Pin-Short-Method/

This method works on the WNR3500v2 and I've used it many times. You're going to need a Torx T6 screw driver to open up the router. You need to slide the cover down and also push up to the sides where the screw was. There's 2 small tabs (left/right side) which prevents from easily sliding down.

It takes a few tries to get the pin short to work, but keep trying (power off/start over). While pinging the router (PING -t 192.168.1.1), power on and wait about 2 secs. The lights will flash, then short it about 1-2 seconds. If successful, the yellow light will turn to a blinking green and the ping will keep responding. Then you can use the tftp to recover.

use this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Netgear/WNR3500/v2/dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500v2.chk/3815

rename the super long "dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500v2.chk" to just "wnr3500v2.chk"

The tftp command should be:

tftp –i 192.168.1.1 put wnr3500v2.chk

Then wait about 3-5 minutes. It will automatically reboot a few times. When it's ready for use, the blue Wifi light will be on. I recommend using r14929.

http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=betas%2F2010%2F08-12-10-r14929%2Fbroadcom_K26%2F

either
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin
or
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

Don't try newer std builds as they are too big and will brick. Some newer mini builds also brick.

I just retired my WRT54GSv3 and put this WNR3500v2 into service after countless tries of newer firmwares and bricking it.
unsivilaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bumping this old thread in hopes someone has an idea. I have a WNR3500v2 that I have bricked and seemingly won't accept new firmware. CFE appears functional as I'm getting constant pings TTL=100, and I can get success messages from TFTP all day. However nothing changes. The green power LED continues to blink, and the router is still inaccessible.

There is one instance where this doesn't happen however. I can push a DD-WRT mini build and the power led stops blinking, however the router becomes unresponsive, and I've let it sit for 20+ minutes like this. A power cycle reverts the device to original behavior. Thanks in advance guys.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like you are flashing the wrong firmware. Double check the label and make sure it is exactly what you think it is, and flash stock firmware to get it working. If that doesn't work, see the peacock announcement, note 6.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
unsivilaudio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
No way in hell am I that incompetent. And yes, obviously I've read the Peacock thread, I only made a post as a last resort before I toss this in the trash.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then you should be able to fix it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
unsivilaudio wrote:
I have a WNR3500v2 that I have bricked and seemingly won't accept new firmware. CFE appears functional as I'm getting constant pings TTL=100, and I can get success messages from TFTP all day. However nothing changes. The green power LED continues to blink, and the router is still inaccessible.
Have you tried TFTP'ing the stock firmware as a first step before the DD .chk trailed build?
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
michaelahess
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04    Post subject: Borked router Reply with quote
I've flashed a bunch of these with no issues. Until now.

WNR3500v2 not the L model. Just have the flashing green light.

I've tried as others have mentioned in this thread with tftp, dozens of attempts at the pin shorting, can't get it to work. I can ping it all day with TTL of 100. One image I tried makes the power light go off, the lan port keeps blinking, not sure what that means.

I have a ttl cable but am unsure of the pinout as they are not labeled. All the forums posts I find online seem to have only the L model.

Could someone tell me the pinout or have any other ideas on what to try?

I've attempted to flash stock, tomato, and dd-wrt version for this specific router to no avail.

Thanks!
SleepyBum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:40    Post subject: Re: Borked router Reply with quote
michaelahess wrote:
I've attempted to flash stock, tomato, and dd-wrt version for this specific router to no avail.

If it's responding to pings, then it should take the tftp flash. Try to flash the stock firmware first, maybe try some of the older stock version. It should respond with a "Transfer successful". Wait about 3-5 minutes for it to reboot. Might need to do a 30-30-30 reset to clear the settings.

Also even in 2016, I would still recommend build 14929 for this router as newer versions might brick it, too large to fit.

Even some of the newer tomato versions are also too large. Last one I've tried that works is Shibby's "tomato-K26-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-123-Mini.trx" Most of the newer ones are too large.

I've retired this router, so I can't comment on newer firmware versions. Like I said before, at of the newer firmwares will brick it because they're too large. Check the firmware size is around ~3600000 bytes.
michaelahess
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Every one I've tried is 3,444,7xx in size. Including the oldest original on Netgear's site and the 14896 of dd-wrt.

If the green light is flashing and I didn't short the pins, should it still take it or is it really just maybe I'm not shorting the pins right?

The 14896 version makes the light stop blinking but nothing happens after even a half hour. All other versions appear to do nothing.

Thanks for the help, and trying to remember all about this old beast!
jazzdude00021
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Works on WNR3500L/U Reply with quote
I had the misfortune of bricking my router (WNR3500L/U) on a botched firmware update. After my due penance of re-reading the Peacock Thread, I found this thread and after some finessing, it saved my router.

I was getting an amber power light with 3-5 ping replies (TTL=100) per boot and no response to TFTP commands. Here's the method I used to get TFTP flash to work again.

0) Open the case and keep your T6 nearby. Start pinging 192.168.1.1. Get your TFTP client ready to go.
1)* Power on as normal. Hold down reset button once the ethernet light comes on.
2)* Power off with reset button depressed.
3)* Power on with reset button depressed. Wait for ethernet light to come on.
4)* Wait 5 seconds and release reset button.
5) When you see ping replies with TTL=100, QUICKLY and CAREFULLY short pins 15 and 16 with your T6. The power light should change to flashing green. Pings should keep returning with TTL=100
6) Remove the T6 screwdriver.
7) Send new firmware via TFTP.
8 ) WAIT 5 FULL EARTH MINUTES before attempting ANYTHING. The router should stabilize after a few power cycles. Follow steps from the Peacock Thread regarding what to do after flashing firmware.

*=You can do a 30/30/30 instead of steps 1-4. I tried enough to know that at this stage a 5/5/5 is sufficient.

I was able to use this method to revert to stock firmware. From stock firmware, I used this method to recover from a bad .chk flash and then from DD-WRT firmware I was able to get to another DD-WRT version. I assume once the router is in Blinking Green (aka ready to accept TFTP mode) you're free to try any firmware you want.

Troubleshooting:
1) If the power light turns AMBER, something went wrong: Try again.
2) If the power light turns off, but other lights are on, try again. That firmware is likely too large or incompatible.
3) If the power light turns Green and Amber, try again. Firmware is not too large but is incompatible. (So far all versions past r30471 seem to cause this problem.

I was able to get the following firmwares to boot using the above method:
dd-wrt.v24-30471_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk
WNR3500L-V1.2.2.48_35.0.55NA.chk (Netgear Firmware)

The following caused no power light:
dd-wrt.v24-30471_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin (too big)

The following caused a green/amber light or a solid amber light and necessitated the pin short method to recover:
dd-wrt.v24-33525_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin
dd-wrt.v24-33525_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk

Hope this helps someone else out!
crotale
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 18:27    Post subject: Re: Works on WNR3500L/U Reply with quote
jazzdude00021 wrote:
I had the misfortune of bricking my router (WNR3500L/U) on a botched firmware update. After my due penance of re-reading the Peacock Thread, I found this thread and after some finessing, it saved my router.

I was getting an amber power light with 3-5 ping replies (TTL=100) per boot and no response to TFTP commands. Here's the method I used to get TFTP flash to work again.

0) Open the case and keep your T6 nearby. Start pinging 192.168.1.1. Get your TFTP client ready to go.
1)* Power on as normal. Hold down reset button once the ethernet light comes on.
2)* Power off with reset button depressed.
3)* Power on with reset button depressed. Wait for ethernet light to come on.
4)* Wait 5 seconds and release reset button.
5) When you see ping replies with TTL=100, QUICKLY and CAREFULLY short pins 15 and 16 with your T6. The power light should change to flashing green. Pings should keep returning with TTL=100
6) Remove the T6 screwdriver.
7) Send new firmware via TFTP.
8 ) WAIT 5 FULL EARTH MINUTES before attempting ANYTHING. The router should stabilize after a few power cycles. Follow steps from the Peacock Thread regarding what to do after flashing firmware.

*=You can do a 30/30/30 instead of steps 1-4. I tried enough to know that at this stage a 5/5/5 is sufficient.

I was able to use this method to revert to stock firmware. From stock firmware, I used this method to recover from a bad .chk flash and then from DD-WRT firmware I was able to get to another DD-WRT version. I assume once the router is in Blinking Green (aka ready to accept TFTP mode) you're free to try any firmware you want.

Troubleshooting:
1) If the power light turns AMBER, something went wrong: Try again.
2) If the power light turns off, but other lights are on, try again. That firmware is likely too large or incompatible.
3) If the power light turns Green and Amber, try again. Firmware is not too large but is incompatible. (So far all versions past r30471 seem to cause this problem.

I was able to get the following firmwares to boot using the above method:
dd-wrt.v24-30471_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNR3500L.chk
dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk
WNR3500L-V1.2.2.48_35.0.55NA.chk (Netgear Firmware)

The following caused no power light:
dd-wrt.v24-30471_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega.bin (too big)

The following caused a green/amber light or a solid amber light and necessitated the pin short method to recover:
dd-wrt.v24-33525_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin
dd-wrt.v24-33525_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk

Hope this helps someone else out!

Thank you very much for this information. I didn't do enough research for my WNR3500v2 and consequently flashed a non-working image to it (dd-wrt.v24-37442_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500v2.chk).

My main goal was to improve security and have a version with patches for Krack. When put in to perspective, I could (and did) buy a newer device with more flash instead of attempting to find a newer and working version for this.

I reverted to 14929 thanks to the instructions so I at least have a working 5 port Gbit switch.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: