IPv6 updated instructions and scripts for v24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
mpyusko
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANK YOU rw123!!!!

I'm not sure what the difference is (I'll pick through it later), but it is working on my WRT54GL 1.1 Build 15230M std-nokaid.

ping6 ipv6.google.com
PING ipv6.google.com(iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=83.2 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=84.9 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=84.1 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=84.0 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=100 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=6 ttl=56 time=85.1 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=7 ttl=56 time=82.7 ms
64 bytes from iad04s01-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=8 ttl=56 time=83.1 ms

Thank you!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad I could help!

I find it interesting that I can get to some ipv6 sites but not others:

http://www.kame.net/ the famous dancing turtle
http://www.ipv6.bieringer.de/ the dancing penguin
http://whatismyipv6.net/
but not
http://whatismyipv6.com/
http://whatsmyipv6.com/ watch spelling

and I can ping out to many ipv6 addresses such as my remote server running 6to4 but not from there back to my pc.

Wonder why?

rw123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm getting a error no such device

BusyBox v1.13.4 (2010-08-07 04:25:17 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

root@DD-WRT:~# TUNNELPREFIX="2001:1938:81:168::"
root@DD-WRT:~# SIXXS4="209.197.5.66"
root@DD-WRT:~# TUNNELSUBNET="2001:1938:81:168::/64"
root@DD-WRT:~# MTU=1280
root@DD-WRT:~# INTERFACE="sixxs"
root@DD-WRT:~# MYTUNNELIP="${TUNNELPREFIX}2"
root@DD-WRT:~# SIXXSTUNNELIP="${TUNNELPREFIX}1"
root@DD-WRT:~# ip tunnel add${INTERFACE} mode sit remote ${SIXXS4} ttl 100
root@DD-WRT:~# ip link set mtu ${MTU} dev ${INTERFACE}
SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
root@DD-WRT:~# ip link set ${INTERFACE) up
-sh: syntax error: bad substitution

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
rtoledo wrote:

It looks like you're missing a space between "add" and "${INTERFACE}" in that command.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
laxpeter wrote:
rtoledo wrote:

It looks like you're missing a space between "add" and "${INTERFACE}" in that command.

looks like I missed that, but here's the good news, I came home and started reading all these threads in here and came across a link in one of them pointing me to http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com.ipv4.sixxs.org/

and I'll be the darn thing is working!!!

this is what it says

This page shows your IPv6 and/or IPv4 address
You are connecting with an IPv6 Address of:
2001:1af8:1:f006::6
IPv4 only Test Normal Test IPv6 only Test

If the IPv6 only test shows "The page cannot be displayed" (Internet Explorer), "Server not found" (Firefox), any error or search page then you do not have working IPv6 connectivity. "Normal Test" shows which protocol your browser preferrs when you have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity. This page should work even on computers with IPv6 only connectivity.

You can access this page with any of these easy to remember url's:

ip4.me (defaults to IPv4 only test)
ip6.me
whatismyv6.com
whatismyipv6address.com
IPv6 webpop stats

AND THIS IS the IPV 6 ONLY test

2001:838:2:1:2a0:24ff:feab:3b53

If the IPv6 only test shows "The page cannot be displayed" (Internet Explorer), "Server not found" (Firefox), any error or search page then you do not have working IPv6 connectivity. "Normal Test" shows which protocol your browser preferrs when you have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity. This page should work even on computers with IPv6 only connectivity.

You can access this page with any of these easy to remember url's:

ip4.me (defaults to IPv4 only test)
ip6.me
whatismyv6.com
whatismyipv6address.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
rtoledo wrote:
looks like I missed that, but here's the good news, I came home and started reading all these threads in here and came across a link in one of them pointing me to http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com.ipv4.sixxs.org/

and I'll be the darn thing is working!!!

this is what it says

2001:1af8:1:f006::6

By using ipv6.sixxs.org you're using Sixxs' IPv4 gateway. I wouldn't call that the ultimate success. You got to be able to access http://www.whatismyipv6.net/ directly that'd be proof of your working IPv6 connection.

And is 2001:1af8:1:f006::6 the IPv6 of your computer you're connecting with (probably not, unless you set it manually)? The missing space is crucial, you have to change that in your script.

rtoledo wrote:
root@DD-WRT:~# TUNNELPREFIX="2001:1938:81:168::"
root@DD-WRT:~# SIXXS4="209.197.5.66"
root@DD-WRT:~# TUNNELSUBNET="2001:1938:81:168::/64"

The tunnelprefix is correct but the tunnelsubnet must be another IPv6 net (check https://www.sixxs.net/pops/prefixes/, Highwinds Network Group Inc) so either you haven't got a Subnet from Sixxs yet or typed in the wrong subnet. The subnet you're using won't be routed to you so it won't work that way.

If you got enough IPKs from Sixxs you can request a subnet and this will be routed to your tunnel. Use that subnet for TUNNELSUBNET and you'll be closer to a working IPv6 connection.

Cheers,
LazyT
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm coming back to this after a while...recently changed ISPs, and while I have no idea if Time Warner Cable supports ipv6, I was wondering...is there any additional configuration necessary (beyond enabling ipv6 under Administration) to set up native ipv6 on DD-WRT?

If that's confusing, what I'm asking is...say your ISP supports ipv6 to the consumer, and you want your router running DD-WRT to act in native ipv6 mode (though preferably dual with ipv4 and ipv6), get an ipv6 DHCP lease, and provide appropriate addresses to devices on your network...how would one accomplish this?

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

rtoledo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
So I'm coming back to this after a while...recently changed ISPs, and while I have no idea if Time Warner Cable supports ipv6, I was wondering...is there any additional configuration necessary (beyond enabling ipv6 under Administration) to set up native ipv6 on DD-WRT?

If that's confusing, what I'm asking is...say your ISP supports ipv6 to the consumer, and you want your router running DD-WRT to act in native ipv6 mode (though preferably dual with ipv4 and ipv6), get an ipv6 DHCP lease, and provide appropriate addresses to devices on your network...how would one accomplish this?

from what I've read so far, and IF I understood it, if you have a ISP that provides native, that is the easiest way to do it.

all you would need is turn on IPV6 in administration , and RADVD , then just have radvd advertise the first 4 octects of the address and each computer inside your router space then sets up it's address using the 4 first octects and choosing their last 4 from a combination that includes the MAC address.

if those computers are WIN7 boxes then they use a non-standard way that is suppossed to give you some privacy as the MAC address is NOT revealed and also changes every so often

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
...and while I have no idea if Time Warner Cable supports ipv6,...

TWC does not support IPv6 at this time. What I'm finding out is many ISP and Web-hosts don't support it. Apparently it is turning into a reactive thing, rather than a proactive thing. Cpanel doesn't support IPv6 yet either, which is what is holding back many web-hosts.

Facebook, Google, Netflix, and an increasing list of others, do.
http://ipv6.netflix.com
http://www.v6.facebook.com/
http://ipv6.google.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
See the odd looking IP address stated in the script (192.88.99.1)? It's the anycast address that basically tells the destination network that the packets are intended for the ipv6 network.

By local, I mean two things: 1, the radvd configuration enables the router to assign ipv6 addresses based on your computer's ipv4 address (so your internal network can essentially be in a sense native ipv6), and 2, the encapsulation of ipv6 packets within ipv4 packets takes place at the router itself, instead of ipv4 traffic being sent through a tunnel to somewhere like Hurricane Electric, who translates it to ipv6.

is it normal for computers to get 2 ipv6 addresses one temporary and one public?
And yes, once you get it set up and your computer gets an ipv6 address, you can browse the ipv6 Internet. Try pointing a browser at ipv6.google.com once you've got the script running and have reset your network adapter.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
dorfd1 wrote:
socal87 wrote:
See the odd looking IP address stated in the script (192.88.99.1)? It's the anycast address that basically tells the destination network that the packets are intended for the ipv6 network.

By local, I mean two things: 1, the radvd configuration enables the router to assign ipv6 addresses based on your computer's ipv4 address (so your internal network can essentially be in a sense native ipv6), and 2, the encapsulation of ipv6 packets within ipv4 packets takes place at the router itself, instead of ipv4 traffic being sent through a tunnel to somewhere like Hurricane Electric, who translates it to ipv6.

is it normal for computers to get 2 ipv6 addresses one temporary and one public?

Yes...Windows Vista and Windows 7 automatically generate local tunneling ipv6 addresses. Your adapter will essentially show two ipv6 addresses if you get a DHCPv6 lease.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

dorfd1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
dorfd1 wrote:
socal87 wrote:

Yes...Windows Vista and Windows 7 automatically generate local tunneling ipv6 addresses. Your adapter will essentially show two ipv6 addresses if you get a DHCPv6 lease.

so I should see a link local, a temporary and global ip addresses?
sfixphdi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 19:31    Post subject: WLAN IPv6 on WRT54G-TM Reply with quote
Well, this is quite baffling to me. I had a WRT54G v3 that was working great on IPv6 using the ancient Crushedhat build 10070. It was working fine with the following setup (addresses tweaked, of course):

Code:

# IPv6 Tunnel Settings
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 66.220.18.42 local 22.33.44.55 ttl 64
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:1470:c:1234::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
ip addr add 2001:1470:f111:abcd::1/64 dev br0
radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start
# Firewall Rules for IPv6
iptables -I INPUT 2 -p ipv6 -i vlan1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -s 66.220.18.42 -i vlan1 -j ACCEPT
#radvd
interface br0 {
        AdvSendAdvert on;
        prefix 2001:1470:f111:abcd::/64
        {
                AdvOnLink on;
                AdvAutonomous on;
        };
};

This worked like a charm and served both my wired and wireless computers. Now I have acquired a WRT54G-TM, and have 15508 mega installed on it. With the same code above, IPv6 works for my wired clients, but not my wireless clients. As an aside, it is interesting to note that I do not have to use all of the extra code that is listed elsewhere in this thread (such as insmod ipv6, etc.) to get it to work, however, as I stated, my wireless clients are not getting IPv6 addresses. Anyone have any ideas as to why it's working for wired and not wireless clients?[/code]
Chuck_McDevitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dorfd1 wrote:
socal87 wrote:
dorfd1 wrote:
socal87 wrote:

so I should see a link local, a temporary and global ip addresses?

If IPv6 is working, you should ALWAYS have a link-local address for every interface.
And if you have a valid IPv6 routable prefix, and therefor a routable IP address, you should always see a global IPv6 address for every interface.

If "privacy enhanced" or "temporary" addresses are enabled, you should aways see AT LEAST ONE temporary address per interface.

Windows will normally generate one PER CONNECTION you make, so you may have anywhere from 1 to several thousand.
sfixphdi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 0:25    Post subject: Re: WLAN IPv6 on WRT54G-TM Reply with quote
sfixphdi wrote:
Well, this is quite baffling to me. I had a WRT54G v3 that was working great on IPv6 using the ancient Crushedhat build 10070. It was working fine with the following setup (addresses tweaked, of course):

Code:

# IPv6 Tunnel Settings
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 66.220.18.42 local 22.33.44.55 ttl 64
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:1470:c:1234::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
ip addr add 2001:1470:f111:abcd::1/64 dev br0
radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf start
# Firewall Rules for IPv6
iptables -I INPUT 2 -p ipv6 -i vlan1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -s 66.220.18.42 -i vlan1 -j ACCEPT
#radvd
interface br0 {
        AdvSendAdvert on;
        prefix 2001:1470:f111:abcd::/64
        {
                AdvOnLink on;
                AdvAutonomous on;
        };
};

This worked like a charm and served both my wired and wireless computers. Now I have acquired a WRT54G-TM, and have 15508 mega installed on it. With the same code above, IPv6 works for my wired clients, but not my wireless clients. As an aside, it is interesting to note that I do not have to use all of the extra code that is listed elsewhere in this thread (such as insmod ipv6, etc.) to get it to work, however, as I stated, my wireless clients are not getting IPv6 addresses. Anyone have any ideas as to why it's working for wired and not wireless clients?[/code]

Any ideas? I had it working briefly, and then it stopped. I did an "ipconfig" command from my Windows laptop, and noticed that there is no default gateway listed for IPv6, even though I have IPv6 addresses from radvd. So then I terminated the connection and tried again. Now I don't get any addresses from radvd again. I don't get it! It works fine on vlan2 and br1, but not on br0! Shocked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: