5Ghz fast, 2.4 extremely slow (Netgear R7000)-SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
poflynn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36    Post subject: 5Ghz fast, 2.4 extremely slow (Netgear R7000)-SOLVED Reply with quote
Hi all,

Initially I thought I was all good with this and enabled QoS, added a USB drive and enabled guest wi-fi. It was only later I discovered that the 2.4GHz network is unusable, it gets, at best, maybe 30KBps but generally it's non-responsive. So I stripped back the settings to turn off QoS etc, plus played around with different channel settings etc but nothing seems to be working (except 5GHz, which is great).

I'm sitting right next to the router. I checked my neighbor's channels - I have a fair amount and they are impossible to entirely avoid but moving around channels seemed to have no effect. The nearest neighbor is maybe 50m/50yards away so they're not too close. I tried locking to to wireless-n only, ensured that the channel width is 20MHz. I never touched the advanced settings.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Paul

Pasted from my status page:
Netgear R7000
DD-WRT v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/1Cool

Last edited by poflynn on Sun Nov 18, 2018 21:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
flyzipper
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not much to go on, so this is only a hunch.
Did you Enable Per User Default Limits on the QoS tab?
I remember playing with that section and getting unusually slow results.
poflynn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips, I implemented both and it started working after I unplugged my USB drive! I went from somewhere between 0 & 30 KBps to 90 Mbps! I did have the drive sitting on top of the router and its short unshielded cable curled in a circle also on top of the router. The odd thing is I just plugged it back in now and it is still working fine, maybe the cable was touching the antenna or something, entirely possible.

I'm shocked it would have had such a massive impact. I'm also slightly worried it'll come back as it seems fine right with the drive in again but we'll see. Thanks for the tips guys.
pedrohsk1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is DD-WRT working 100% well with this poflynn router?
poflynn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running DD-WRT on my R7000 for about six months. I didn't always have a USB drive plugged in however... In that 6 months, other than this issue, it has been flawless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: