Meaning of IN and OUT on Bandwidth Display

skthetwo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 13:11    Post subject: Meaning of IN and OUT on Bandwidth Display Reply with quote
I'm trying to ensure that I'm not misunderstanding the bandwidth monitoring display. I _think_ that the following graphs indicate that:
0. data is coming IN from the LAN ( my other PCs ) INTO the router at 54 Kbps and going OUT from the router to the LAN ( to the other PCs ) at 1.45 Mbps

1. data is coming IN from the WAN ( the outside world so to speak ) INTO the router at 1.98 Mbps, and going OUT from the router to the WAN at 60 Kbps.

It would reassure me if my interpretation, and I would then chase other way to push up my end-to-end downloads, including switching to another ISP ( claimed speed is 5 Mbps ) but I don't want to be deluded and first make sure I'm understanding things at my end.

Separately, wget, the remote file get program, hanged with my DIR-615 C1 ( even with updated firmware), but a direct connection from the broadband into a PC did not, which is why I switched to DD-WRT and it solved the problem !

WanTraffic.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.7 KB
 Viewed:  8852 Time(s)

WanTraffic.png

LANTraffic.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.65 KB
 Viewed:  8852 Time(s)

LANTraffic.png

Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
your interpretation is correct :)

WAN
in = download speed
out = upload speed

but i would use a better test than the webgui for measuring speed.. ie speedtest.net

list of optware packages
broadcom announcements, peacock and recommended builds
gotop4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
To get high speed use some internet booster...Also you can use the website www.ip-details.com for free of cost to check in/out data speed.Here select the internet speed test option,you will be getting a tab called "begin test".Click on that then you can find your internet upload/download speed.
skthetwo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08    Post subject: Speed Tests and ISPs Reply with quote
Thanks guys.. Indeed, when discussing this speed issue with the ISP support staff, I've used speedtest.net, specifically the one they prefer - http://nco.speedtest.skybeam.com/

We go to and fro on this at the moment. When we've done tests with them on the phone - I get widely varying speed test results - anywhere between 2 and 3.5. Unfortunately, the couple of times we've done it with the modem directly connected to the PC, we got about 0.5 Mbps extra than an immediately preceding test with the router in the way.. So naturally they are tending towards finding the router as a source of a drain on the speed.

I'm not so sure - I've done tests on my one with the router inline and I get speeds as low as .75 Mbps to as high as 4.5 Mbps (at 3 am in the morning:-) ), so I personally think its THEM.
The spikiness of the speeds, as per the graphs changing second to second is interesting too I think ( I also see it at the PC end - wget reports continually changing file transfer speeds) - is it fragmentation, misaligned buffer sizes or some such esoteric stuff ?

I emailed the ISP that WAN graph today - asking them to think about why its so spikey. So let's see.
Incidentally, the fact that dd-wrt had that monitoring graph was great - I can show that what the speed are behaving like between the router and the broadband connection point.

Thanks for reassuring me that I was reading the graph correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: