Need new Router or AP what to get?

brianjonesphoto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:59    Post subject: Need new Router or AP what to get? Reply with quote
I desperately need a solution to my wifi problems. I'm having constant signal/packet drop issues. It's the worst on my Macbook pro, but I notice it on my wife's pc laptop, and the pc in the garage. I usually have to manually reconnect to the network every 15 minutes or so.

Here's a quick rundown of how the network is set up.

Server cabinet:
Comcast Modem
DI-624 with radio turned off 3 hardwired t-100 devices and an 8 port gig switch. I'm using it to do firewall tasks, dns relay and port forwarding
Win 2k3 server acting as DC, DNS and DHCP

Entertainment center located dead center in the middle of single story house"
WBR-1310 hardwired to gig switch. I'm using this as an AP and switch. I've tried different channels and nothing has made a noticeable improvement.

Only the MBP is N compatible at this point and I doubt I will upgrade the wifi other computers anytime soon. I don't know if I really need the bandwidth of the N either. If I ever need to transfer large amount of data from the MBP I use firewire

I was thinking about a WRT54GL, but only because I've set one up with DD-WRT in the past for a friend. It's been a couple years since I set up the WRT54GL so I would imagine that things have change a bit since then.

Thanks
Sponsor
brianjonesphoto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a bit more reading it looks like the AR670W might be the one for me. Any reasons not to go with this unit?
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
brianjonesphoto wrote:
After a bit more reading it looks like the AR670W might be the one for me. Any reasons not to go with this unit?

Great price, decent specs. Only downside to this router IMHO is that it can be quirky if you try to set it up as a client bridge or repeater. Works great as an AP! When you install DD-WRT on it, do NOT use the one from the router database, it will disable all your LAN ports and you'll have to do a risky flash over the wireless in order to fix it!

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
brianjonesphoto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
When you install DD-WRT on it, do NOT use the one from the router database, it will disable all your LAN ports and you'll have to do a risky flash over the wireless in order to fix it!

Which version of the firmware should I use then?

Thanks
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
brianjonesphoto wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:
When you install DD-WRT on it, do NOT use the one from the router database, it will disable all your LAN ports and you'll have to do a risky flash over the wireless in order to fix it!

Which version of the firmware should I use then?

Thanks

I know that 13637 seems to work well on that unit.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/01-16-10-r13637/airlink101-ar670w/airlink-factory-webflash.bin

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: