WRT54GL Replacement, I want gbit speed..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
toffie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 22:21    Post subject: WRT54GL Replacement, I want gbit speed.. Reply with quote
Hey all,

I havent seen anywhere that DD-WRT can't or don't support gigabit speeds,
so therefore I'm wondering if someone got an idea on what to get if you want
gigabit speed, but the "functionality" of WRT54GL.

I'm not much after the wireless, that can still be as on the WRT54GL, I dont care..

But I would like the WAN speed to get up to gigabit, or close. Is it possible and is there any routers
available that can handle the speed? With DD-WRT.

Anyone got any ideas?
Sponsor
mooninite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT610N v1 or v2. Both work with the K2.6 builds. Both support gigabit on all ports.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL Replacement, I want gbit speed.. Reply with quote
toffie wrote:
Hey all,

I havent seen anywhere that DD-WRT can't or don't support gigabit speeds,
so therefore I'm wondering if someone got an idea on what to get if you want
gigabit speed, but the "functionality" of WRT54GL.

I'm not much after the wireless, that can still be as on the WRT54GL, I dont care..

But I would like the WAN speed to get up to gigabit, or close. Is it possible and is there any routers

Anyone got any ideas?

It is not necessarily about what DD-WRT will 'support', it is more about what your hardware supports. The WRT600n (as well as the WRT610n) have gigabit switches in them. What this means is DD-WRT is really not involved that much with "LAN" traffic. Therefore, all of your local network traffic would travel at gigabit speeds using the switch and gigabit network cards.

WAN traffic will never see gigabit speeds unless you actually pay for that kind of speed.

If you can find one, a WRT600n is also a good pick. They are not manufactured any more, but are worth quite a bit.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 23:52    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL Replacement, I want gbit speed.. Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
toffie wrote:

WAN traffic will never see gigabit speeds unless you actually pay for that kind of speed.

WAN throughput will never reach gigabit rate on current Broadcom based consumer grade hardware even with a gigabit WAN port. The CPU simply can not route anywhere near gigabit rate. With the few models that have ~500MHz CPU's you will only reach about 100mbps (slightly more iirc).

If you really want full gigabit routing then you should use professional hardware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: