I think I'm bricked (WRT160Nv3)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
goldbedr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 22:57    Post subject: I think I'm bricked (WRT160Nv3) Reply with quote
Initially, I used dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3.bin. This was working decently for a few days and then I started to lose online connection while I was at work and my Wife had to reset things. I asked earlier about updating, and was told "read these posts, they're self explanatory"

I read the peacock post, which says that once you've used one of the "trailed builds" with the router name, you can switch to generic builds.

I used brainslayer dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin as recommended by the redhawk announce in this forum. After flashing, the power/wan lights didn't come back on after 5 minutes, and I let it sit a whole 45 minutes before finally hitting continue. The page timed out, and the lights still didn't come on.

I did a 30/30/30 reset, which gave me just a solid power light, but I still couldn't connect to 192.168.1.1. Now, when I plug it in, I get no lights.

Can anyone help me, please? I'm a little upset about this, since I basically asked if I should do this and wasn't given a yes or no which may have helped me avoid this.
Sponsor
jmounts79
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
do any of the Switch leds light up?

generally when the power LED is solid and you cannot recover via the known methods you have to use JTAG to load a working image to the router.

a JTAG cable can be bought from Ebay pretty cheap, and the headerpins on the Router can be attached for about 5 bucks if you can find someone whos trust worthy to do it near you, else there are a select few on the forum that do offer services, might want to ask around.

that is if you are not that great with a solder iron.

or you can pursue an RMA if your unit is still under warranty. I have yet to get Linksys/Cisco to refuse a rebuild on an RMA(they just reflash the router with their latest known code and ship it back, as long as the NVram/Bios Chips are intact)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're screwed..

You failed to read and understand that your router will only run K26 builds (linux kernel version 26.~), you flashed a K24 kernel version.

There are a few posts about the forum in regards to recovery via voodoo.

You need to recover via a serial console hookup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmounts79 wrote:
do any of the Switch leds light up?

generally when the power LED is solid and you cannot recover via the known methods you have to use JTAG to load a working image to the router.

a JTAG cable can be bought from Ebay pretty cheap, and the headerpins on the Router can be attached for about 5 bucks if you can find someone whos trust worthy to do it near you, else there are a select few on the forum that do offer services, might want to ask around.

that is if you are not that great with a solder iron.

or you can pursue an RMA if your unit is still under warranty. I have yet to get Linksys/Cisco to refuse a rebuild on an RMA(they just reflash the router with their latest known code and ship it back, as long as the NVram/Bios Chips are intact)

jtag is not supported on this router atm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
See, this is why I'm a little upset. I was told to read the announcements. I asked specifically which builds to use for my router, and was told to just use the generic ones by the announcements....

Does it matter I ping it and get a tts 100 response? Can I use tftp to recover? I've not tried yet, but I don't want to go through it if it's not going to work.
jmounts79
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
that sucks that JTAG isnt supported on the hardware yet. didnt know that.

as for the Ping, follow the TFTP recovery options in the Wiki, its very specific and may work.

basically, setup a continuous ping to the router, setup your tftp client with the k26 image, power off the router, as soon as you plug it in hit the upload button on the TFTP client.

also, set the retries to 99 so that it wont stop trying after 3 attempts.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
goldbedr wrote:
See, this is why I'm a little upset. I was told to read the announcements. I asked specifically which builds to use for my router, and was told to just use the generic ones by the announcements....

Does it matter I ping it and get a tts 100 response? Can I use tftp to recover? I've not tried yet, but I don't want to go through it if it's not going to work.

Maybe.. That is a good sign that you are getting a ttl.

Most of the V3's that get sent to me, they are done. No ttl's.

I would try to tftp the stock linksys firmware for your device.. Then install dd-wrt again.

Good luck..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried tftp-ing for a while, but no dice. I'm going to try from work where I have windows XP, and otherwise just RMA it.

In the future, if I replace it and try again, I need to use dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3?
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
goldbedr wrote:

There are MANY different generic builds. What you needed to use when you changed once dd-wrt is installed is a K26 generic build as opposed to a trailed build that was only for initial flashing. Redhawk's post recommends 13525 for k26. And in your previous post seeking guidance all of the alternatives you asked about were k26. Then you flashed a k24 which you couldn't on that router.

There isn't a specific build that you should use for your router. The differences between builds, which you appeared to be asking about, is explained in note 4 of the peacock. But you did have to choose ONE of the many k26 builds for that router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
goldbedr wrote:
I tried tftp-ing for a while, but no dice. I'm going to try from work where I have windows XP, and otherwise just RMA it.

In the future, if I replace it and try again, I need to use dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3?

You can fix it with a serial <=> ttl adapter.. The 160 are a pita cuz no serial connection in the wan port. You gotta take the box apart.

If I were you, I'd fix it instead of rma'ing it. You might need to do it again somewhere down the road. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The parts and shipping to fix it will cost more than the RMA, and as long as I use the right version next time, I'll be done messing with it anyway.

So, I ask again: with this router, what is the most recent, stable, best known firmware to install, and where can I find it?

The reason I got bricked was because I asked a direct question and not given a direct answer, so I'm being a little more direct this time so I don't make another mistake that could have been easily avoided.

I'm thankful for the advice and help I've been given on fixing, so please don't think I'm not. Just always get really frustrated whenever I screw something up and it's my fault.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
goldbedr wrote:
So, I ask again: with this router, what is the most recent, stable, best known firmware to install, and where can I find it?

There is no "answer" to this question. DD-wrt is a WIP and the K26 builds are even more so. You NEED "a" k26 build. That can be said with certainty. The closest you will get to the "best" is what has been suggested in Redhawk0's recommended build announcement. But you are asking for facts when all that exists are differing opinions.

None of the available k26 builds should brick your router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
goldbedr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt.v24-13527_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt160nv3.bin

Can I use that one to do the initial flash whenever I get the router back from RMA?
leadboots5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, that will work fine.
goldbedr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, I'd feel better if Barryware responded it was ok.

My new policy is not to take advice at face value from someone on forums who has less than 500-1000 posts :/
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: