New Belkin Routers (04/2010)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
ClwFLGator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, after sorting through Belkin's nearly useless marketing garbage and [url=http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7227/~/what-is-my-router's-family-name-and-model-number%3F]model numbers[/url] (<-not sure why that didn't parse), I believe I have found my own answer.

I think that what they are now calling the "Play N600" (= Play = 4302/8302?) and 'Play N600 HD" (= Play Max = 4301/8301?) have quad antennae, and are dual band, supporting 5GHz in addition to the regular 2.4GHz, and what they are calling the N300, the "Share"/3302/7302 and "Share Max"/3301/7301 DO NOT have the 5 GHz band.

The other points I mentioned above (models ending in 01 having (2) USB ports instead of one, and gigabit ethernet) appear to be true as well.

So, because the 5 GHz band is not important to me, but the 2x USB and gigabit ethernet are, I guess I will be looking at the 3301/7301 "Share Max." Amirite? If so, that would suit me fine, as I think these are now going around $30 (as opposed to around $50 for the "Play Max"/4301/8301.

Anyone who owns one (or more) of these, and/or possess a better understanding of the product line than I, by all means please chime in (and preferably before I pull the trigger on ordering! Wink)
Sponsor
Dougz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
There seems to be a glut of this family of Belkin routers on the market. The 7301s are available on eBay for $25 shipped if you use an auction rather than Buy it Now. The dual band/2USB version was available on 1saleaday.com recently for $30 shipped. They didn't sell out, so they will be back there or at Ben's outlet.
There is a thread with Best DIY in the title that has a lot of discussion about the 7301 and install instructions. The page from fatwallet.com in a recent post about belkin routers has install links for DD-WRT and Tomato.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1182506/?start=0
There's a lot of discussion there from last April to present.
It's not always clear what FW version is best; it depends upon what you need to do.
I haven't put DD-WRT on mine yet. For me, it does a passable job with the latest Belkin FW, but I'm going to try DD-WRT or Tomato one of these days

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 16:25    Post subject: Wireless Printing on a Mac?? Reply with quote
Hey all,

I currently have a Belkin F7D8301 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 big build 17084. I am trying to get my HP Deskjet F380 to print via a wireless connection (USB plugged into back of the router), but it will not work for Mac. It works fine when I boot into Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and have it installed as a TCP/IP printer. When I try to install in the same way on Mac OS X (10.6), it will connect, but refuse to print. Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss. I've looked through the wireless printing wiki, but to no avail. Also, don't think this matters, but the router is set up as a wireless repeater bridge and not an access point. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!
bericp1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 23:41    Post subject: Still unable to flash any dd-wrt firmware on F7D8302v1 Reply with quote
So, I've been at this for a few days now trying to get dd-wrt on the F7D8302v1. I've tried flashing (both from CFE and Belkin's web GUI) all of the firmware versions shown in the attached screenshot but with no luck.

In CFE, I get "not a valid firmware image" and in Belkins web GUI I get the same thing. Ive even renamed the files so that they start (and even end) in F7D8302 (and even F7D9302v1) as seen in the screenshot but no matter what, the router will not accept any firmware.

I really, really would like to replace the belkin firmware on this router with dd-wrt and then probably tomato. I would really appreciate some help from someone.

Thanks in advance.

attempts.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.02 KB
 Viewed:  44260 Time(s)

attempts.PNG

Dougz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you see this thread? http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=707255#707255
There is a lot of more current discussion about firmware installation. There is some info on page 11 (or abouts) and more down the thread. You should probably browse lightly from the start.

Re getting things to work, this is just a thought, but maybe if you try reloading the current belkin FW, then you can move on with DD-WRT. As I remember reading, Tomato does not specifically support this family, but people have got it to work well. If you go that route, read carefully as there are some pitfalls. I don't have either on Belkin, but I'll probably start with a DD-WRT version recommended farther back in the thread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:14    Post subject: Re: Got Belkin f7d3302 v1000 to work with DD-WRT firmware. Reply with quote
I saw a F7D7302 at Ross Dress for Less for $20 and I went and searched for DD-WRT support on my smartphone. The wiki said that it was supported, so I figured what the heck.

I had to do some searching before I found this thread, because the F7D7302 wasn't in the router database. Once I read the posts that the F7D7*** were the same as the F7D3*** just plus 400, I used steps 1-13 below to install DD-WRT before putting it into use. The guide below worked great for me! I have not tried the steps above 13 but probably will at some point.

My phone connection datarate was at 24 or 36 Mbit all the time with my old router but now I get a 72Mbit rate all the time on N and I get around 15Mbit throughput using the Android speedtest.net app. I'm happy with the $20 I spent to upgrade from G to N. No it doesn't have 5ghz but I don't think it really is that critical for my usage.

Just wanted to report my success in case it's useful to anyone.

Anyway, carry on...

coolquasar wrote:
Okay, I successfully installed DD-WRT in my Belkin f7d3302 v1000.

Below is my experience

1) Downloaded the
Code:
Mini: dd-wrt.v24-16773_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3302.bin

Mega: dd-wrt.v24-16773_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin

2) Connected the router via wired LAN to my Macbook, static network parameters
Code:
IP: 192.168.2.8
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1

3) Booted the router to CFE min webserver

Code:
Hold down the reset button on the back of the router, while keppin it held, plug the power in, and still keep the button pressed for 10 seconds. While still holding it, point the browser (IE v8) to http://192.168.2.1 . CFE Mini webserver should be loaded, if not repeat the process all over.

4) From here, select the Mini firmware file downloaded (dd-wrt.v24-16773_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d3302.bin) and click upload and waited for it to reboot.
(After the firmware starts to upload, please get away from your place. Resettin or Rebootin the router will brick the device)

5) After 10 mins, router was running. Visited http://192.168.1.1 and I could see the dd-wrt router page. (First level of success!!!!)

6) Assigned a new user name and password.

7) Clicked Setup->Basic setup and configured it for my ISP. (Static IP connection, as my router connects to an ADSL modem)

8. Clicked "Save" and "Apply Settings". Checked If am online, but unfortunately not.

9) Did a 30/30/30
Code:
Hold Reset Button 30 secs, unplug power with reset button still held in... keep power out for 30, and plug power back in while still holding the reset for 30 more seconds

10) Checked the internet and it was working. (Second level of success!!!!)

11) Navigated to Administration->Firmware Upgrade->Selected the Mega bin downloaded previously (dd-wrt.v24-16773_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin) and clicked upgrade. (Now again, please get away from your place. Resettin or Rebootin the router will brick the device)

12) After 10 mins, router was running. Visited http://192.168.1.1 and I could see the dd-wrt router page. (Thrid level of success!!!!)

13) Internet was still working Smile Smile

Basic dd-wrt firmware flashin is done and router is up. Now, you may navigate to various places in router page and needed options can be selected.
Goto Services->Services->"Secure Shell". Enable SShd for SSH access (via putty/winSCP)

14) Installed Optware utilities (Check Optware the right way). Configured Samba server (Check Samba tutorial at Wiki). (Fourth level of success!!!)

15) Configured Transmission for torrent downloads. (Check Transmission tutorial in wiki)

16) Unplugged my external hard drive and plugged in the 3G USB modem. Navigated to Setup->Basic Setup, in WAN connection type, selected "3G/UMTS" and configured it as per my 3G network and voila, within few seconds, I could access the internet (with my macbook connected to the router via Wifi 802.11n only mode)

17) Surprisingly, there was an issue with date and time maintained in the router.

18. Enabled the NTP client and chose my UTC settings, saved and rebooted.

19) Could not access the 192.168.1.1, router page via Wifi. So disabled, Wifi and connected to router via wired LAN and checked for 192.168.1.1. I could access the router page after 10 mins. But, clock hadn't synced yet.

20) Searched the dd-wrt forum and got a ntp server,
Code:
time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov

Specified this in the NTP time settings, saved and reboot. I could access the router, and the time was set to current.

Now, I need some help scheduling torrent downloads, using Transmission and also to get the transmission keep running between reboots. Please help me here.

Overall, It was a great experience installing and configuring DD-WRT firmware into my Belkin router. Its out of the box support for 3G/UMTS actually surprised me. Samba support is also great. Great going guys!!!!
raovgarimella
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 16:31    Post subject: dd-wrt on F7D7302 v1 Reply with quote
Just wanted to share my experience loading dd-wrt on a Belkin Share N300 (F7D7302 v1) router. I tried the following steps (shortened)

1. Reset to factory defaults
2. Do a 30-30-30 reset
3. Set computer static IP to 192.168.2.8
4. Get to CFE minibrowser page
3. Load the Eko mini build for f7d7302 (http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d7302.bin)

I could get to the minibrowser page but could not get the firmware to upload to the router.
I also tried the tftp method to no avail
Somewhere in there I even tried clear NVRAM values from the CFE minibrowser.

Fortunately, I was always able to get back to the Belkin page.

Finally in desperation, fearing I had rendered my router useless, I used the "Upgrade firmware" page from the Belkin router home page and used the mini-build file indicated above and Voila! I got the firmware uploaded. From there I was able to upload the mega build and now I am in business.
chucklesjh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, I've successfully flashed dd-wrt on my parents' Belkin Play F7D4302, and for some reason I can't get the 2.4GHz radio to work. 5GHz works fine. Any ideas? My Play Max on dd-wrt works perfectly.

edit: Alrighty, redownloaded and reflashed 18946M big build and reset to factory defaults. 2.4GHz is working fine now. AFAIK the Play doesn't do simultaneous dual-band, so I'm not going to worry about the 5GHz radio, parents won't use it anyway.
redline8400
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:18    Post subject: 5 ghz band 4302 Reply with quote
Although it might be evident to some reading this thread, I managed to get both bands working (2.4 and 5ghz) on my f7d4302 by choosing the correct channel for the 5ghz band which is supported in my country. The auto setting might not be choosing the correct channel for your location. 5ghz channels used in the USA are not the same used in the EU if I'm not mistaken. I'm based in the UK and I had to choose channel 120. Hopefully this well help someone out...
MKEGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question for any Belkin owners or anyone that just happens to know!

I'm looking at one of these routers and want to upgrade it to dd-wrt. I'm finally understanding that either the F78301 or F78302v1 both work under this firmware as much as at first I was worried that 8302 information I found seemed to be all linked to problems or it not working. So now that I'm past that hurdle my question is down to does it matter if I have a 8301 or an 8302? Gigabit would be ok... but I'm almost never going to hardwire... its all wireless. I'm more interested in speed, stability, and the ability to network a hard drive and possibly a printer. If I wanted to do both, does that mean I HAVE to get a 8301 with two usb ports? Or Could I get away with a 8302v1 and use a hub?

Please help!
MKEGuy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just purchased an F7D8301 so the above question can be ignored. And help on which mini then mega build to go to would be greatly appreciated though!
Mubs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need a trailed build for your first flash, that means its gotta have the name of your router in the file name. once thats done you can flash any compatible image.

read back a couple of pages. all the info is there.

I have a questions of my own, How do I know which builds are compatible with the 4302?

I just want to use my router as an NAS device. What do you folks recommend? Is Kong mod any good for this sort of thing?

Cheers.
CajunWon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Last edited by CajunWon on Wed Jan 09, 2013 0:39; edited 1 time in total
Mubs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anybody know what the telnet mount script is for this router?

Can't seem to get it to recognize my hdd.
gundamseedw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was using F7D8302 (a.k.a F7D4302) stock firmware from Belkin, and the wifi is really unstable, it will stuck for 4~5 times every day and requiring a reboot.

So i looked up DD-WRT and decided to flash to eko's http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_f7d8302.bin

first i tried 30/30/30 reset and it brought me to webCFE. Right after i click the upload button, the IE says "Internet explorer cannot find bla bla...". tried several times and it didnt help.

Then I decided to flash from Belkin's menu and it worked! I've read from google and several posts here saying to do a 30/30/30 but i didnt, cuz some of them bricked the router after doing post-flash 30/30/30.

Everything seems to work fine except the WIFI lan rate, it's running at only 65Mbps for 2ghz and 104Mbps for 5ghz (sometimes higher by a few Mbps). Tried some workarounds and found that a regular reset (not 30/30/30) fixed that, it's now 300Mbps on both channels.

DD-WRT rocks! the wifi signals are so stable and the 2ghz channel is alot faster than the stock firmware.
Using the stock firmware the 2ghz channel gives me 8-10mbps on speedtest (I am on Comcast 25mbps). After flashing to DD-WRT the 2ghz gives 20-23mbps on speedtest.

Also, I tried several different TX Power and 40 seems to work best for me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 30 of 32
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: