Can I use a dd-wrt client bridge in the following network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kallsey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 19:23    Post subject: Can I use a dd-wrt client bridge in the following network? Reply with quote
My existing network consists of a Cisco RV016 router and a Linksys WAP-4400N wireless N access point. I also have a WRT54G2 v1 router with the 12548 Eko micro build. Everything seems to be working fine.

*BUT*

I need a wired connection at another location in the same building - neither running cables nor installing a wireless NIC are an option. Can I use my WRT54G2 as a client bridge? I did try following the client/repeater bridge instructions in the wiki.

No joy...

Is it possible to do the above, or am I just being an idiot?

Thanks
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The G2 router is a G only (b/g only actually). It will not connect to an N AP if the AP is set for N only.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
The G2 router is a G only (b/g only actually). It will not connect to an N AP if the AP is set for N only.

The 4400N's wireless network mode is set to Mixed and its IP address is still at the factory default 192.168.1.245 - no dhcp server at all

The G2 is also set to mixed and has the same SSID and security settings as the 4400N - in client bridge mode only. Note that is not being used in the network at present.

The RV016 is the main router with its dchp server assigning addresses from .100 to .149
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
no reason it shouldn't work.

what encryption are you using?

did you reset the client device back to defaults before configuring it as a bridge?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

did you reset the client device back to defaults before configuring it as a bridge?

Encryption = WPA2 Personal

I upgraded the firmware on the G2 just prior to attempting the connection so I think it was set back to the default.

I am wondering if my problem is with the IP assignments? Is the DG for the client device the IP of the 4400N or that of the RV016? I am very new to this much networking. Feel free to break everything down into the basics, or to point me to something I should go read.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kallsey wrote:
barryware wrote:

I upgraded the firmware on the G2 just prior to attempting the connection so I think it was set back to the default.

I am wondering if my problem is with the IP assignments? Is the DG for the client device the IP of the 4400N or that of the RV016? I am very new to this much networking. Feel free to break everything down into the basics, or to point me to something I should go read.

wpa2 personal + what? I hope aes.
the dg of the bridge is the internet gateway (your main router, dhcp server), not the IP if the AP.

set up the client bridge as if it were just a wireless nic cuz that is what it is.. do not "join" the network. set it up. save, apply, then power cycle. When it boots, it should connect to the AP. If it dos not and the wireless light is steady blinking, it isn't connected and is probably and encryption problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kallsey wrote:
barryware wrote:

If you're not sure then do a 30/30/30 and then start over. Get it working without encryption first, then add encryption. Read the wiki page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged. What is a DG? IP assignments shouldn't be your problem, set the G2 to an unused IP address in the same subnet as the 4400N.

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
DG = Default Gateway

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="barryware"][quote="kallsey"]
barryware wrote:

wpa2 personal + what? I hope aes.
the dg of the bridge is the internet gateway (your main router, dhcp server), not the IP if the AP.

set up the client bridge as if it were just a wireless nic cuz that is what it is.. do not "join" the network. set it up. save, apply, then power cycle. When it boots, it should connect to the AP. If it dos not and the wireless light is steady blinking, it isn't connected and is probably and encryption problem.

Problem solved!

It was the encryption.

thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: