Restore the original firmware of Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Estagiário louco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31    Post subject: Restore the original firmware of Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Reply with quote
Hello There!
I'm a brazilian trainee and i'm in a project for a federal technological school that consists in flash the original Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 firmware to a DD-WRT one, and after that, undo the process. There's my problem... I've followed all the DD-WRT Wikis. I've download the Buffalo German Version Firmware non encrypted, tried to flash by the graphical interface of DD-WRT, tried with TFTP... and nothing, i had not success in reinstalling the Buffalo firmware... i just could (after bricking) put the DD-WRT again.. but that's not my intension at all.... please help me, it is for academical ends!!

Thanks from Brazil!
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once the unit is flashed, how are you trying to revert? Like trying to load buffalo's .enc firmware through the dd-wrt web gui and tftp it?

I would try this, once dd-wrt is on the unit, simply telnet into the unit and from command line do these following lines.

mtd erase linux
reboot

This will set the router into tftp, after the reboot, your power led may be blinking, meaning tftp is intialized, once that is in place, then try to tftp the buffalo firmware to it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
mtd erase linux
reboot

This will set the router into tftp, after the reboot, your power led may be blinking, meaning tftp is intialized, once that is in place, then try to tftp the buffalo firmware to it.

Sorry to be on your ass, but this is, again, bad advice. There is no reason to use the dangerous Mtd command. Buffalos revert to 192.168.11.1.

I believe there are safe revert instructions in the wiki. If I have a moment I will check, but this advice is dangerous.

Edit: Appears you have to use 192.168.11.2 to flash tftp from. See this link:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash#Buffalo_WHR-HP-G54_soft_repair

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ReadtheAnnouncements! wrote:
buddee wrote:
mtd erase linux
reboot

Sorry to be on your ass, but this is, again, bad advice. There is no reason to use the dangerous Mtd command. Buffalos revert to 192.168.11.1.

I believe there are safe revert instructions in the wiki. If I have a moment I will check, but this advice is dangerous.

Edit: Appears you have to use 192.168.11.2 to flash tftp from. See this link:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash#Buffalo_WHR-HP-G54_soft_repair

Gotcha, Also some more bad advice, Most of that procedure is for a bricked router, i do not believe that this persons router is bricked.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Most of that procedure is for a bricked router, i do not believe that this persons router is bricked.

No it's not. It is the tftp process for a buffalo router to install oem firmware. Which happens to be exactly what the OP was asking about. And my point is that he has to tftp from 192.168.11.x. with that router.

I am quite aware that his router is not bricked. TFTP will not work on a bricked router. Only serial or jtag will. And my linked thread isn't about de-bricking. It's about using tftp on a buffalo. You need to read more carefully before you post.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
Estagiário louco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peopple, sorry for being so late... i've been working on all of this processes that you said me to do, and guess what? Nothing gone right the way i've wanted it to be. Do you know if anyone ever did this restore? Man it's getting hard, I think if could not do with the Buffalo, I'll try with a Linksys one, what do you think?

Well, sorry one more time for the time I left this post unnactive but, anyway, i apreciate so much your help.

My thanks and apologies!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I get time tonight, I'll try to revert my HP-G54. I am on the road traveling this week...but my travel repeater is an HP-G54....so you're in luck.

I'll try the revert tonight after work and get back to you.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the meantime...here is the reversion file I have...it is NOT the german version.

it is supposed to flash directly. You can try it if you like...if you want to wait for me tonight...that's ok too.

redhawk

WHR-HP-G54-1.40-ENG.BIN
 Description:
buffalo reversion file.

Download
 Filename:  WHR-HP-G54-1.40-ENG.BIN
 Filesize:  3.69 MB
 Downloaded:  3662 Time(s)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...its verified.

hard reset the dd-wrt loaded router.
Flash the file provided above using dd-wrt Administration>>Firmware Upgrade tab.
When it finishes flashing...wait 5 minutes
power cycle the router...it will boot up in Buffalo FW.
Login with UN/PW = root/<leave blank>
Hard reset again....then configure to your liking.

here are 2 screen shots after I did the above.

Good luck on your project

redhawk

home.jpg
 Description:
Buffalo Home page.
 Filesize:  142.73 KB
 Viewed:  33010 Time(s)

home.jpg

sys-info.jpg
 Description:
Buffalo System Info page.
 Filesize:  157.46 KB
 Viewed:  33010 Time(s)

sys-info.jpg

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It really worked, pal! Very Happy

I could finally do it! Thank you very much, redhawk... you helped me a lot! Now I can finish this project!

Thank you so much again!

Brazilian hugs for you!!
Muse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
OK...its verified.

hard reset the dd-wrt loaded router.
Flash the file provided above using dd-wrt Administration>>Firmware Upgrade tab.
When it finishes flashing...wait 5 minutes
power cycle the router...it will boot up in Buffalo FW.
Login with UN/PW = root/<leave blank>
Hard reset again....then configure to your liking.

here are 2 screen shots after I did the above.

Good luck on your project

redhawk
Please forgive me resurrecting this thread, however I'm about to do the above according to your instructions. Redhawk (or anyone): How precisely do I "hard reset" my dd-wrt loaded WHR-HP-G54?

DD-WRT makes me enter username and password to access the Administration tab. After the reset my name and password are as they were or the original defaults? If the latter, they are what? root/admin ??

TIA...
Muse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, a search brought me this post:
- -
Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)

This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Do not use configuration restore if you change firmware builds (different svn build numbers).

[NOTE] - For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle. The only exception (so far) is the RT-N16 model, follow the same method as stated above but use the WPS button instead of the Restore button. If all else fails to reset you can also do it by command line (all units). Login to the router via telnet/ssh and issue the command "erase nvram". This will reset the nvram partition to defaults for this Make of router.....redhawk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: