Bricked ASUS WL300G?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Long Haired Git
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:10    Post subject: Bricked ASUS WL300G? Reply with quote
Okay, so was flashing my router using TFTP2.exe and it said ok, but then almost immediately after i get "success" the wife switches off the kettle with the heater still on and booshka goes the fuse.

Swearing may have occurred. Crying or Very sad

So, here we are in brick mode.

On power on with LAN cable unplugged, the yellow power light comes on and stays on. No other lights.

Upon plugging the LAN cable to my PC, power light begins flashing at 1 Hz and remains doing that. The green light flashes a fair bit around 4hz, but stabilizes on after around 30 seconds.

Pinging the router using "ping -t 192.168.1.1 -w 10" returns:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Naturally when running Ping, the green LAN light flashes.

If I power off the router and reboot it whilst running the above Ping command, the results are shown below. Note: TTL=100 or 64 never comes up, only 128:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Hardware error.

Naturally, it doesn't respond to HTTP either.

Lastly, holding down the reset pin/button doesn't appear to have any effect.

Me thinks it is rooted and time for Ebay (at wifey's expense ) Very Happy
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:27    Post subject: Re: Bricked ASUS WL300G? Reply with quote
Long Haired Git wrote:

If I power off the router and reboot it whilst running the above Ping command, the results are shown below. Note: TTL=100 or 64 never comes up, only 128:

You are pinging yourself, similar to masturbation..

Your pc can not have the same ip address as the router, set the pc to 192.168.1.10

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not ruling out being an idiot, but:

IPCONFIG on my PC:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

The Ping results go on and off when i switch on and off the router.

????
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, should have notice you mentioning the wife, no need for pinging yourself Very Happy

Normally TTL=128 means that your pc's ethernet adapter is both the initiator and the receiver of the ping, hence my suggestion to change the ip of the pc.

It may be that your router is in recovery mode (Asus Recovery tool will communicate with it) and that recovery mode responds with TTL=128.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found ASUS CD, loaded into my PC with CDROM, but Windows 7. Many reboots but the utilities cannot see the unit.
Back to my little eePC, and download the utility from ASUS website. The restore utility now says it connects, but immediately says "upload fails".
This is, of course, progress as it means it IS connecting (and further proof why Windows XP is still the best Windows OS).
So, six trillion reboots of the router later and, perhaps more importantly, immediately following a reboot of the eeepc, it connects and uploads the only copy of the ASUS Flash I could find - wl300g_1.8.1.3_en.trx.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy :D

Next bit of joy is that this version's firmware does't have the normal login/password combo as per my manual or guides, instead it is <blank>/<admin> which just happens to be a combo I've had before and hence gave a try.

Woot, so it's true to never give up and keep trying and restarting whilst you're getting activity of some kind from the router.

Now, to flash this again. Cup of tea dearest?

P.S: Big thank you for the pointer! Fast + correct = win
Long Haired Git
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, thought I'd just finish this post with my experience in getting the thing to work, coz the thread is here and people searching may want to hear of my journey.

Anyway, after the last update, I had the router running ASUS firmware. The first thing is that it doesn't repond well to the 30/30/30 hard reboot. Doing such a reboot results in a router in recovery mode, which means it doesn't respond to the web browser and returns a TTL of 128. A normal reboot of the router returns it to operational status, with TTL's of 64 whenever it responds.

Next, in its current state, it won't respond to TFTP at all. Six trillion reboots of each end numerous times shows the router just is not listening to uploads of new firmware. This is confirmed with the ASUS webgui, in that uploading a new firmware just doesn't work, it always responds with Failed for either ASUS firmware or the DD-WRT trx file.

Combining the two paragraphs above yeilds a solution. Hard reboot and its in recovery mode, and then use the ASUS "Recovery" GUI to upload a BIOS. EXCEPT instead of the ASUS bios, I use the DD-WRT ASUS TRX file off the downloads page (and ban the wife from the kitchen).

Hello DD-WRT.

I use webgui to upload "dd-wrt.v24-13491_VINT_std.bin" which i hope is the best. I follow the instructions here as best i can: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
but I note two things:
1) I cannot find anywhere to set the date and time. Perhaps not supported on the WL300G? Or perhaps I am blind?
2) I cannot change the channel of the wireless radio. Where is this set? Anyway, I check using Status -> Wireless and the raidio is set to the right channel. Maybe I lucked it, or maybe it is looked up and locked on?

Regardless, this is being typed on my laptop with it's wireless radio off. Thanks DD-WRT, you rock.

P.S: Just a suggestion. The web gui is really slick and nice, but when I click Wireless -> Radius in my config I get a popup saying "Radius is only available in AP mode". I hate popups, and this info really should simply be in the Help pane.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why Vint? Also note that you need to power cycle asus routers after a 30/30/30 reset to clear the nvram.

See note 1 and 4 of the peacock. Wink

Good that you got it working though.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
Long Haired Git
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
>> Why Vint?

Coz the router database told me to, and i couldn't get to a console to run that nvram thingo to make sure. With a 10 Mbit LAN port, i call the unit as "old". I've since run that command via the ddwrt web gui and it appears to return "5", so yeah, it looks like it can run a more normal build.

Right now its working, and we all know the golden rule....

How can I help update the database?

>> Also note that you need to power cycle asus routers after a 30/30/30 reset to clear the nvram.

I went back and read the wiki, and sure enough it is there. Doh.

>> Good that you got it working though.

Not only is it working, but prior when running the ASUS bios the LAN port only worked if i set my PC NIC to 10 mbit. Now it reports to be running 100Mbit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: