{NOW SUPPORTED} - Hardware Request (NETGEAR WNR2000 v2)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 0:20    Post subject: {NOW SUPPORTED} - Hardware Request (NETGEAR WNR2000 v2) Reply with quote
see the very last post for the details

----------------

Hey all.

I've been searching around these and the openwrt forums looking for any information on this specific router (the second version). I cant find any and the device isint on the supported devices list.

So, as per the instructions here is all the necessary information.

Also, i'd be more than happy to post any more information you want / need. I have not opened the box up yet (and i might not be able to...). But if i can open this guy up, then i'll be happy to dump whatever i can get off the router.

-------
DEVICE NAME: WNR2000 v2
FCC-ID : Grantee Code: PY3 Product Code: 09100105

HIGH RES PICTURES: (link not allowed)

Sorry, i dont know the ram/flash sizes. However, i can tell you that the samsung chip that they have in pictures is 32 MB.

This is the best i could do. hopefully i'll be able to take the device apart soon and get you guys some more detailed information.

Last edited by darth_tater on Mon May 31, 2010 7:10; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hardware Version WNR2000v2
Firmware Version V1.0.0.34_29.0.45NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.34_0.5.0.0

HIGH RES PICTURES: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1169291&native_or_pdf=pdf
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shows in these pics that its Atheros based, 4mb flash, 32mb ram

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30615-netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n-router-reviewed

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
that link is from 2008. chances are, that its revision 1.

BUT, the picture they provide does not match the picture netgear has for version 1.

So that makes it hard to tell if the site is correct.

ALSO,

Look at the title of the review

and then look at this in the "at a glance" box

Product NETGEAR Wireless-N Router (WNDR3300)

the product numbers wnr2000 vs wndr3300 don't match.

Lastly, the pictures they posted look like they just screengrabbed over the PDF on file with the FCC. I trust the pictures on file with the FCC... which show that it is broadcom based.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
WNR2000v2 is indeed Broadcom based, the cpu is a BCM4716B0.

4MB serial flash, 32MB ram, BCM5325E 100MBit lan switch, 2pcs of Sige 2528 power amp/front end modules.

It is a common design, Linksys WRT160Nv3 among others is made from the same components so it is possible to get WNR2000v2 supported by dd-wrt whenever a developer has time for doing it.

Asus RT-N12 and D-Link DIR-605 are two other similar designs but they are even cheaper, they have excluded the Sige PA/FEM to save half a dollar on the manufacturing cost.

Last edited by LOM on Sun May 16, 2010 8:49; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
ahh my bad, i just got thrown off coz in the fcc link i didnt ever see it say it was a wnr2000v2

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

It is a common design, Linksys WRT160Nv3 among others is made from the same components so it is possible to get WNR2000v2 supported by dd-wrt whenever a developer has time for doing it.

Asus RT-N12 and D-Link DIR-605 are two other similar designs but they are even cheaper, they have excluded the Sige PA/FEM to save half a dollar on the manufacturing cost.

What work would need to be done in order to add support?

and what is Sige PA/FEM ?
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
did all that :)

except the jtag bits. Does anybodk know where the pins are? If so, I can open the device up no problem, but i cant risk taking the device off my network or bricking it.

if a dev can give me specific instructions on what they need / want me to do i *might* be able to get it done.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get yourself a USB to serial TTL cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Cable-Nokia-3585-CA-42/dp/B000BI4HQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1273611850&sr=8-1

cut off the phone connector and connect 3 wires to the serial port inside the router.

A serial boot log and a dump of the nvram is minimum of what is required for Eko to start work on it.
It may be enough with that since the WNR2000v2 is hardware identical to the WRT160Nv3.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I opened it up and could only see one possible location for a serial port. If it is serial... it could also be jtag.

anyways, heres the photos i took.

(edit) the uploader for this forum is crap, so here are the image shack links.

IMG00011-20100516-1100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.51 KB
 Viewed:  109750 Time(s)

IMG00011-20100516-1100.jpg

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
JP1 is likely the serial port connector, a jtag connector usually has 10-14 pins while the serial port usually has 4-5 pins.

There are 3 or 4 pins you need to connect, depending on the type of level converter you have.

GND, TX, and RX are mandatory and some level converters has to be powered from the router so they will need +3.3V

The rightmost pin in your last pic is either gnd or + 3.3V, you can see it from the "cross" connecting the pad with the big copper plane.
Usually, one side of the circuit board carries the ground in the big copper plane and the other side carries the + voltage.

So first you have to identify the 2 power pins and then look for 2 other pins which has thin traces going to the cpu, they will be the serial rx and tx.
Look at the other side of the cicrcuit board, is there a pad with a similar cross connected to the big copper plane there?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a ton for your help!

i'll see what i can do.
darth_tater
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also:

I can not afford to brick this router, so how will i know which pin is rx and which is tx? Will getting rx/tx confused fry the router or the ttl cabel?

i'll poke around with a voltimeter to try and find the proper Vss and ground pins.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router or the level converter cable are not that sensitive for wrong connections of rx and tx if it only is for a short time, I usually don't bother to think of which of them is which, I try. Very Happy

You connect those 2 cables as you think they should be and then you open up a serial terminal (hyperterm or putty for instance) in your computer before you power on the router.
If you don't see any text in the terminal window within 2 seconds after powering on the router then the connections are reversed.

Btw, I guess from the width of the trace going to the leftmost pin that it is the +3.3V but the pic is somewhat blurred so I can't say for sure.

Navigation

Jump to: