{NOW SUPPORTED} - Hardware Request (NETGEAR WNR2000 v2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Message
Catrinisin
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 02 Sep 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonathanm1978 wrote:

Also, I read somewhere when using a repeater that you sacrifice 1/2 the bandwidth, like 1/2 the download speed/upload speed to use the repeater..but I'm doing speedtests on this router and I'm hitting the same thing I hit when I'm connected straight to my Buffalo HP-G300N...

so does using a repeater cut the speed...or does it make a difference?


Yes using a router as a repeater does cut the wireless bandwidth in half. That does not necessarily mean that you will see a slowdown on your internet connection however.

For example:
WiFi is 54Mbit
Internet is 15 Mbit
Half of WiFi bandwidth is 27 MBit
27 MBit is still faster than your 15 Mbit internet connection. Thus your speed tests will still show the same speeds.

As for your failing hardware; using a router as a repeater should not hurt it or shorten it's life. Make sure you are periodically spraying out the dust if your router is susceptible to that in it's location.
Sponsor
loplo
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 19 May 2012
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've bricked my device upgrading from dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin to dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin. After a long research I've found [urlhttp://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81013]this[/url] tutorial and saved my hardware.
After unbricking I've tried many ways to get 18946 to work but each try ended with a brick.
So stay away from this version.
haggismn
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
loplo wrote:
I've bricked my device upgrading from dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin to dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin. After a long research I've found [urlhttp://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81013]this[/url] tutorial and saved my hardware.
After unbricking I've tried many ways to get 18946 to work but each try ended with a brick.
So stay away from this version.


I fell for this too. The maximum flash size for the WNR2000v2 is 3,473,408 bytes (3392KB). The latest release is too big, even though it is specified for this router. For openvpn-small, the latest version you can use is the r18740 version, which is exactly the maximum size. Everything after is also too big.

Alternatively you can decompress the firmware and remove unwanted files to free up room, then rebuild.
Anex
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also bricked my Same here, what a shame, luckily I had another in a box that I picked up just incase I bricked the first one, so now that is sitting on an older version.

Speaking of which, my second WNR2000v2 is sitting on "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) mini - build 15962"
But I seem to keep getting these strange Wireless issues where it drops the connection for a minute before coming back up, has happened everyday so far, has anyone else come across this problem?

I can't remember my last WNR2000v2 having the same problem but it was also on a later version, so possibly that fixes it, what is the newest version we can use that wont brick it?
black6spdz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 87

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is one little flaw in your calculations.. you forget the wireless overhead. You'll see roughly ~35% for 802.11g. So that 54Mb is about 20Mb/s wirespeed.. cut that in half from a repeater and you're looking at only 10Mb/s < 15Mb/s WAN speed.

Catrinisin wrote:
jonathanm1978 wrote:

Also, I read somewhere when using a repeater that you sacrifice 1/2 the bandwidth, like 1/2 the download speed/upload speed to use the repeater..but I'm doing speedtests on this router and I'm hitting the same thing I hit when I'm connected straight to my Buffalo HP-G300N...

so does using a repeater cut the speed...or does it make a difference?


Yes using a router as a repeater does cut the wireless bandwidth in half. That does not necessarily mean that you will see a slowdown on your internet connection however.

For example:
WiFi is 54Mbit
Internet is 15 Mbit
Half of WiFi bandwidth is 27 MBit
27 MBit is still faster than your 15 Mbit internet connection. Thus your speed tests will still show the same speeds.

_________________
DD-WRT w/ Superchannel, Ubiquiti RS Pro @800Mhz, Ubiquiti SR71-A a/n,g/n
pangus
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I fell for this too. The maximum flash size for the WNR2000v2 is 3,473,408 bytes (3392KB). The latest release is too big, even though it is specified for this router. For openvpn-small, the latest version you can use is the r18740 version, which is exactly the maximum size. Everything after is also too big.

Alternatively you can decompress the firmware and remove unwanted files to free up room, then rebuild.


I am newbie here. Could someone confirm?
2 flash limits were limited in this thread.

Should it be
3735552
rather than
3473408
bytes?

I believe someone have mentioned to install
dd-wrt.v24-15943_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin
3526656 bytes
successfully

BTW, how can I verify it?
yo1yo1
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I try dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin //it is bricked
Smile
which version is the latest std_nokaid_small ,
because i want to try IP v6.
ohplease
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
pangus wrote:

I am newbie here. Could someone confirm?
2 flash limits were limited in this thread.

Should it be
3735552
rather than
3473408
bytes?

I believe someone have mentioned to install
dd-wrt.v24-15943_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin
3526656 bytes
successfully


I just installed dd-wrt.v24-20119_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin which is 3.37 MB (3,538,944 bytes) onto my WNR2000V2. It didnt brick Smile
nl393a
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:05    Post subject: Build 20019 Reply with quote
Hi ohplease, please let me know if you flashed the build using a Netgear WNR2000v2? If so, have you encountered any issues so far?
Thank you.
ohplease
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:37    Post subject: Re: Build 20019 Reply with quote
nl393a wrote:
let me know if you flashed the build using a Netgear WNR2000v2?


Yes it works. I have used it only for a day but as long as it can accomodate the bin file size, which some had said it could not, then it is working.
nl393a
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 22:40    Post subject: Brains layer Build 20119 Reply with quote
Hi oh please,
Thank you for your response. I'm just surprised you haven't run into any issues (due to the 3.38 MB file size).
ohplease
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im not sure what I can do to convince you, lol. It is up to you what you want to do but I assure you it works.
nl393a
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 13:55    Post subject: 20119 BrainSlayer Build Reply with quote
Sorry I sounded skeptical:-( Just didn't want to brick my router:-)
I will give it a go tonight. Will let you know the outcome. Once again, thank you for corresponding.
rpadula
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Location: Brésil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone tried to flash 20548_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini?

same size as 20119 previously mentioned here, 3.538.944 bytes

anybody else tried to flash a file that big?
rpadula
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 12
Location: Brésil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
flashed 20548 with size 3.538.944 bytes and all went fine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum