Accurate Wireless Speed Tests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware

How do you test your wireless speed?
SpeedTest App
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Browser speed tests.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Iperf
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
I don't test and don't care.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Other: please specify with reply
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

mifronte
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 18:13    Post subject: Accurate Wireless Speed Tests Reply with quote
I am a novice at networking and would like to know how are those with more networking experiences accurately test their wireless speed?

My setup is a Netgear R7000 running Kong's DD-WRT v3.0-r29620M in AP mode. The 2.4GHz radio is turned off and the 5 GHz is configured as shown in the attached file. My main router is an Intel Atom processor C2758 running pfSense. My WAN connection is symmetrical gigabit fiber.

The fastest wireless devices I have is a Samsung Galaxy S5 802.11ac 2x2 (866Mbps) and then an 802.11n 2x2 (300Mbps) laptop. On the S5, I use the SpeedTest app and my downloads max at 170Mbps with uploads at 300Mbps. On the laptop, using the SpeedTest browser my download max at 170Mbps with upload max at 200MBps. The status table always shows the RX and TX for the S5 to be 866M and for the laptop to be 300M.

It seems for some reason my wireless downloads are hitting a ceiling of 170Mbps. So I decided to run som LAN->WLAN testing with iperf3.

I launched iperf3 on the AP and from my laptop I performed a test with the defaults. Again 170Mbps downloads and 200Mbps uploads. I installed Magic Iperf app on the S5 and ran with the defaults and the download was around 170Mbps. Interesting.

So I then decided to up the TCP window size to 1024k and ran 8 parallel connections. This is where I started to see more promises. On the 802.11ac 2x2 client, iperf was reporting downloads and uploads of about 320Mbps.

So is using iperf more accurate? Doesn't the SpeedTest app saturate the bandwidth? Is something else going on?

WiFi Config.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.9 KB
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)

WiFi Config.png

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 kongac V3.0-r29620M (OC to 1200MHz) in AP mode
Sponsor
n0kfb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
My internet connection isn't all that fast (40 meg), and I've seen the various speed test apps on the 'net show wildly varying speeds due to 'net congestion, ISP throttling and other reasons.

I test my wireless speed by doing a file transfer over my LAN from one machine to another.

--Dan Meyer
stephensuley
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
n0kfb wrote:
My internet connection isn't all that fast (40 meg), and I've seen the various speed test apps on the 'net show wildly varying speeds due to 'net congestion, ISP throttling and other reasons.

I test my wireless speed by doing a file transfer over my LAN from one machine to another.

--Dan Meyer

what kind of file?

Different file types will produce wildly different tests results.

Location 2-urban) - 1x Asus RT-AC68u (AP)

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Balamut
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using the Tamos Throughput Test. It evaluates network perfomance from the application point of view. I.e. you can see actual speeds that can be achieved by software on your computer (with protocol overheads taken into account).

The tool consist of two parts client/server. The server should be installed on a PC or MAC, connected to the net by wire. The second part installs on a wireless client for testing and enjoing (or not) the results Smile

I've added an example of WiFi stress test running on my macbook.

wlan_status_01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.67 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

wlan_status_01.png

ttt_wlan_test_01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.67 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

ttt_wlan_test_01.png

n0kfb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
stephensuley wrote:
n0kfb wrote:

--Dan Meyer

what kind of file?

Different file types will produce wildly different tests results.

It doesn't matter at all. And at at the same time, as you state, it matters.

Bits are bits. As long as you are measuring bits it won't matter.

I usually use a .mp4 video file. I've also used .mp3 audio files, but as speeds have gone up, bigger compressed files are needed.

--Dan Meyer
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most online flash based speedtests use a .jpg image, choosing which sized one to use based on
your initial connection speed. Images range from hundreds to many thousands of pixels and
most actually look like this ¬

Most folks don't have 30 ~ 100+MB jpg handy --- mp4 works well too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: