buffalo WHR-HP-GN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
lucifer001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:08    Post subject: buffalo WHR-HP-GN Reply with quote
I have falshed the firmware to v24 preSp2[Beta]Build: 14311 .And now I want to flash factory firmware.What shall I do?
Sponsor
justtest.net
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no way to revert to factory firmware as it's encrypted by Buffalo
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
justtest.net wrote:

Where did you get that idea from?

You can not load the Buffalo firmware via web gui but you can load it via tftp just after the router starts up.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
justtest.net wrote:

Where did you get that idea from?

You can not load the Buffalo firmware via web gui but you can load it via tftp just after the router starts up.

Thank you.But I have tryed more times,reboot the route from web gui or replug the power cable.at the
last i can not upload the firmware,always report timeout.Could you tell me which time or what messages appeared then i can upload the firmware?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set your pc to static ip 192.168.11.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.11.1

open a cmd window and type arp -s 192.168.11.1

open your tftp program, enter filename, destination ip and set retries to 100.
Don't start the tftp transfer yet.
(Destination is the router at 192.168.11.1)

Power on the router, wait 5 seconds and then start the tftp transfer at the pc. It will normally take another 5-10 seconds before the transfer starts.

The above works for WHR-HP-G300N which is basically the same router as WHR-HP-GN

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since the arp tables get flushed at disconnect of ethernet (rebooting router) you can make it easier by connecting your PC to a hub, the hub to the router LAN port. Then, the ARP command sticks, and the tftp command can be issued right when you give power to the router.
brycemt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 16:59    Post subject: fantastic!!! Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Set your pc to static ip 192.168.11.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.11.1

open a cmd window and type arp -s 192.168.11.1

open your tftp program, enter filename, destination ip and set retries to 100.
Don't start the tftp transfer yet.
(Destination is the router at 192.168.11.1)

Power on the router, wait 5 seconds and then start the tftp transfer at the pc. It will normally take another 5-10 seconds before the transfer starts.

The above works for WHR-HP-G300N which is basically the same router as WHR-HP-GN

Thank you very much for sharing. I've read a thousand posts regarding this, and all indicated that it was impossible to restore to the original encrypted Buffalo firmware through tftp or otherwise.

I have a Japanese WHR-HP-G300N and flashed to DD-WRT, only to find no ipv6 support. This is needed in Japan for a popular IPTV service. My router essentially became useless.

I've now successfully flashed back to encrypted Buffalo firmware downloaded from their Japanese website, using tftp and LOM's method above.
I restored using a Linux box, and found it important to use the arp command (which also requires the router MAC address as an option).

Goodbye DD-WRT. It is useful in some ways, but ipv6 support is essential for me.

Thanks again LOM. You've helped restore functionality to my beloved Buffalo.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 17:46    Post subject: Re: fantastic!!! Reply with quote
brycemt wrote:

I restored using a Linux box, and found it important to use the arp command (which also requires the router MAC address as an option).

You are of course right, I wrote that post hastily and only from memory.
The arp command needs both the ip address and the mac address of the router.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I succeeded in TFTPing the Buffalo WHR-G300N firmware more than 10 times, but it does not install.
The router will either sit there doing nothing or it will go into flashing red light mode.
I even tried the Ralink telnet command to attempt to get the firmware to install but did not succeed.
Any tips on what to do next?
lesstutrey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is not working. Done it about 100 times on my XP machine to no avail. I don't know how the ARP command could possibly work in XP as stated by robnitro that the ARP cache gets cleared when reconnecting, and i'm not exactly sure how to connect my old wrt54gl to this to do it as a hub as he says since the IPs would be hugely messed up and i'd end up flashing the WRT, not the WHR. DD-WRT and this router are like oil and water, i could talk for hours about how it doesn't function and wonder what buffalo is thinking using it as their official firmware (if that ever gets released) Using tftp2.exe, as well as regular old tftp. No dice. Please help me get back to stock firmware cause i'm sick of this experience. Got HyperWRT+Thibor on the wrt, so can probably setup passthrough mode or something.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kcolyhs wrote:
I succeeded in TFTPing the Buffalo WHR-G300N firmware more than 10 times, but it does not install.
The router will either sit there doing nothing or it will go into flashing red light mode.
I even tried the Ralink telnet command to attempt to get the firmware to install but did not succeed.
Any tips on what to do next?

Connect a serial terminal to the routers internal serial port, you'll need either a 3.3V TTL <-> RS-232 level shifter or 3.3V TLL <-> USB converter so you can log the transfer and if needed give commands to the bootloader for receiving and flashing a firmware.

You mention Ralink, I hope you are aware that there are 2 versions of the WHR-G300N, v1 which is Ralink based and v2 which is Atheros based and that you have used the right firmware version.

If your router is the Ralink based one, then do your follow up posts in the Ralink sub-forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
lesstutrey wrote:
this is not working.

Tell that to those who has succeeded..
Am I supposed to consult my crystal ball to see what kind/version of router you have and which file you have tried to upload?

A serial log is probably needed in order to understand what happens.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router is the exact same one this frekaing topic is on... if you read my post you would realize that (as i say not on the WHR) File i'm trying to upload? The stock firmware from buffalo. either 1.61 or 1.7, i cannot upgrade. How is an arp command going to stick when it get cleared when i reset my connection? So far i only see one person who got this to work anyway.
brycemt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
lesstutrey wrote:
How is an arp command going to stick when it get cleared when i reset my connection? So far i only see one person who got this to work anyway.

Hey mate. As you mention, the arp command is useless before connecting to (or starting up) the router. So, I inputed it just after powering on the router, prior to the tftp transaction.

There is another guy on the forums who has succeeded also. Keep working on it.
LuxFestinus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 17:29    Post subject: Re: buffalo WHR-HP-GN Reply with quote
lucifer001 wrote:
I have falshed the firmware to v24 preSp2[Beta]Build: 14311 .And now I want to flash factory firmware.What shall I do?

Step 1: Burn an Ubuntu Live CD

Step 2: Follow procedures outlined here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Old_install_procedure_.28now_obsolete.29

I have done this several times now and it works. I am now running DD-WRT 14402 but have flashed back to 174 several times.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: