Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
jlw82
DD-WRT User


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue as the person above. The net is getting disconnected when a Virtual Interface is added.

Is this a bug?
Sponsor
blitter
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
IIRC you will need to use the same security settings (password etc) in your virtual interface. So there's no point having a VI, you might as well roam.
rider
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a problem, I have had to reset my router around 5 times now from different attempts. As soon as I change the IP of router number 2, I cannot access the webgui anymore. My connection status changes to limited connectivity, also at this point I have changed my router ip to 192.168.0.2 because my router 1 ip is 192.168.0.1. My computer has been set to obtain IP automatically but I have also made attempts to put a static ip with the following info
IP:192.168.0.3
Domain: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
dns primary: 192.168.0.1

when I try to do an Ip renewal in cmd, it states that it is unable to contact my DHCP server.

Any suggestions?
rider
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
nevermind that issue, I just got through the whole setup without issues. Now I am getting no internet connection though. When i go to status, it says that I am connected to the router, but when i go to my router number 1 site, it doesnt have the mac listed in the connected devices tab, so it doesnt make sense to me.
mikicz
DD-WRT User


Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 67

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
jlw82 wrote:
I have the same issue as the person above. The net is getting disconnected when a Virtual Interface is added.

Is this a bug?


I think so. I used DIR-600 as repeater for couple of months, but after installing r15962 I am not able to get it working. Even on previous builds. I wonder, what could went wrong. I even reflashed the router with original dlink fw and then started over with dd-wrt, but still, i can get it working oly as client, not as repeater.
Fimu
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bri Reply with quote
blitter wrote:
If you want to connect to router B over wifi, you will have to add a Virtual Interface...easy enough in the Wireless tab.


I just finished setting up repeater bridge with your guide and I didn't need to add a virtual interface to connect to router B over wifi. There's no doubt I'm connected to the bridge since I can see my laptop mac address listed as a client connected to ddwrt.

Anyway, cheers. Thank you very much. Everything is much snappier now.
killer23d
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikicz wrote:
jlw82 wrote:
I have the same issue as the person above. The net is getting disconnected when a Virtual Interface is added.

Is this a bug?


I think so. I used DIR-600 as repeater for couple of months, but after installing r15962 I am not able to get it working. Even on previous builds. I wonder, what could went wrong. I even reflashed the router with original dlink fw and then started over with dd-wrt, but still, i can get it working oly as client, not as repeater.


It is a bug on builds from Apr 2010 already and I am back on the March 2010 builds.
dickuk
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
killer23d wrote:
mikicz wrote:
jlw82 wrote:
I have the same issue as the person above. The net is getting disconnected when a Virtual Interface is added.

Is this a bug?


I think so. I used DIR-600 as repeater for couple of months, but after installing r15962 I am not able to get it working. Even on previous builds. I wonder, what could went wrong. I even reflashed the router with original dlink fw and then started over with dd-wrt, but still, i can get it working oly as client, not as repeater.


It is a bug on builds from Apr 2010 already and I am back on the March 2010 builds.


I am using a DLINK DIR-615 d4 and there doesnt seem to be any build before April 2010. Does anyone know any different?
blitter
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 22:19    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bri Reply with quote
Fimu wrote:
blitter wrote:
If you want to connect to router B over wifi, you will have to add a Virtual Interface...easy enough in the Wireless tab.


I just finished setting up repeater bridge with your guide and I didn't need to add a virtual interface to connect to router B over wifi. There's no doubt I'm connected to the bridge since I can see my laptop mac address listed as a client connected to ddwrt.

Anyway, cheers. Thank you very much. Everything is much snappier now.


You're welcome. The quote's original context must have been related to some other question as I've never needed a VI either!
blitter
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
btw everyone, G mode is working magnitudes better with dd-wrt for me than N/mixed was. (set to G both ends).
Creature
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 20:16    Post subject: Re: Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bri Reply with quote
blitter wrote:

You're welcome. The quote's original context must have been related to some other question as I've never needed a VI either!


Hi all,
First of all thank you blitter and all the comunity that make this work.
Second I'm very frustated; I'm tryng to achieve this from more then a week and it was solved from the begining.
The no need of Virtual Interface for dir-615 (please any dd-wrt guru or more experienced user, confirm that) was the confirmation I needed to be able to go on with my next problem.
The configuration that blitter described worked from first day for me, the only problem is that dd-wrt close all his own ports (1723, 80) as well as Nat-wich is normal for RB, but I need and want to use the built in VPN as well as remote management. Is this normal for RB mode?

My Network:
Dir-635 b3, runing original 2.34 as an AP with Printer, HD, Scaner atached to its usb
Dir-615 d3, runing dd-wrt v24 sp2 std 15778 with wired PC, and other wireles devices.

Update:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88198
Finaly managed to add the VI, unfortunately still no VPN. Any Ideea is welcome!
mrg666
DD-WRT User


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 157
Location: North East - USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.
_________________
WNR3500L DD-WRT-18730-Kong Gateway/Firewall/NAS
WRT54G-TM DD-WRT-14929 Mega (heatsink + 250MHz oc)
WHR-G300N DD-WRT-20548(external antennas)
2x E2000 Tomato-Toastman 0501.2 AP (external antennas)
TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 103
Location: Aveiro, Portugal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.



I tried with build 14144, Repeater and Repeater Bridge without virtual interface, and they worked just fine. Tested on DIR600-B1 & DIR300-B1.

Regards,
Jorge Silva

_________________
»»» Marooned »»» by Pink Floyd
mrg666
DD-WRT User


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 157
Location: North East - USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jorge Silva wrote:
mrg666 wrote:
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.



I tried with build 14144, Repeater and Repeater Bridge without virtual interface, and they worked just fine. Tested on DIR600-B1 & DIR300-B1.

Regards,
Jorge Silva


Thanks! I also have repeater bridge currently working fine with 15778. Did you try with any newer build than this? I can not make it work with the latest builds.

_________________
WNR3500L DD-WRT-18730-Kong Gateway/Firewall/NAS
WRT54G-TM DD-WRT-14929 Mega (heatsink + 250MHz oc)
WHR-G300N DD-WRT-20548(external antennas)
2x E2000 Tomato-Toastman 0501.2 AP (external antennas)
TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 103
Location: Aveiro, Portugal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrg666 wrote:
Jorge Silva wrote:
mrg666 wrote:
Is there anyone who tried repeater bridge with a build later than 15778? I would appreciate any feedback since I can't get repeater bridge working after 15778.



I tried with build 14144, Repeater and Repeater Bridge without virtual interface, and they worked just fine. Tested on DIR600-B1 & DIR300-B1.

Regards,
Jorge Silva


Thanks! I also have repeater bridge currently working fine with 15778. Did you try with any newer build than this? I can not make it work with the latest builds.


No i haven't.But seems that problem with Virtual Interfaces remains in the same state and some other stuffs that should be working by now.I have flashed 3 Asus Wl-520G and 1 USR-5461 ( both Broadcom based ) and they worked quite well. I guess that the ralink and atheros routers are as second option.Basically DD-WRT is made for broadcom ( correct me if i'm wrong ).

Regards,
Jorge Silva

_________________
»»» Marooned »»» by Pink Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum