Potential for WHR-G300N v2 support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had no problems but here are a few suggestions:

1. Put Router switch in Router mode
2. Hold Router reset button for 30 secs.
3. 30/30/30 procedure - see WIKI installation notes.
4. What subnet was buffalo previously in? - the Buffalo default 192.168.11.1 or had you changed it?
5. What lights are showing?
Sponsor
disz4me
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
any advice on rolling back dd-wrt to buffalo firmware Smile
jammy75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, my plan was to use the whr-g300nv2 as a wireless bridge to connect a pc and xbox360 (which are on the ground floor) onto my existing wireless network which is based on the first floor and is done through virgin bb and an edimax BR-6574n (manufacures firmware). The network originally worked fine until my netgear 606 died, I purchased a whr-g300nv2 as a replacement, changed the firmware using the links from REPASSAC, but am unable to change the ip address of the buffalo, I get error on page and it won't save the info, I can alter and save the info I input on the other tabs. Has any had this problem and if so how did you alter it?

Thanks.
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
What connection type did you specify?
I am no dd-wrt expert but I would think there is sonething illogical in youy setting combination.
can you cut and paste the settings.

I would have expected the IP address to come from DHCP.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
disz4me wrote:
any adviceon how to go back from dd-wrt to buffalo firmware.
I have followed all the guides, run in ubuntu used tftp all to no avail. is there something i am missing or cant this be done on this router ?

Can be done.
Works in the same way as for WZR-HP-G300NH and WHR-HP-G300N.
Using the right IP addresses and using the right region firmware is a must.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
REPASSAC wrote:
I am no dd-wrt expert but I would think there is sonething illogical in youy setting combination.

I followed the info from the following link about wifi bridge,
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I have set the ip addresses for the 3 PC's and 360 as I was getting the getting the odd conflict when friends came over with fancy phones. The DCHP issues ip addresses starting at 10 going to 30. I've tried the 30-30-30 reset and then altering the the buffalo's ip before changing anything else and still get the same "error on page" message.
Boulder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
What dd-wrt firmware revision have you tried? r14929 doesn't seem to work with wireless bridge when installed on the client bridge device (secondary), using it on the AP (primary) has no problems.
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jammy75 - I will play a bit with this tommorow as I have some time free and the problem is interesting and I may well be able to use it in the future.
jammy75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used the r14815 firmware, just figured out how to get to the other brainslayer firmwares for the g300nv2, I'll have a go with some of the other ones.
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
jammy75 wrote:
REPASSAC wrote:

I followed the info from the following link about wifi bridge,
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I have set the ip addresses for the 3 PC's and 360 as I was getting the getting the odd conflict when friends came over with fancy phones. The DCHP issues ip addresses starting at 10 going to 30. I've tried the 30-30-30 reset and then altering the the buffalo's ip before changing anything else and still get the same "error on page" message.

I had a good play with this and it seems to me that something needs to be done on the master router - My Netgear has settings for this that requires the mac address of slaves to be entered.

"Wireless Base Station.
Select this only if this WNR3500v2 router is the master for a group of Repeater-mode wireless stations. The other Repeater-mode wireless stations must be set to Wireless Repeater mode, using this router's MAC address. They then send all traffic to this master, rather than communicate directly with each other. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this traffic.

If this option is selected, you must enter the MAC addresses of the other access points in the fields provided."

I did not manage to get client-bridge mode working but I also tried the wireless client mode which was simple to get working and suppors DHCP.
[Use different subnet, connection type DHCP, Set up DHCP pool, Wireless setting as before]
On Main router: [Set up address reservation for DD-WRT, configure static route for DD-WRT's subnet using address reservation.]

I don't see any disadvantages in using client mode rather than client bridge mode, only advantages.

May play some more tommorow.
p.s. used build 14929.
Did not have problems entering IP address etc.
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now have the client bridge mode working as well.

From other posts http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77127&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 I see that others have problems with this mode in build 14929.

Firstly flash build 14896 http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F08-07-10-r14896%2Fbuffalo_whr_g300nv2/.

Then setup
Local IP address [outside to main routers address pool] i used 192.168.0.200
S/net mast 255.255.255.0
Gateway [Main router IP]
Local DNS if you have a local one use that or enter ISP's
Tick assign IP to switch.

Save settings

On Wireless tab - set client bridge, Mixed, full 20, main router SSID and in advanced set your country WHY is Regulatory Domain in advanced settings?
Save and apply.
Reboot Buffalo - I rebooted main router first as well.

The client on the client-bridge was assigned an IP from the main routers pool [so the documentation is a little out of date there]

Then > Status > Wireless > Site Survey > Join

I still prefer the flexability of the client setup rather than the client-bridge.
jammy75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the help and info Repassac, I'll have a go and let you know if I get online with the the ground floor pc.
supportingit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there will be a build that includes openvpn available?

Its an 8mb flash router, so should fit.

Cheers.
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
supportingit wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be a build that includes openvpn available?

Its an 8mb flash router, so should fit.

Cheers.

Current builds include VPN functions - I have tested using the main router config where router logs on to a VPN server via PPTP. There is also config to run a VPN server and/or Client.

I played a bit with the client but did not understand sufficient to get the client used for a specific route.

I don't know if that amounts to openvpn or not.
jammy75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Managed to get it working, but only when I set the grd floor pc up on the first floor, the bridge was 2 metres away from the access point, had a signal of 65%, took it all back to the ground floor and get 30% signal and no internet. My old netgear 606 used to get 75% on the grd floor and that was only a b/g bridge. Guess that's why the G300n was only £20, might try the external antenal mod. Thanks for the help Repassac.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: