Best Router for DD-WRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Nisei
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here.
My WRT54GL is still going strong but since I'm on 30Mb cable now it's pretty much reached it top WAN speed. I'm sure my provider will give me a free speed update within a year or so and then the WRT54GL just can't handle it anymore. The problem is that manufacturers don't seem to list the WAN to LAN speeds in the specs so it's a hell of a job to find something which suits my needs Sad
Sponsor
flammable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ditto. I'm looking to buy a new router, and I've got a short list of stipulations:

• 802.11n support
  • Gigabit ethernet
  • Less than $100 US
  • Dual band - simultaneous 802.11n and 802.11g without a speed drop
  • Can run some version of DD-WRT - Mini meets my needs

I don't care about manufacturer, though I'm leaning towards Linksys because I've been happy with my two WRT54Gs. I've heard good things about Buffalo. I always get D-Link and Netgear mixed up, and as one was really terrible - I tend to avoid both.

A separate list of recommended routers would probably do the job. If we're looking for something more extensible, the current router database could expand to include additional hardware specs. External antenna support, dual band, ethernet port speeds, 802.11 support, etc. Then, allow mixing and matching of hardware specs to filter the database down to a selection of routers.

I'd be happy with a list, though. There are some incredibly smart people here, I'm sure everyone's got a recommendation - let's hear it!
nightops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 16:03    Post subject: @flammable Reply with quote
@flammable - a Dual Simultaneous 802.11n wireless router for under $100? Not new.. no way. Good luck finding them used as well. For Linksys, you'd be looking at either the older WRT600n, or the newer WRT610n. The WRT600n and the v1.0 of the WRT610n are now supported on DD-WRT. Eko is working tremendously hard on supporting the WRT610n v2, but I'm not sure if he's even gotten his hands on one yet. BTW, the WRT600n sells for around $220 wherever you can find it, typically going up to $300. The WRT610n (any version) is hitting around $140. You can get it from NewEgg right now for $139.95 with free S&H. That's your best bet...but I can almost guarantee you it will be a version 2.0, which isn't supported yet via DD-WRT.
flammable
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, nightops - I forgot to come back here and post what I ended up doing.

I bought a Linksys WRT310N, used, on eBay. Was about $70. It works alright - the range isn't great (we've got a three story house, and it barely makes it past the first floor). No external antenna ports, so this can't be tweaked. Also, not dual band, so I made it 802.11n-only, and connected my old Linksys WRT54G as a client router - and made a separate wireless network for the 802.11g devices we've still got. The iPod Touch is still 802.11g, unfortunately.

Two separate wireless networks is confusing to other people, but luckily the 802.11n clients can drop down to 802.11g and hop on the other network, if they're closer to one router than the other.

I'm happy with the gigabit ethernet, though. It's connected two segments of the network, and kept things running quickly. And, of course, it runs DD-WRT perfectly. I went with the WRT310N because all of the models were supported, so I could guarantee it would run DD-WRT.

Oh, one other downside: this thing gets hot! I didn't believe the people who were setting up fans next to their routers, but man...even with the rubber feet, this made a black spot on the hardwood floor. Bought some larger rubber feet to give it some more airflow, that seems to have helped (also, mounted it on the wall).

I'd love to replace this with a better router - one with better range and dual-band. There was a Buffalo one that looked good on NewEgg, but they sold out a while ago. Not in a hurry, though.

Thanks for the write-up, though - was hoping prices would drop sooner, but there doesn't seem to be enough of a demand for 802.11n yet (heck, gigabit ethernet has been out for years, but it's now becoming prevalent in routers because we're hitting the limits of 10/100 with fiber).
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:29    Post subject: The best current router for DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hi,

After reading this forum, I have decided to buy the Linksys WRT610N v1. Does this unit have the Broadcom chipset that I have read is the best one around? I have found only one listing online for the WRT610N that are specifically the v1 (while all others are unspecified). It was for $137 shipped. Is this a good price?

Is this in fact the best True N router that is DD-WRT compatible?

Any ETA on when the WRT610N v2 will be supported by DD-WRT?

Thanks for the info! Very Happy
kingdruid
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whats the best cheapest router that support 1GB instead of 10/100mb?

I was looking at the WL-520GU and the WRT54GL, but they are both only 10/100mb.
albatross83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kingdruid wrote:
Whats the best cheapest router that support 1GB instead of 10/100mb?

I was looking at the WL-520GU and the WRT54GL, but they are both only 10/100mb.

You're probably better off just buying a dedicated gigabit switch and connecting it to one of the LAN ports of whatever router you buy. You can get a 5-Port switch for around $25-$35, whereas router manufacturers charge a $50+ premium for built-in gigabit.
loki993
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any recommendations? The list on the front page seems a bit dated.
What I'm looking for is Fast, solid and cheap. Used and refurbs are fine.

This will be running in G only so I don't need N and Gigabit ethernet isn't a big deal either. Si I guess basically the best performing G router there is at a reasonable price. Whats out there that's cheap? Under $50 if possible and readily available.
Digital2d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
A nice update to this list would be great
jeffrey1790
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
this router appears to be good.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45265&vpn=RT-N16&manufacture=ASUS

128MB ram, 32MB FLASH for $100CDN.
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
as the page was last updated in 2006 its a bit out of date
what would be the best/value for money at the moment
i only need wireless g
and cheap
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for a new router too since my WRT54GSv4 can't handle my new internet speeds...

What is the best router at the moment which can run DD-WRT, in fact; it's a must! Razz

Donater
zapp22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 19:56    Post subject: ditto Reply with quote
same here.
either router or bridge. my primary is going strong.

tried to bridge a TP-Link WR541G. it does not work. somewhere under the hood, they alter a bunch of settings when you simply check "Bridge", and don't tell you what happened, and force WEP, and their WEP key algorithms are messed up. what's legal to DD-WRT may not be legal etc. sent back to newegg.

so, a cheap router that can take DD-WRT, or a cheap bridge. which?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Anybody with a suggestion for the "ultimate" router ?
Anything with .11n and external antenna
zapp22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear WGR614 is, if not the cheapest, at least in the ballpark for "cheap", @ $39.82.
I plan to use it as a bridge or a client extension to my existing wrt54gl

Navigation

Jump to: