Best Router for DD-WRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
zapp22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Acid-Drop wrote:
Hi guys,

Anybody with a suggestion for the "ultimate" router ?
Anything with .11n and external antenna

good question, and I'm looking forward to some answers. But could you set a budget-ceiling on this? as otherwise your answers are going to be less relevant.

I would suggest a ceiling of $80, unless you're dealing with commercial installations.

The humble but universally-applauded WRT54GL is the "ultimate" to a lot of us with tight budges but I don't know that it has been updated to .11n

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
For many who run across thread from a web search there is a FAQ on the Wiki that gives a nice current summary:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F
scoombes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok heres the scenario I have

I live in the basement of a pretty large house right now so wireless is the only way to get internet to the basement. The wireless router we have at the moment is a wrt-400n router and using a wga600n adapter plugged into a switch to supply my room with internet. Now it works most of the time but if I do any gaming for extended periods of time like playing wow itll start disconnecting and what not.

So i was thinking of loading ddwrt onto my 400n and then purchasing another wireless N router also loading ddwrt on it and have it act as a repeater bridge on the middle floor of the house. Now what I need to do is if this is possible with ddwrt and if so what do you guys think the best router(s) would be for this situation I have no problem with replacing the 400n i have if to I just want solid and reliable internet through out the house. Oh and I know im not using the wga600n for its actual purposes so if you guys have any ideas for replacing that id appreciate that too
crazyzeke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
zapp22 wrote:
Netgear WGR614 is, if not the cheapest, at least in the ballpark for "cheap", @ $39.82.
I plan to use it as a bridge or a client extension to my existing wrt54gl

I'd stay away from those personally... in fact that was the model which forced me to look into DD-WRT in the first place because the firmware was hopeless. Did almost nothing useful.

I have WGR614 v9 and I can't even use it as a bridge because it only supports WEP in that mode, and I refuse to run below WPA2-AES. DD-WRT isn't supported on this model in any shape or form.

Looking at the specs, it is clear that out of the Linksys WRT54 range, the WRT54GS model versions 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 are the cream of the crop. Most RAM, good processor speed, can use the SES button for other things like scripts. Other than missing Wireless N support, seems like a good choice for broadband connections that are 10MB/s or less.
tsubus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
this thread seems a bit confusing, maybe someone could help, as I have never dealt with DD-WRT.

I'm looking for a fully DD-WRT compatible router. The features I am looking for:
1) Wireless N support
2) Gigabit ports
3) ipv6 (6to4) support with HE (I guess that's in the DD-WRT firmware, not quite sure).
4) Must be fully supported by DD-WRT

Judging from the thread, the WRT600N would be a safe bet, but it is discontinued and I prefer something easier to find.

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated.

edit: forgot to say that as of now, my top-choice would be the ASUS RT-N16. Anything you can say (bad/good) about this?
dopalgangr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tsubus wrote:
this thread seems a bit confusing, maybe someone could help, as I have never dealt with DD-WRT.

I'm looking for a fully DD-WRT compatible router. The features I am looking for:
1) Wireless N support
2) Gigabit ports
3) ipv6 (6to4) support with HE (I guess that's in the DD-WRT firmware, not quite sure).
4) Must be fully supported by DD-WRT

Judging from the thread, the WRT600N would be a safe bet, but it is discontinued and I prefer something easier to find.

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated.

edit: forgot to say that as of now, my top-choice would be the ASUS RT-N16. Anything you can say (bad/good) about this?

Any updates on this? I'm looking for the same attributes but would also require 1 usb port. Thanks!!
snaimpally
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 21:40    Post subject: wireless n router Reply with quote
I have been researching this topic. The highest rated router seems to be the Netgear WNDR3700. While it has come down in price, its still around $150. Two top rated N routers that are cheaper (about half the price of the WNDR3700) are the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and the Dlink DIR-655. All of them support DD-WRT.

I just picked up a Cisco WRT400N from Newegg. Its a simultaneous dual band so I can set up my blu-ray player for one band and other devices for the other band.
dannyellis1987
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the DIR-655 actually supported? If you go to downloads, it says not possible?
Jnnfranke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:49    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote
dannyellis1987 wrote:
Is the DIR-655 actually supported? If you go to downloads, it says not possible?

I've a Dlink brand, but I'm not happier with it, But it's download speed so much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:09    Post subject: This might help... Reply with quote
I have played with the following routers: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, Netgear WNR834Bv1, Linksys WRT54GV7, Netgear WNDR3700, and Asus RT-N13U. They all have their ups and downs, but I have to say that Asus has their butts in gear. I've tried the most up-to-date firmwares, DD-WRT, Tomato, and OpenWRT on all of them supported.

The Breakdown:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH - DD-wrt support is still a no-go in my opinion without a custom QoS since wifi drops out regularly. It doesn't come back either. This stands as well with the buffalo dist. DD-WRT package. I use Kamikaze backfire OpenWRT's latest release for the G300NH and although wifi drops are still fairly common at around 4-7 hour intervals, the driver configuration OPENWRT deploys seems to recognize this and auto-resets the radio on the router when it stops responding to pings to its local hosts. Otherwise, this thing is impossible to tank through any conventional or deliberate means. It just does it on its own occasionally. It torrents, streams, and downloads like a champ with tons of features like network storage, local torrent support, and all the regulars. All-in-all a great router for processor-intensive applications so long as you never intend to use it for gaming as it will kick you out of your game everytime. Users have experienced problems installing 3rd party firmware on certain versions of this router, also another thing to factor in when deciding whether or not to buy.

Linksys WRT54G - Not much needs to be said here. It's a solid router with many strengths. It's rather dated so torrents can easily tank it but it fits almost any other role just fine with minimal wifi dropouts if any at all. I think tomato actually works the best on these, despite it being a DD-WRT showcase. I feel it's worth mentioning that the one I have is really old, yet it works like brand new and I don't anticipate it will fail any day soon. Such quality is commendable.

Netgear 3700 - Looks awesome on paper with crap loads of functions including dual-band support. It's expensive so I took it back because it reminded me of the buffalo with it's random wifi dropouts. Again, it's impossible to crash it, but it will end up doing it on it's own periodically regardless of firmware installed on the unit. I did find DD-WRT to be the best for making it as useful as possible. I'd rank it above the buffalo, but only ignoring the pricetag and because it looks better on paper, despite there being no concievable way to crash either router. Plus it actually successfully supports DD-WRT and recovers from its drop-outs nicely.

Netgear WNR834Bv1 - It was technically a pre-N N-capable router with slightly better-than wrt54G specs. It seems to be capable of light torrent usage with some wifi drop-outs. Not as much as the 3700 and the G300NH, but it has great DD-WRT support and that makes this router usable since stock firmware makes it a horrid excuse for a wireless router. I'd say this is a good router too, but don't use it for gaming either. Additionally, don't count on being able to have any more than around 100 torrent IP connects while using it for anything else.

Asus RT-N13U - This is definitely my favorite with almost all of the options of the money-hogs, half the footprint of the smallest one of them, a cheap pricetag, and an amazing stock firmware GUI. The way the firmware is presented along with the ease of accessing all of the options is great and the SNMP-style interface is also asthetically pleasing. I have had zero wifi dropouts in days (I monitor it with pings in 2-second intervals). I haven't crashed it yet and without any serious bandwidth hogs running, it sports by far the lowest latency of anything I've ever seen with between 10 and 19 milliseconds. Like the rest though, it has a few problems. With medium to heavy torrenting, I saw latency increases, but nothing serious beyond that which would making gaming impossible while using torrents. Additionally, W7 reports my current wifi speeds to be somewhere around 50MBPS, which is hardly the advertised 300. My Wireless NIC does not possess the ability to specify wireless N only, nor does it have an option to force 40 MHZ channels. The router's default upgraded firmware apparently also lacks the ability to force channel width and I have wireless G hosts, so I cannot force it to N-only. It would appear that when given a choice, the router defaults to a lower wifi speed, which I will probably end up fixing by consulting the hard-working group of genuises at DD-WRT for some of their great software. It is a shame because I really do love the firmware the thing comes with. DD-WRT programmers should take note on the layout and graphics but pack that excellent config-options suite into it.

In conclusion, bang for the buck, I'd go with Asus all the way. Though the buffalo is a great choice provided you're willing to go through the painstaking process of installing the least user-friendly GUI known to man. I'd almost rather control the whole shebang through SSH commands. :-/ The 3700 is just too damn expensive when the bufflo is virtually identical in strength. I hope this helps a little bit with at least knocking down a few routers you may be considering. I've started collecting these things and don't plan to stop. I'll keep posting new replies here when I get new ones or find a perfect one that satisfies me enough to stop looking. I get them all used on craigslist for a fraction of the cost of buying them new. So far, I've spent a total of 175 dollars on 5 routers. Can't beat that since at the time I bought the 3700, it cost more than that by itself.
Qhochalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 23:04    Post subject: Thanks for the write-up! Reply with quote
@edunn28243-
Dude, you rock. You are the kind of poster this forum needs.

Noob messing with stuff above my paygrade.
breebop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router information was very helpful, I am leaning toward the WRT54GL as it sounds like it is the easiest to setup and I do not require much in the way of speed. Here is my specific situation:

-have to setup wireless network on the fly to commission networked lighting equipment
-need to be able to freely roam the site
-budget not so much an issue, lets say 400$ total
- would like a range of 100ft in diameter

Here is what i was thinking: 3 WRT54GL, one central and two in repeater mode. I was also thinking of adding 9dBi antennas to all three routers. I will then walk around and connect to whichever router is closest in range. Does this make sense?
abidkhan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
if i can revert my TLWR841ND back to its original firmware i will probably go for the asus one.

my friends have been praising it alot.

we dont really have a range problem in Hong Kong but the router must withstand alot noise and electronic interference, as u guessed it...its impossible to do cableing in Home, too messy

the major problem i am getting now is that if i do lots of torrenting the WR841ND simply stops serving my other devices, even with QOS enabled..

i think Asus will be my next choice...its a bit pricey for me, but i am sick of loosing connectivity!
einsteinz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI

I'm new here and I would like to know the router with BEST RANGE and of course I need a very stable signal. I don't want to need to reset it.
bartjoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Best router for DD-WRT and LAN-TO-LAN (site to site)settings Reply with quote
Hello, i want to setup al LAN-TO-LAN / SITE to SITE connection with my DDWRT software.
I used the tutorial
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_routed_VPN_between_two_routers#Advanced_Configuration:_Multiple_routed_networks

It works! but, it works with 1,5MB/s. It must be 7MB/s. When i turn off the encryption it is 2,5 MB/s. NOT 7 MB/s. I use the TPlink 1043 on both sides. I think the router is to slow for (de)encyption and VPN connection.
Who can help me in the settings OR
which router is fast enought for DD-WRT and a Site-to-site connection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: